Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nursey70

Fat And Full

hello everyone,

i'm new here and am searching for answers. i really never thought much about celiac until i accidently came across some information and thought it might be a possibility.

i'm a 39 year old mom to two boys. work part time as a rn. for the past six months i've had so many strange symtpoms and am undiagnosed as of yet.

my symptoms

brain fog/dizzyness (kind of feel like i walk around drunk (and i'm not) and just can't shake it.

muscle aches/pain

no energy

sleep disturbance

weakness

irritibility

constant sinus congestion

dry skin, peeling hands

some tingling in strange places

abdominal bloating

excessive gas (i've never had this problem before)

i don't each much and don't lose weight

always feel full (and i've always been a good eater, i'm not small i'm 5'1, 145lbs)

bowel movements (four times a day, sorry but they're like tootsie rolls and my children's 5/6 are much bigger than mine)

i'm just not the same person anymore. yesterday i ate a blueberry muffin and two slices of pizza, that's it. and i'm still full and not hungry this morning.

i've been to a neurologist for possible ms, mri of head and c spine negative, neuro exam negative, went for an eng for vertigo, negative, cat scan of head negative, cardiac workup negative, tsh, folate, b12, cbc, chem 7, lyme, sed rate all normal. even had a mamogram, normal. went to ortho for sciatic pain, hips and knees normal. went to opthamologist, eyes normal, don't even need glasses. i go back to my primary next week.

does anyone have suggestions? has celiac presented like this and taken this long for dx for anyone?

thanks for listening, i'm just so tired of feeling like this and i'm starting to become very frightened i have some sort of cancer.

karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

hello everyone,

i'm new here and am searching for answers. i really never thought much about celiac until i accidently came across some information and thought it might be a possibility.

i'm a 39 year old mom to two boys. work part time as a rn. for the past six months i've had so many strange symtpoms and am undiagnosed as of yet.

my symptoms

brain fog/dizzyness (kind of feel like i walk around drunk (and i'm not) and just can't shake it.

muscle aches/pain

no energy

sleep disturbance

weakness

irritibility

constant sinus congestion

dry skin, peeling hands

some tingling in strange places

abdominal bloating

excessive gas (i've never had this problem before)

i don't each much and don't lose weight

always feel full (and i've always been a good eater, i'm not small i'm 5'1, 145lbs)

bowel movements (four times a day, sorry but they're like tootsie rolls and my children's 5/6 are much bigger than mine)

i'm just not the same person anymore. yesterday i ate a blueberry muffin and two slices of pizza, that's it. and i'm still full and not hungry this morning.

i've been to a neurologist for possible ms, mri of head and c spine negative, neuro exam negative, went for an eng for vertigo, negative, cat scan of head negative, cardiac workup negative, tsh, folate, b12, cbc, chem 7, lyme, sed rate all normal. even had a mamogram, normal. went to ortho for sciatic pain, hips and knees normal. went to opthamologist, eyes normal, don't even need glasses. i go back to my primary next week.

does anyone have suggestions? has celiac presented like this and taken this long for dx for anyone?

thanks for listening, i'm just so tired of feeling like this and i'm starting to become very frightened i have some sort of cancer.

karen

I had the symptoms that I highlighted above. I had other symptoms as well that I never would have thought of as symptoms or put together as manifestations of one disease. Check out csaceliacs.org Celias Spru Association for a list of symptoms. I'm sure there's one here too. I was always thin but started gaining weight as my symptoms got worse. My short response is that it sounds like it could be celiac disease. I was sick for 8 years before I found help and answers.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Hi Karen, and welcome :)

Believe it or not, I had every one of your symptoms--except that I had diahrrea plus anemia. I'm also the mom of two (now grown) boys :D

I was sick for about 20 years before I was diagnosed correctly. I went to numerous doctors in 3 states over the years--had CT scans, blood and stool testing, was put on steroids (pills and injections), and so many rounds of antibiotics that I'm allergic to most now.

I also had trouble losing weight. I was always about 15-20 lbs overweight, no matter how little I ate. The only time I lost weight easily was when I tried the Atkins diet several years ago--of course that makes sense now because I was eating almost no carbs--so no gluten!

If you suspect Celiac, and since you're eating gluten now, I would suggest you get the full Celiac Blood Panel done--that would be a good first step. As a nurse, I'm sure you know to ask for the complete panel-

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

Best of luck :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Welcome to the board.

I had the majority of your symptoms for over 30 years. Plus, I would get what I called mini flu's several times a month with vomiting. I could never get anyone to take me seriously. I was 50 to 60 pounds overweight and worked out daily. Then about 4 years ago, I became what they call the classic Celiac when I started dropping the weight and started having D big time. Finally my GP thought of Celiac as he thought I was bulimic or anorexic, because of the huge weight loss.

I now am a size 8 and eat far more then I ever did when I was so overweight.

I also used to worry that I had cancer. Be sure to keep eating plenty of gluten for your blood tests. They also might want to do an endoscopy and that also requires that you keep eating gluten.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

Jerseyangel, I have a question for you. I had blood work done that came back negative, however, I'm not sure what was done was right. I had two separate blood draws. The first was from my family physician's office and they did (as part of a general food allergy panel):

gliadin AB (IGA,IGG)

gliadin AB IGG

They were both negative.

Then, the GI's office did another blood draw and they did:

IGA, serum

TTG AB, IGA

They were both negative.

Are they these the same things that you recommended that missy'smom get?

Dx'd with lymphocytic colitis 1/07

Dx'd by Enterolab 3/07--+IgA, +Ttg, DQ2 and DQ8

Dx'd celiac by Dr. Lewey 4/07--without +blood or biopsy

gluten-free 3/7/07