This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

'new York Style' Foldable Pizza Crust

hangininthere

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Funny, I've never even seen tapioca flour. In all my recipes though I use a mix of white rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca starch so I figured that was probably a safe substitute.

Tapioca starch = Tapioca flour

Potato starch does NOT = Potato flour. Although to confuse matters, sometimes potato starch is referred to as potato starch flour. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hangininthere Apprentice

Glad to! I lost track too, hahahaha! And I went back just now and edited the topic post, putting my perfected recipe there as below!

Yes, tapioca flour is the same as tapioca starch! (And potato flour is different than potato starch!)

'New York Style' Pizza Crust

Makes one 16" pizza crust or two smaller crusts - foldable floppy and not crispy.

2 tablespoons rapid-rise yeast

1 1l3 cup warm milk

1 teaspoon sugar

1 1l3 cup brown rice flour

1 cup tapioca flour

2 teaspoons guar gum

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons gelatin powder

2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning

2 teaspoons olive oil

2 teaspoons apple cidar vinegar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk and sugar.

In separate large bowl, blend together dry ingredients.

Stir in yeast mixture.

Add oil and apple cider vinegar.

Mix well.

Pat onto buttered and floured sheet - sprinkle flour on top of dough before you pat down, to avoid sticking to hands.

Rub olive oil on top of patted out dough.

Bake plain untopped crust for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and add toppings.

Return to oven and finish baking for another 20 minutes.

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice
Perhaps. Ya know though, I think it was probably a little crispy because I used oil to pat it down rather than flour. It was drying the dough out too much using flour and it was still sticking to my hands, so I just coated them with canola oil and patted it down like that. <snip>

A tip that I read in Karen Robertson's cookbook "Cooking Gluten-Free" was to place your hand inside a clean, plastic bag. This makes it easier to spread the pizza dough because it doesn't stick as much to the bag. You can put a little oil on the outside of the plastic bag if necessary.

Suzie

• 2 years later...
rvagirl Rookie

Thank you SO much for posting this delicious recipe. I made the pizza last night, and my family (who is not gluten free) all said how delicious it was and that it tasted like "real" pizza. I wholeheartedly agre! This recipe is outstanding! I have not had good pizza in years since being diagnosed, and this is definitely among the top pizzas that I have ever eaten, period. Also, just wanted to add this- in order to reduce the fat content of the crust, I only added one teaspoon of olive oil and instead replaced the second teaspoon with another teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Additionally, I did not brush the crust with olive oil, either; instead I simply added a bit of tapioca flour to the top to help it spread without getting all over my hands. I did not butter or flour the pan; I just sprayed some PAM on my airbake nonstick baking sheet,and it worked wonderfully. Also, while I'm on the subject of reducing the fat in this recipe, (I have pancreatitis so I must eat a diet that is very low in fat) as far as toppings go, I used CLassico spaghetti sauce with mushrooms and black olives, fresh green peppers, fresh mushrooms, and a lot of Kraft Naturals fat free (!) mozzarella and cheddar shredded cheese. The fat free cheddar does not have much taste, but the mozzarella is actually quite good. I just wanted to inform anyone else looking to seek ways of reducing fat in their recipes that a fat free shredded cheese does exist and is pretty good. Although, I haven't had real cheese in so long that you might not want to just take my word for it! :rolleyes:

But, a warm thank you again for posting such a declisous and easy to make recipe for pizza crust. I have looked long and hard for a crust that is edible and tastes somewhat decent, but no to avail until I came across this recipe. This definitely blows Pizza Fusion's gluten free pizza way out of the water, as well, although I wasn't loving theirs, anyway.

rvagirl Rookie

Thank you SO much for posting this delicious recipe. I made the pizza last night, and my family (who is not gluten free) all said how delicious it was and that it tasted like "real" pizza. I wholeheartedly agre! This recipe is outstanding! I have not had good pizza in years since being diagnosed, and this is definitely among the top pizzas that I have ever eaten, period. Also, just wanted to add this- in order to reduce the fat content of the crust, I only added one teaspoon of olive oil and instead replaced the second teaspoon with another teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Additionally, I did not brush the crust with olive oil, either; instead I simply added a bit of tapioca flour to the top to help it spread without getting all over my hands. I did not butter or flour the pan; I just sprayed some PAM on my airbake nonstick baking sheet,and it worked wonderfully. Also, while I'm on the subject of reducing the fat in this recipe, (I have pancreatitis so I must eat a diet that is very low in fat) as far as toppings go, I used CLassico spaghetti sauce with mushrooms and black olives, fresh green peppers, fresh mushrooms, and a lot of Kraft Naturals fat free (!) mozzarella and cheddar shredded cheese. The fat free cheddar does not have much taste, but the mozzarella is actually quite good. I just wanted to inform anyone else looking to seek ways of reducing fat in their recipes that a fat free shredded cheese does exist and is pretty good. Although, I haven't had real cheese in so long that you might not want to just take my word for it! :rolleyes:

But, a warm thank you again for posting such a declisous and easy to make recipe for pizza crust. I have looked long and hard for a crust that is edible and tastes somewhat decent, but no to avail until I came across this recipe. This definitely blows Pizza Fusion's gluten free pizza way out of the water, as well, although I wasn't loving theirs, anyway.

Archived