Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can anyone direct me towards one of the meds for menopause that can be taken by those of us with celiacs? i was put on premarin (i have recently had a hysterectomy) but that went right thru me - i understand i cannot take anything with progesterone but i know there must be other meds out there that i can take -

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am on the Vivelle dot. It is a patch of just estrogen. I switched to it from Premarin after going gluten-free.

Karen

gluten free 4/06

casein free 7/06

DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free

vegetarian

gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

Locate a compounding pharmacy. They made me gluten free estregon pills. The manufactured ones I was at first were not gluten free.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

I am on the Vivelle dot. It is a patch of just estrogen. I switched to it from Premarin after going gluten-free.

thanks so much for your help - and there is no problem with the glue? the dr was worried about the components of the glue so he is sending me to a compounding pharmacy, but i would rather do something more readily availible -

Locate a compounding pharmacy. They made me gluten free estregon pills. The manufactured ones I was at first were not gluten free.

i'm sorry - 1 more ? - is the dot as effective as the premarin is as far as the symptoms (hot flashes, etc) go?

The dot has worked for me as well as the premarin did. I don't have any symptoms of menopause. The doctor did give me a higher dose of the patch than the pill because she said it wouldn't be enough at that level.

I never asked about the glue but I'm thinking it is ok since I haven't reacted. I do react to wheat in my shampoo by itching so I think I would know.

ETA: I just called them and she had it listed as latex-free but not on the gluten free list. She did read me the ingredients and it all seemed fine to me.

Karen

gluten free 4/06

casein free 7/06

DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free

vegetarian

gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

i'm sorry - 1 more ? - is the dot as effective as the premarin is as far as the symptoms (hot flashes, etc) go?

I think that the Dot would be much better than Premarin because Vivelle Dots are made with estradiol which is human estrogen. Premarin is made with horse estrogen and has different properties than human estrogen.

I think it would be a good idea to also look at your other hormones as well. Women make a small amount of testosterone in their ovaries and after a hysterectomy their testosterone level can drop and make them feel bad (or not as good). A good book to read is