Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chocolatelover

Why Different Reference Ranges?

I got my kids' blood tests back today and they are all negative, which is great and terrible. Great because they most likely don't have celiac, but terrible because now we have figure out what in the world is causing my daughter's diarrhea (sounds just like me).

My question is why there are different reference ranges for each of them for the serum IGA. They all went to the same lab, yet the reference range is different on all three? One range is 64-246, one is 70-432, and one is 41-368. Why are they all different if they are being tested for the same thing at the same lab???

Dx'd with lymphocytic colitis 1/07

Dx'd by Enterolab 3/07--+IgA, +Ttg, DQ2 and DQ8

Dx'd celiac by Dr. Lewey 4/07--without +blood or biopsy

gluten-free 3/7/07

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Blood tests can come out wrong. If your daughter does well on a gluten-free diet then you know to keep her on it. A lot of people have luck with elimination diets and allergen testing. Good luck, ChocolateLover.

The reference range for total serum IgA is based on age... different ages, different stages of life, different IgA ranges.

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

I'm thinking that she and I will be Gluten-free Casein-free together and see what happens. It's so hard to see them going through this kind of stuff, especially at such a young age. BTW, they are 13, 10 and 7. I wouldn't think they would have different ranges since they are so close in age, but who knows why they do what they do. I guess I'm just a little skeptical because this is the same lab that I think screwed up my tests.

Dx'd with lymphocytic colitis 1/07

Dx'd by Enterolab 3/07--+IgA, +Ttg, DQ2 and DQ8

Dx'd celiac by Dr. Lewey 4/07--without +blood or biopsy

gluten-free 3/7/07