Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JayT

Gluten Free Oats

I tried some gluten free oats a couple of days ago and I had no reaction to them at all! Has anyone else taken the risk?

Dx and Gluten Free since 1996

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

my girls eat them without a problem.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

Jay:

There are many, many, many opinions on this topic :)

I have personally done very well with them, but I don't eat them very often. My mom makes me oatmeal/chocolate bars and then I eat a lot. It is so nice to be able to have something else to add to our diet (for those of us who do well with it).

Here are two relatively recent convos on oats that might be of interest to you:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...097&hl=oats

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...635&hl=oats

Laura

I've been adding the gluten-free oats to various dishes - no problems at all. Haven't had a bowl of oatmeal, though - don't really like oatmeal. I DO like oatmeal cookies and that will probably be next on the list.

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

The brand I have is from "Gifts of Nature, Inc." - bought it at Wild Oats.

Here's their statement:

1. produced by growers that understand gluten free

2. raised on clean, dedicated ground

3. harvested and transported in dedicated equipment

4. Elisa tested for purity by grower lot and batch

5. processed and packaged at Gifts of Nature's totally dedicated gluten free/wheat free facility

www.giftsofnature.net 1-888-275-0003 email: giftsofnature@centurytel.net

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

Hello,

i actually live around Boston, Ma and i went the the HealthyVilli meeting just last month, they are the local and possibly the biggest support group that i know of in the country. And the oats subject was talked about. They are considering Oats safe to Celiacs, however there are a few things to keep in mind.

1- Not everyone is going to agree with it.

2- You must buy it from the few companies that have no/low risk of CC (stay away from Quaker Oats or other main stream products)

3- Introduce it to your diet small amounts at a time, because it can cause gluten like symptoms b/c they are loaded with fiber. So you may get bloated all of a sudden and think you might have gotten glutened when in fact its the fiber.

4- Dont over do it (ie eating 20 oatmeal cookies in one sitting, although that would be nice :rolleyes: )

Here is one company that were selling their oats at the meeting.

http://www.glutenfreeoats.com/

ENJOY!

Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test

Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

I also have eaten gluten-free oats without reacting (from www.glutenfreeoats.com), but only 1/4 c. I love oats and oatmeal, so I was wondering what the limit was on how much I could eat, assuming I build up gradually? I'd read that only 1/4 c. a few times a week was recommended, but I'm wondering why? If there is no CC with gluten-free oats and my body doesn't react to avenin, why do I have to limit the amount I eat?

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

I eat Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oats on occasion, but if I eat them everyday they make me naceous. I'd advice starting off in a small quantity and see how you react to them.

1 Corinthians 6: 19-20, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."