Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yenni

Gluten And Legume/soy Free Licorice?

I LOVE licorice and haven't been able to find any gluten and legume/soy free one. Does anyone know of any???

(I was looking at Gimbals but they use Soy in their facilities it said on their page. I did write them an e-mail about how they used it and on all machines..but it is probably out when I am very sensitive to that stuff.)

One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).

Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)

Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I found these; St. Claire's Organics

Anyone tried their licorice? Does it taste "normal" (now I don't think Red Wines or any of that red stuff is licorice)?

Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)

I LOVE licorice and haven't been able to find any gluten and legume/soy free one. Does anyone know of any???

(I was looking at Gimbals but they use Soy in their facilities it said on their page. I did write them an e-mail about how they used it and on all machines..but it is probably out when I am very sensitive to that stuff.)

Gah! I didn't know Gimbals had soy. It says they do process soy but the few kinds of things I bought from them didn't list it. Actually daughter didn't care for them anyway so it didn't really matter.

Anyway... Running Rabbit is quite good if it is the true licorice flavor you want. Here's a link but I've bought it elsewhere. Our local Central Market carries it.

http://www.gluten free.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=951023

The raspberry flavor does have a licorice aftertaste so if you're looking for something like Twizzlers, that's not it.

If that's what you want, then you might like Candy Tree. Yet another link:

http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/can...orice-vines.htm

I found these; St. Claire's Organics

Anyone tried their licorice? Does it taste "normal" (now I don't think Red Wines or any of that red stuff is licorice)?

Those are weird. They might "taste" fine but they don't have a chewy texture. I'm not sure exactly how to describe them in texture. Sort of like an Altoid or a Wintergreen lozenge. And if I recall correctly no matter the flavor they all have the same brownish color. I can't say that I cared for them.

Gah! I didn't know Gimbals had soy. It says they do process soy but the few kinds of things I bought from them didn't list it. Actually daughter didn't care for them anyway so it didn't really matter.

Anyway... Running Rabbit is quite good if it is the true licorice flavor you want. Here's a link but I've bought it elsewhere. Our local Central Market carries it.

<a href="http://www.gluten free.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=951023" target="external ugc nofollow">http://www.gluten free.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=951023</a>

The raspberry flavor does have a licorice aftertaste so if you're looking for something like Twizzlers, that's not it.

If that's what you want, then you might like Candy Tree. Yet another link:

http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/can...orice-vines.htm

I have read that soy is used to keep things from sticking to things. I know it is commonly used with cough drops for example. It is a cheap product I guess so very popular. So maybe they are using it for that...

I'll post the answer I get from Gimbals about the soy when I get it. Nothing so far.

I can't get the first link to work. I tried to remove some stuff in it but still nothing.

The second link/licorice is out for me when I am allergic to strawberry and cherries. Looked like they used that in all of the flavors...

Thanks for posting them though. =)

I like the proper licorice. The salty kind mostly, but that seems hard to find in a gluten free form. I am originally from Sweden and licorice is big over there. Usually very different licorice from over here in the US but I'll take what I can get. ;)

Those are weird. They might "taste" fine but they don't have a chewy texture. I'm not sure exactly how to describe them in texture. Sort of like an Altoid or a Wintergreen lozenge. And if I recall correctly no matter the flavor they all have the same brownish color. I can't say that I cared for them.

I have tried a Key Lime candy and a Raspberry one from this brand and they are a bit weird in the texture. Fall apart in the mouth kinda. I am pretty desperate so I'll probably end up trying some but I'll keep on looking for other stuff too because it doesn't sound like a winner. :blink::P

Thanks for the reply.

Okay, here is the answer from Kimball's.

Hello Jenny,

Highly refined soybean oil is used in 3 of our ingredients. 2 of the ingredients are used in Raspberries & Blackberries & the other ingredient is used Spearmint Leaves A complete clean-up is done after running these products to prevent cross contamination. Please contact me if you have any further questions.

Thank You.

I have read that soy is used to keep things from sticking to things. I know it is commonly used with cough drops for example. It is a cheap product I guess so very popular. So maybe they are using it for that...

I'll post the answer I get from Gimbals about the soy when I get it. Nothing so far.

I can't get the first link to work. I tried to remove some stuff in it but still nothing.

The second link/licorice is out for me when I am allergic to strawberry and cherries. Looked like they used that in all of the flavors...

I like the proper licorice. The salty kind mostly, but that seems hard to find in a gluten free form. I am originally from Sweden and licorice is big over there. Usually very different licorice from over here in the US but I'll take what I can get. ;)

Hi,

here's that first link you mentioned...there was a space between 'gluten' and 'free' in the URL, hard to spot!

http://www.gluten free.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=951023

HTH

EDIT: something in the bulletin board software seems to be adding that space, I can't edit it out or anything. weird! you could just copy/paste the link and delete that extra space that gets added, I suppose.

~ Jenn

The first link is for Running Rabbit brand. It is real licorice and they do make the black kind but it's not salthy.

I tried the St. Claires's Organics brand finally and I actually kinda liked it. I like some of their others stuff too. I guess I am just glad there is something I can eat when it comes to candy. ;) Not too picky these days.