This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bun Recipe Using Cottage Cheese

wowzer

wowzer Community Regular

I remember seeing a recipe for buns using cottage cheese on here. I finally have the ingredients and can't find the recipe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Cottage Bread

Gluten Free Recipe

Ingredients:

1/3 cup olive oil

3 eggs

2 cup rice flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons lemon or orange rind

1/2 cup clover honey

1 cup cottage cheese

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

In blender combine oil, honey, and cottage cheese.

Add eggs one at a time, blend until mixture is fluffy.

In separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Gradually add blender mixture. Mix well. The batter will be thick.

Spoon into small glass bowls (ones with flat bottoms and fairly straight sides, the size you want your buns to be).

Place in microwave and cook for 3 minute intervals. Each time buzzer goes off, turn or rearrange bowls for more even cooking (average time about 12 minutes, depending on your microwave).

Note: This batter makes good pancakes too!

Open Original Shared Link

hangininthere Apprentice

I've copy and pasted below my original topic post about these buns, I finally found it, it's on page 7 right now of this section -

***Notice that they are to be baked in the microwave for only TWO minutes, NOT TWELVE. Must have been a typo on the recipe above from the internet, that's where I got it, but the timing was way off. ***

Best wishes to all!

Two Minute Microwave Buns - Good Sandwich Bread, Easy, Healthy, No Gum Needed!

I wouldn't have believed this would make a perfect sandwich bread until I saw it with my own eyes! It's moist yet firm, not one bit crumbly, holds together like 'real' bread, ha! And it does not need to be toasted to taste right as with storebought gluten-free breads, no toasting necessary! I can finally have an untoasted 'regular' cold sandwich! So easy too! I'm amazed!

Hamburger Buns

Makes eight large size buns or ten medium size buns.

1/3 cup oil

1/2 cup clover honey

1 cup cottage cheese

3 eggs

2 cups rice flour (I use brown rice flour myself, tried it with white rice, good too)

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons lemon peel (I leave out the lemon peel, expensive and I don't like the taste)

In blender, combine oil, honey, and cottage cheese.

Add eggs, one at a time, blend until mixture is fluffy. (My mixture didn't get fluffy, but bread turned out great anyway)

In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.

Gradually add blender mixture to dry mixture. Mix well. The batter will be thick.

Spoon small amount of batter, about 1/3 cup for medium size bun or 1/2 cup for large size bun, into ungreased glass bowls, ones with flat bottoms and fairly straight sides, the size you want your buns to be (I use my Corelleware cereal bowls, they make large buns like I want).

Cook in microwave one bowl at a time, with carousel to turn bowl, for 2 minutes on high. If no carousel in microwave, turn bowl after about 1 minute then continue cooking. (I'm thinking that with just 2 minutes cooking time it may not need to be turned if you have no carousel in microwave, not sure though, I have a carousel.)

Cooking time will vary depending on your microwave, experiment to see the exact time.

***My notes: Timing is crucial for the moistness and firmness of sandwich bread quality bun. Measure each bowl of batter exactly each time, and microwave to exact time each time for consistently moist yet firm bread.

The buns cool completely within about two minutes, so put each completed bun away in a bread bag or baggie immediately upon completion, so as not to dry out, as regular bread will do also when left out a few minutes.

Remove the bun from bowl immediately, while still hot, use a fork to poke around edges further and further down sides and under bun, and the bun will pop out of the bowl nicely. Cool less than a minute on rack, then slice through middle while still warm. Cool another minute or less, then wrap each cooled bun immediately in bread bag to keep it from drying out sitting around out.

These large size buns I make are so healthy and hearty. I make a sandwich and then cut the sandwich in half, for two hearty servings. (I've been using 1/3 cup for medium size buns now, don't cut them in half anymore.) I make a batch of sandwiches and keep wrapped on individual plates in fridge for a few days and usually even longer, for me and son to grab whenever we want, these buns for sandwiches hold well in fridge, don't become mushy from the fillings.

The first bun you cook, check it for doneness before the two minutes is up, because it has to be timed just right for maximum moistness so it doesn't overcook and turn out a little on the dry side.

You'll know it's done as soon as you see it's not 'liquidy' anymore. The second it's not 'batter like', it is done to perfection!

When tweaking your timing, it cooks fast, so if still a little undone, just a couple of seconds can make the difference between 'not quite done' and 'done'.

And it's better to check it while it's still undone, rather than find out it's overdone.

Once you've gotten your amount and timing figured out just right, it's a breeze to make these buns ever after!

Best wishes to all!

wowzer Community Regular

Thank you for posting it again. I can't wait to try them. Probably why I couldn't find it I was ready to cook dinner and in a hurry. I made burgers on the grill tonight and grilled a piece of gluten free bread. It was ok, but I really like the sound of these buns. I will be sure to add it to my recipe file. Thanks again.

hangininthere Apprentice

Yes, it took me a while to find it too!

I have been so glad to have hamburgers again! The dried out little store-bought rice breads weren't so good for hamburgers, so dry and plain!

I love these buns especially because they don't need toasted or warmed, can have them cold as is, such as a hamburger!

I even make me and son a batch of hamburgers and cover them on individual plates in fridge for us to grab anytime and nuke up, and they hold up perfectly with all the ketchup, mustard, minced onion, and dill slices I put on top, the bun doesn't get soggy or crumble, is good to go for days on end!

Let me know how the buns turn out for you, thanks!

Best wishes!

Byte Me Apprentice

Hi,

these sound really good and easy to make! I was just wondering, do they freeze well? Thanks!

hangininthere Apprentice

I'm not sure, haven't tried freezing them yet, but I suspect they would freeze as well as any bread.

They make great croutons too! They hold up well in a salad with the dressing, they don't turn to mush like other rice breads do!

I'm gonna try making stove-top stuffing with them next chance I get, I suspect they won't turn to mush like the store-bought rice bread I bought did, but I may be wrong about that, will have to see!

Best wishes!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jokamo

OMG!!!! I was so doggon happy to see this recipe! I have been wanting to know how to make my own hamberger buns for a few weeks now (been gluten-free for about 5 weeks now). I am doing well on the diet and I seem to have more energy and less pain! But I have truly missed hamburger buns! I will have to try this the next time I make hamburgers for the family. Thanks so much for the recipe!!!!

Jodi :D

• 2 months later...
luv2cook Rookie

I am interested in trying this, and wanted to add that if you're dairy free, you can substitute silken tofu for the cottage cheese, according to Red Star Yeast site.

Archived