Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmilyElizabeth

Can Anyone Help Me Curb My Craving?

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease last October and so far i've been pretty good about steering clear of gluten. With one exception...Breaded meat. :wub: Does anyone have a kick butt recipe for gluten free chicken strips or breaded fish (fish and chips-ish-ee)?

Emily

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

From the Best Gluten Free Family Cookbook by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt

Crispy Pecan Chicken Fingers

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)

1/3 cup brown rice flour

2 eggs, beaten

1 tbsp water

1 tbsp dijon mustard

1 cup fresh gluten free bread crumbs

2/3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped

1/2 cup cornmeal

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1. Cut each breast into strips 3/4 inch wide. Pat dry.

2. Place rice flour in a shallow dish or pie plate. In a second shallow dish or pie plate, whisk together eggs, water and dijon mustard.

3. In a large plastic bag, combine bread crumbs, pecans, cornmeal, salt and pepper.

4. Coat chicken strips, a few at a time, first in rice flour, then in egg mixture. Shake in pecan-bread crumb mixture. Place in a single layer 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.

5. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until coating is golden brown and crispy and chicken is cooked (see tip).

tip Chicken is cooked when a digital instant-read thermometer registers 170 F and chicken is no loner pink inside.

Discard both leftover crumb mixture and the plastic bag--it is not safe to re-use either when raw chicken is involved.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Guest cassidy

I've been very happy with Gillian's bread crumbs. They make a plain and one with italian spices in it. I usually marinate the chicken (or whatever meat) in mustard and then dip in the bread crumbs and pan saute. My husband does not usually eat any of my gluten-free stuff and he likes these bread crumbs a lot.

If you have a Whole Foods near they sell Bell & Evans chicken tenders & nuggets which are very good. There are gluten-free ones and non-gluten-free ones, so make sure it says gluten-free on the label.

I 2nd the Bell & Evans Chicken Nuggets (or Tenders).

Although I have to say, that recipe AndreaB gave sounds yummy!

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne