Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

missy'smom

Using Less Sugar/sweetener

I prefer my baked goods less sweet. Before I was on the gluten-free diet, I usually used half, sometimes 3/4 of the sugar in all recipies except shortbread and yeast bread with success. Can't think of a recipie this didn't work in.

Has anyone done this with success in gluten-free baking?

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

yes, definitely.

before celiac, i always cut it like you do, and i still do. there has been no difference. have fun!

Gluten-free, Vegan

I also never liked much sugar in stuff. Since I found out about Stevia though, that is what I use if/when I need to add any sweetness. The product I chose is a concentrated liquid extract though, so all the bulk which sugar adds to a recipe isn't going to be there. That's the one thing about such a sweetener which needs to be addressed. As I'm just getting started with baking again, I haven't yet tried it in something which usually has so much sugar. Hopefully I won't end up wasting ingredients in the effort.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Thank you. That's good to know! It helps alot.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies