This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What To Eat On The Go?

jny21

jny21 Rookie

I was recently diagnosed with celiacs a few months ago and am having some difficulty adjusting the diet to my lifestyle. I'm a commuting college student and am always going somewhere. I cook dinner but my breakfasts and lunchs I have to eat on the go. The only things that work well are pb sandwiches on rice bread and bananas. By the end of the night, I'm starving and go carb crazy and have started to gain weight as a result. Does anyone have any suggestions for healthy gluten free foods that you can take with you? There are tons of grocery store options in the area, so I'm very open to suggestions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wowzer Community Regular

You can get gluten free bars, fruit, vegies, yogurt, cheese, make some trail mix.

Laurad- Apprentice

I'm a fan of string cheese, homemade smoothies and protein shakes in go-cups, and sandwich bags full of gluten-free cereal like Gorilla Munch.

johnsoniu Apprentice

Boiled eggs are easily tranportable

Yogurt( I mix in some Enjoy Life Cranapple Crunch or Berry Crunch cereal for carbs).

Left-over gluten free pizza( there are several good brands available at most stores that carry gluten free products. Check out the gluten free mall products page for product reviews).

Lunch meats like roast beef, turkey and ham make quick and easy roll-ups with lettuce and/or sliced cheese and string cheese.

Saz Explorer

Nut bars are a good option, you could also try nuts, or gluten-free pretzels or cornchips. I also like flavoured rice crackers.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

EnerG sesame pretzel rings are my favorite to grab when I'm going to need something to tide me over.

You can order a box of 25 from Amazon.

Slackermommy Rookie

I love Lara Bars myself. And, I also will bring nut thin crackers and cheese, banana and apple.

Plain, I know, but the Lara bars do tide me over... :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

waywardsister Newbie

I hear you on the carb-crazy thing ;) Natural fats are satiating and help keep you full and level...and they're healthy, despite the low-fat craze that still hasn't died :rolleyes:

Hmm...how about you make more dinner than you'll eat, and bring leftovers for lunch? Maybe not every day (ho hum) but a few. Also, I have found it really helpful to cook up a batch of chicken drumsticks or wings on weekends and keep them in the fridge - you can grab them and eat as-is, or chuck them in salads along with some hardboiled egg and whetever veggies you like. You can make an easy sort of aioli from mayo, lemon juice and garlic - cold chicken is really yummy dipped in this.

Breakfast muffins - basically little omlettes done in muffin tins with whatever ingredients you want. Cook, freeze or keep in fridge, then quickly reheat on the way out the door. Also, muffins or loaves made from nut flours (almond, coconut etc) and/or flax can be low-carb (so you don't get that blood sugar crash mid-morning) and filling. If you can do dairy, those little babybel cheeses are awesome (oh how I miss them), and of course yogurts etc. If not, you can make yogurt etc from coconut or almond milk if you are so inclined!

What sorts of things do you make for dinner? Can you make batches of, say, chili or stews?

Are you able to refrigerate and/or reheat things? I have many, many low-carb gluten-free recipes...

Guest cassidy

I eat most of my meals in the car, so I know what you are talking about. Here are a couple of my stand-bys:

Boost - you get used to the taste and it is quick and easy, I get the high protein and it is almost a full meal. All the liquid ones except Chocolate Malt are ok.

Nuts - I like cashews and keep those around. Mrs May's is gluten-free again and those are like nut squares stuck together with something like honey - very good and addictive!

Cheese - Cracker Barrel makes individually wrapped cheese "bars"

Fruit - I buy already sliced apples in a bag so I can just grab them.

Gertrude & Bronners Magic Alp Snacks - these are hemp granola bars. I really like them because they aren't super sweet like the Lara Bars and other bars I have had.

Sometimes I make up a meal and then eat it cold or find a microwave. Chicken salads with tons of veggies, or rice with veggies and cheese work well.

chocolatelover Contributor

Nuts, nuts, and more nuts (till you think you're going nuts!) :lol:

Craisins (with or without nuts is good)

Gluten free goodies--brownies, gluten-free chocolate, or other treats. A great one is take marshmallows, spread on a little peanut butter and dip in chocolate chips--delish!

Gluten-Free Pantry best sandwich bread (or maybe it's favorite sandwich bread) with any kind of filling. I like to make some egg salad or tuna salad...but I don't "make" the sandwich until the last minute or it all gets soggy.

My favorite sandwich is baked or grilled chicken breast, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, tomato, and a litte olive oil and balsamic vinegar...yum! All on gluten-free bread, of course! Also good as a salad.

Baby carrots, fresh fruit

Chips and salsa

Lettuce roll ups with meat, cheese (or not), avacado, tomato, onion, and a little pesto-mayonnaise (equal parts pesto with mayo, say 1 TBS of each)...it's fabulous

I often also make extra veggies at night and then pop them in a container with a little italian dressing--quick, easy and good for you!

HB eggs travel pretty well...

If you have access to a microwave during the day, the possibilites are endless!

Hope this helps,

CL

Tritty Rookie

I always keep a bag of trail mix in the car - just in case. I love some that I found at Walgreen's of all places...

It has dried fruit, peanuts and cashews, and just the right amount of little bits of white chocolate...

A handful can keep you tied over for a couple of hours if you don't have time for a full meal...

tiffjake Enthusiast

Everyone else has great idea, I just wanted to add that I get stuff from Sams that I can keep in my purse, so I buy in bulk. I get the planters peanuts packs, about the size of an airplane pack, and I keep it in my purse, and a couple in the gym bag, but punches of protien and fat. I love sams.

jny21 Rookie

Thank you all so much for your help. So many great suggestions. I can't wait to get cooking and shop for so many yummy snacks!

Archived