This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Discovered Celiac Disease

beks4grls

beks4grls Newbie

Hi ~ This is my first post so please forgive me if I goof!

I recently overheard someone talking about celiac's on a TV show. It was just for a moment but she said she always had stomach pain after eating and my ears perked up because I too have had stomach pain after eating among other symptons so when I heard her say she had Celiacs I immediately began researching. The following are the symptons I have had off and on for years as long as I can remember.

As a young child:

1. rash on the back of arms

2. stomach aches

3. Allergy tested due to having so many sore throats and colds

allergic to: peanuts, eggs, tobacco, molds, mildews, some grasses etc...

no treatment specifically other than stay away from these things...

4. servere acne on my back as a teen not on my face

As an adult:

1. Stomach pain

2. lactose intolerant but not diagnosed as lactose intolerant ~ treated for an ulcer for short period

3. Severe dairy issues after the birth of second child

4. incomplete bowel movements

5. scalp rash as described exactly as DH ~ much worse after birth of 4th child

6. bouts of nausea and diarrhea at the same time after eating

7. most recently ~ constant abdominal bloating, cramping, gassiness

8. after years of having great teeth with only one cavity had a major problem with tooth decay

on almost every tooth suface

9. bad breath after having all the dental care ~ the kind that comes from the gut (?)

10. mild depression

11. fogginess, sleeplessness, increased irritibility (attributed to being 40 and under stress ?)

12. some joint pain in fingers and carpal tunnel syndrome

13. symptons such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (which a homeopathic suggested I might have)

I could go on but this is just about everything :blink:

When I found this forum it was like light in the darkness! :rolleyes: But I am overwhelmed with where to begin. I had my pcm refer me to a gastro last week so I could have the blood test but my husbad said if I was convinced I had this why not go gluten free and go from there. He was concerned if diagnosed insurance might be hard to get in the future...? I don't care honestly I just want to feel better and I am concerned I have gone so long with all of these symptons and have just learned to live this way until now that I may have some real damage...I am 40 and feel lousy. Haven't been active because I feel so tired most of the time and have gained 25 lbs in the past two years. I have three girls ranging from ages 15-3 and all of them have some type of rash. The oldest has always had the rash like I did on the back of her arms and the middle one has recently gotten terrible eczema on her legs. The youngest has had a troubling rash on her face off and on for about a year. I have thought all along they were food related but have been told by ped. that the youngest was bacterial and the others were dry skin. Referred to a dermatologist and he said it wasn't bacterial but it was major dry skin. Our family went dairy free several years ago but have gone back to eating occasional cheeses and yogurt. We have alternated on Rice milk and soy. I keep trying to find the food link to the rashes. NEVER imagined it was wheat/gluten!!! I prided myself on the whole grains and whole wheat we have eaten! :( After reseaching my scalp problem (acne like bumps) and hearing about the shampoos containing wheat I immediatly checked out my shampoos ~ one healthy shampoo had wheat and one I bought in bulk at costco had wheat. No wonder my scalp had gotten worse lately. I had been using Giovanni which seemed to have cleared up my scalp...little did I know it didn't have wheat in it!)

I have read a lot of the posts and wondered if someone could help me know where to start. After reading my head is spinning and can't seem to focus on a plan of action...(also another sympton? ;) )

Sorry this was so long. First time I have acknowledged all this in one swoop!

Thanks for letting me get it out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Viola 1 Rookie

Hello;

Welcome to the board, it sounds like you have been doing a lot of reading here :D

If you are not concerned with getting a documented diagnosis, you could try going 'completely' gluten free and see if that solves your problems. By the sounds of things, it might do the whole family good <_<

There are pros and cons to getting a documented diagnosis. I'm not sure which country you are in, here in Canada it doesn't matter as far as the insurance goes. I don't know about the US. Here it is actually good to have a documented diagnosis if you are in the lower income bracket as we can use the food as a medical deduction. Also it is encouragment for your first degree relatives to get tested.

Having said that .. if the diet works and makes you healthy, that's really all that matters.

If you decide to get tested, make sure you stay on gluten until after the testing. It will give you a false negative if you are gluten free.

Guest cassidy

So glad that you figured things out. It does sound like gluten may be your problem and your kids may have a problem with it as well. As far as the diagnosis goes, it is a personal choice, but trying the diet and feeling better is a valid way of doing things, and if you are open to it, there is no reason not to do that.

Where to start - reading labels is challanging, but you may be used to it since you are dairy free. I would recommend going back to basics. Meat, veggies, fruits and rice are always gluten-free. You don't have any labels to read so you aren't constantly worried about hidden gluten. Your body needs time to heal and getting rid of as many preservatives and additives as possible can only be a good thing.

While you are eating healthy you can start doing research to find gluten-free brands of items that you enjoy. In the beginning I did a lot of research and make lists to take to the grocery store so that when I wanted tortilla chips or salad dressing I would know which brands were safe and not have to look it up again.

I know you said that you looked into the shampoo, make sure that you check all your other cosmetics & toiletries. My husband doesn't need to be gluten-free but I make sure that his toiletries are ok as well since I will be kissing him and I don't want to get sick.

It can be overwhelming in the beginning and most of us messed up several times and along the way, but hopefully this will help you feel much better! Since you got your whole family to go dairy free then maybe it won't be so hard to get them all to go gluten free.

beks4grls Newbie

Thanks for your response. We live in the US and my husband thought insurance may be hard to get down the road. We currently have military insurance and there is no reason I can think of why I wouldn't want to get at least a blood test to determine it conclusively. (If they do?...I have been reading about false negatives and am not sure about all that)

Has anyone done a cleansing fast to start them off? If so which ones would you reccomend?

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Archived