This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reading Labels

hathor

hathor Contributor

I'm curious as to how you all deal with ingredient labels that say something may contain traces of something, is shared with the same machinery as something, or is processed in the same facility as something.

Do you run for the hills? Find it is usually safe (the lawyers just want the company to protect itself)? Or does it vary (sometimes you react, sometimes you don't)?

Does it make a difference if you are talking about gluten or something else where you have a sensitivity, but not an allergy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I seem to be okay with these products. I think most of the time it's a CYA statement, though I know some around here avoid them entirely. That being said, I don't eat many processed foods ...

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I consider them basically a crap shoot. With some products I will react any time I eat them, with others one time things will be fine and another they won't. I get neuro effects, so lucky me, I usually know fairly quickly that I have been got. I start tipping over within a short time. :blink: For me it depends on how much I really want the product and whether a gluten-free alternative is readily available. I am lucky to live near a Wegmans, they label all safe products which has made shopping much less worrysome.

celiacgirls Apprentice

I avoid anything that says "may contain traces of ...". For me, I might take a chance with casein or soy but I wouldn't let my kids because they react to tiny amounts.

I used to buy the ones that said "manufactured in a facility that uses ..." but I have noticed my children have reacted to some of those. For now, I will avoid the ones they have reacted to and look for alternatives in the ones we are not sure about. If no alternative is available, I might let them try it, depending on the circumstances.

Guest cassidy

I steer clear of almost all of that stuff. I am very sensitive and I have tried not worrying about it but I always end up getting sick. I also call or check the website if the product doesn't mention what else is produced in the area because I want to know. I wish I wasn't that sensitive because there are plenty of foods that are supposed to be gluten-free that I love and have had to give up because they get me sick.

I'm sure you will figure out just how sensitive you are and what works best for you.

Aizlynn Rookie

I agree, it is a very confusing issue, but what upset me was this morning I was eating my "Wheat Free" waffles from trader joes, and on the back it says made on equipment containing wheat!! I have always prided myself by eating healthy by shopping at TJ's but I am finding more and more that their products are always made on shared equipment. just a note :) and I guess a whine :(

hathor Contributor

I appreciate everyone's comments. I think I will stay away from the "traces" ones for everything and any "machinery" involving wheat. I can always revisit the issue if I find I am more sensitive. Of course, I will keep track of any adverse reactions.

I feel better having a plan, even if I'm not completely sure it is the right one :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast

I seem to be very sensitive, so I stay away. I have gotten sick from both "Casein has been used on the same mashine" and " soy is used in the same facility".

I have even felt iffy on Bob's Mills stuff that is supposed to be tested.

When it comes to my allergies I have always been fine with "may contain nuts". Probably shouldn't keep non with that, not that it happens often.

jcford33 Rookie

I eat a lot of Frito Lay products. Their gluten free list also contains the facility and machinery warning, but I've had good luck with them and trust them more than some. I do stay away from the smaller companies with the same warning due to the facility size. When it comes to a facility/machinery warning, I think it's a lot like eating out. You know your taking a little bit of a risk, but it's a chance we all take to live a halfway normal life.

Is the facility/machinery warning required by the FDA, or is it just a courtesy from the companies?

hathor Contributor

Is the facility/machinery warning required by the FDA, or is it just a courtesy from the companies?

As I understand it, it is not required. I don't know if having such labels is a courtesy or an attempt to immunize themselves from lawsuits :rolleyes:

Under the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004, any covered product labeled after January 1, 2006 must specify if it contains one or more of the major allergens. According to the FDA, any advisory statement is not supposed to be a substitute for good manufacturing practices and must be truthful. Further: "FALCPA's labeling requirements do not apply to major food allergens that are unintentionally added to a food as the result of cross-contact. In the context of food allergens, "cross-contact " occurs when a residue or other trace amount of an allergenic food is unintentionally incorporated into another food that is not intended to contain that allergenic food. Cross-contact may result from customary methods of growing and harvesting crops, as well as from the use of shared storage, transportation, or production equipment." Open Original Shared Link

Gee, I kind of wish you hadn't asked and caused me to research this. :blink: It makes me pretty scared about products that don't even bother with advisory statements. They could have all sorts of things in them "unintentionally."

Yenni Enthusiast

As I understand it, it is not required. I don't know if having such labels is a courtesy or an attempt to immunize themselves from lawsuits :rolleyes:

Under the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004, any covered product labeled after January 1, 2006 must specify if it contains one or more of the major allergens. According to the FDA, any advisory statement is not supposed to be a substitute for good manufacturing practices and must be truthful. Further: "FALCPA's labeling requirements do not apply to major food allergens that are unintentionally added to a food as the result of cross-contact. In the context of food allergens, "cross-contact " occurs when a residue or other trace amount of an allergenic food is unintentionally incorporated into another food that is not intended to contain that allergenic food. Cross-contact may result from customary methods of growing and harvesting crops, as well as from the use of shared storage, transportation, or production equipment." Open Original Shared Link

Gee, I kind of wish you hadn't asked and caused me to research this. :blink: It makes me pretty scared about products that don't even bother with advisory statements. They could have all sorts of things in them "unintentionally."

Looks like possible cross contamination risks does NOT have to be labeled then.

Archived