Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jalar

Help - Need Info Quick

I am having an upper GI with a biopsy on Monday, Feb 26th :blink: . I had a gastric ulcer last year and for the past six months have been having nausea, constipation, pasty stool, gas, cramping and so forth. When it came up that I was having this 2nd upper endoscopy my mom mentioned that several people in my family have Celiac's (many more have irritable bowel). What do I need to do to make SURE that they doctors check for gluten intolerance. What do I need to know for Monday? I hate to miss this opportunity because I have SO little time for research. Can you help me??? :unsure: Thank you ! Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

They need to take several biopsies -- 7-10 -- to see if you have villi damage. As long as they're in there, they may as well do the biopsies. I'd insist on it!!

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Absolutely make sure they do multiple biopsies from multiple spots. I had an endoscopy that was a complete waste of time because they only took one biopsy because "everything looked normal". Unless the damage is significant, they won't be able to see anything with the scope. Usually they find the damage when looking microscopically at the biopsies.

Also make sure that they know that you have a family history of celiac disease.

Good luck!

Dx'd with lymphocytic colitis 1/07

Dx'd by Enterolab 3/07--+IgA, +Ttg, DQ2 and DQ8

Dx'd celiac by Dr. Lewey 4/07--without +blood or biopsy

gluten-free 3/7/07

I am having an upper GI with a biopsy on Monday, Feb 26th :blink: . I had a gastric ulcer last year and for the past six months have been having nausea, constipation, pasty stool, gas, cramping and so forth. When it came up that I was having this 2nd upper endoscopy my mom mentioned that several people in my family have Celiac's (many more have irritable bowel). What do I need to do to make SURE that they doctors check for gluten intolerance. What do I need to know for Monday? I hate to miss this opportunity because I have SO little time for research. Can you help me??? :unsure: Thank you ! Thank you!

Just had my biopsy done a month ago,,it was easy, cause they sedated me completely. I highly recommend complete sedation,,not just numbing the throat as some folks have reported.

And yes serveral biopsies of the villi(lining of the small intestine). My report states the biopsies came from the second a part of the duodenum?? I guess there are diffeent parts to the small intestine?? Can someone answer that question

?

Your symptoms sound so close to mine,,the nausea,,vomiting, constipation, excess gas and belching. I just joined the forum yesterday and finding a wealth of experiences to draw on. It always helps to talk to someone who has been THERE.

Good luck!!

Absolutely make sure they do multiple biopsies from multiple spots. I had an endoscopy that was a complete waste of time because they only took one biopsy because "everything looked normal". Unless the damage is significant, they won't be able to see anything with the scope. Usually they find the damage when looking microscopically at the biopsies.

Also make sure that they know that you have a family history of celiac disease.

Good luck!

I came away from my biopsy thinking I didn't have celiac because it wasn't apparent from dr. initial internal scope exam. The microscopic exams of biopsies were the key. The dr. told my husband it didn't look like celiac (while I was still sedated) and I went home and ate gluten for a week until dr. called and said,,,oh, by the way, the biopsies show celiac.

Maybe the reason my villi looked "normal" UNTIL UNDER THE MICROPSCOPE is because I have off and on followed a gluten-free diet for 10 years...I ate gluten foods the week before the test and had prob not caused enough damage for the naked eye to see. My symptoms however had gotten so bad prior to the testing I was off and on the gluten-free diet. It seems I can eat about a week worth of 1 gluten a day and then "TILT" the bad symtoms start and I have a painful night. So then I would go gluten-free for a week or so and start the whole cycle of "cheating" again. Now that I have a definite diagnosis and am no longer self diagnosed I am going to dedicate myself to totally gluten free to try and lift my depression and see if I can l live life with joy and happiness instead of anxiety/depression.

Hope you find a definite diagnosis cause it really does change your outlook on life when you feel you have the power and choices to change how you feel!! Sherylj

Everyone has given you great advice. The standard for biopsy is in the second portion of the duodenum which is the first 1/3 if the small intestine. 6 biopsies should be made. It is absolutely important that the doc is made aware of your family history of celiac. If you can, find out who in your family had celiac as well as IBS and any other GI related illness;and I suggest writing all that down to give to the doctor. Hopefully you'll have an answer by this time next week. Be assertive and request that the biopsies be done.

Let us know how it goes.

Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003

Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003

Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003

Discuss with your GI before the procedure that you want "multiple biopsies, in multiple locations" to check for Celiac damage, even if it doesn't look like damage while he is in there. Tell him regardless of what it looks like, you want the full biopsies taken, because you don't want to have to go through this again. Best of luck.

Just had my biopsy done a month ago,,it was easy, cause they sedated me completely. I highly recommend complete sedation,,not just numbing the throat as some folks have reported.

And yes serveral biopsies of the villi(lining of the small intestine). My report states the biopsies came from the second a part of the duodenum?? I guess there are diffeent parts to the small intestine?? Can someone answer that question

?

Your symptoms sound so close to mine,,the nausea,,vomiting, constipation, excess gas and belching. I just joined the forum yesterday and finding a wealth of experiences to draw on. It always helps to talk to someone who has been THERE.

Good luck!!

The small intestine has 3 parts....first after the stomach is the duodenum, The second part is the jejunum and the third part is the ileum which adjoins the large intestine or colon.

Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003

Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003

Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003

I am home from my upper GI. Good news - my ulcer is gone. :P Bad news - Dr. said my stomach and intestinal track look irriated and inflammed. :( I asked for several biopsies to be taken and mentioned my family history of Celiacs. The doctor agreed and said she would send the biopsy off and we would know something in about a week. Soooo..... I go back to see her in an office setting in a week or two.

Thanks everyone for your help! ;) I will keep you posted!