Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest lorlyn

Whole Food Store

Guest lorlyn

We have a whole food store opening in my area in 9 days. What gluten free foods bread, muffins etc.. do they carry? Are they premade? My daughter and husband are starving for some good bread and baked goods. Any advice would be welcomed. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest cassidy

Their bread and baked goods are amazing! I am very jealous that you will have one nearby. I usually only buy things there that I can't find anywhere else because I think they are over-priced in general, but their baked goods are the best. I don't like any other gluten-free bread but their sundried tomato is great, as is their cinnamon raisin. I love their banana bread - it tastes like the real thing. Their brand is called Gluten Free Bakehouse and in the stores I've been in everything is frozen and is in it's own freezer. Some stores carry different items. The only thing that I wasn't impressed with is their pizza crust.

They also carry Bell & Evans chicken tenders and nuggets which are wonderful.

I have to travel 2 hours to get to a store but I go there every few months and spoil myself.

Whole Foods not only carries many gluten free products (crackers, cookies, mixes, pastas), but they also carry their own line of gluten free products. It is called the "gluten free bakehouse" and is in a frozen section, near the regular bakery. All of their items are together in one place. I LOVE THEM!!!!! I could not live without their pizza crusts and buttermilk biscuits. Their pies are great, too.

They are all made in a dedicated gluten free facility. One of the head bakers is a Celiac, and he started this for WF.

this link gives you all the info on their bakehouse products: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/b..._bakehouse.html

We have a whole food store opening in my area in 9 days. What gluten free foods bread, muffins etc.. do they carry? Are they premade? My daughter and husband are starving for some good bread and baked goods. Any advice would be welcomed. :P

Your life will be much easier with Whole Foods nearby. However, your wallet will much lighter. They make a Prairie Bread in the freezer section which is quite good. ($5.50 per loaf). Even my son will eat it. We just tried Glutino corn bread and it was not good at all. Glutino bagels, however, are good. They also carry alot of Amy's products, like rice crust pizza, which also passed the taste test. A few other items on our favorites lists are - 365 (that's Whole Foods brand) popcorn, Pamela's chocolate chunk cookies and Glutino mac and cheese (better than Amy's)

Happy shopping!

Rosy

I've shopped at many different Whole Foods and they seem to handle the gluten-free bakery items differently. My current one (pittsburgh) has a rack of thawed stuff (in the middle of the glutinous bakery stuff no less), but they're happy to go in back and get me whatever I want from the freezer. I do this because the shelf life after thawing isn't very long and I want to know WHEN it was thawed. The gluten-free stuff is all done out of one bakery in NC and shipped (frozen) nationwide. I REALLY like the prairie bread (although, like all gluten-free bread, it's best warm), and the bananna bread. The pies are good too, but expensive. It's a splurge for me.

I wish I had a Whole Foods nearer to me, I drove over an hour. I have to say the biscuits are great!!! I can't wait till I get to go back again. I want to try one of the pies.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

The items I generally buy at Whole Foods (that I can't find at Stop n' Shop) are:

- San J Wheat Free Soy Sauce

- Blue Diamond Nut thin crackers

- WF gluten-free Bakehoue Banana Bread - (not every shopping trip, just if I'm in the mood)

- WF gluten-free Bakehouse Carrot Cake - (not every shopping trip, just if I'm in the mood)

- WF gluten-free Bakehoue Pecan Pie - (not every shopping trip, just if I'm in the mood)

- WF gluten-free Bakehouse Blueberry Muffins - (not every shopping trip, just if I'm in the mood)

- Bell & Evans Chicken Nuggets

- Wolfgang Puck French Onion Soup

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Their Apple/Cherry pies are the best! I am actually going to start having my Central Ohio Group meetings at the Columbus Whole Foods (their idea, not mine)...they really want more input from the Celiac/Gluten Free community.

Dx and Gluten Free since 1996

The prairie bread and sundried tomato bread are very good (not "light" though!) and like all other gluten-free breads, must be toasted and kept frozen. I don't like their pizza crust - tasted like cardboard - had to throw it out, but I buy the chebe mix there and use that to make pizza crust - works very well. In my store that is in the cake mix, other mixes section in a red bag (they have several different kinds and I think any work).

Bell and Evans chicken nuggets/strips are the best! Make sure you buy the gluten-free ones though - they have both. They are just in with the other frozen chicken/fish sticks freezer in my store. Also they have lots of gluten-free sausages (I like the different chicken sausages) and frozen tuna or salmon patties (Whole Foods own brand).

Guest lorlyn

Thanks to everyone ideas about the whole food store. I have never herd of the store untill my daughter was diagnoised. This is the first whole food store in Alabama and I am very blessed that it is only a few miles from my house. Thanks again :)