Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest cassidy

Does Anyone Work From Home?

Guest cassidy

I've been looking for a part time job that I can do from home. I know I don't want to sell anything like Pampered Chef or Mary Kay. There are so many listings for things that sound unbelievable and cost money to find out about like stuffing envelopes or data entry and making thousands per week. I'm not falling for any of that, but I really haven't seen anything that looks legit.

Does anyone work from home? Are there any good websites with job listings?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Tutoring can be profitable depending on where you live and can be done in your home or students homes. I've tutored children and housewives in English and given American cooking lessons. It can take a while to build a reputation and collect clients, but it's very rewarding. Many adult students I've encountered just want someone who has the time to listen or are too embarrassed to take a class. Many moms have paid me to do what I would with my own child, help with homework, practice reading, teach study skills, but they can't because of their limited English.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

I used to be a medical transcriptionist. It's a completely legitimate career. It does take some time to learn; I studied in my spare time for about two years. But after that I was able to make a living doing it. I did it full-time for about 3-4 years.

It's also nice to know if I ever want to or need to go back to work, I can get a job pretty easily.

If you go to http://www.aamt.org/scriptcontent/index.cfm you can get more information.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Some companies have a program to allow employees to work virtual (work from home) if the job can be done virtual. The company I work for has this program. Please note one of the rules is that children have another care giver during work hours. Also, it seems to be the practice that working virtual is only allowed for employees who have worked for the company on site.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

My job allows us to do somethings from home, but it is limited. I know Medical Coders can do the job from home.

I hope you find something, I would love to work from home everyday, but I would also be scared that I would actually miss being out or that I would have trouble focusing and keeping myself on a schedule.

I think I would also miss the interaction of others, Somedays I would love to have our office all to myself because those people can drive me nuts...but I think after awhile I might miss them....maybe...

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

i'll pm you. i've a fantastic job! i love it.

Gluten-free, Vegan

I've been self-employed for quite a while, and the Internet has given me additional business opportunities. I don't mean those 'get-rich-quick' things either. Rather utilizing what might otherwise be a mere hobby to earn a living (or at least try to). I can't say it's easy to make happen, but to me it is far more rewarding than being stuck in some cubical.

For me it would turn out to be a niche market of sorts, and it happened somewhat unintentionally. So from my experience I'd have to think it's more likely to succeed if you have something unique to offer. I'm sure we all get those spam messages for whatever the current 'hot items' happen to be, and I can't imagine how that could be profitable.

Besides the Internet, it can indeed pay off. Not just in terms of income, but there's a sense of freedom and accomplishment that I'd never trade for slaving away to make someone else rich. Though I know I'm in the minority in many ways, as people seem to prefer a steady paycheck and whatnot. It can be bitter-sweet though, as it will generally consume your every waking moment. Everyone I know whom has taken s similar route has also had this happen. There's little else in your daily life. If you have walk-in customers, they are basically your employers. Make them happy or you lose money. Income may not be so great either, but for whatever reason I haven't given up on it just to have more money. I guess I really hate working for someone else.

I know there are freelance opportunities being offered at various websites, but I've never tried to get into that. As for working at home for a company in some virtual or remote capacity, I do know there are companies which do that. One term which comes to mind is telecommute.

That's about all I can add to this topic, and I'm sure others will continue to share their own experiences, which might help you more depending on what you are looking for.

Hope you find what you seek.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.