This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Assisted Living Homes

DrGarrettSmith

DrGarrettSmith Newbie

Hello everybody. New guy here.

I'm a licensed naturopathic physician in Arizona, I am not celiac (although I believe that no humans tolerate grains well, gluten grains in particular), and I'm part of a group that is trying to start a gluten-free assisted living home here in Tucson.

Does anyone know of any fully gluten-free assisted living homes?

If you know of an assisted living home that will take celiacs and actually treats them and their food well, I'd like to know about those also.

If someone thinks that this is posted in the wrong place, please feel free to re-post it somewhere else (please let me know if you do).

Thanks!

Dr. Garrett Smith

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Bless you and make sure you let us know where it is and spread the word about the need. My biggest fear is needing to be hospitalized or going into assisted living. I don't think I am alone in that. I know they would kill me slowly and painfully.

gfp Enthusiast
Hello everybody. New guy here.

I'm a licensed naturopathic physician in Arizona, I am not celiac (although I believe that no humans tolerate grains well, gluten grains in particular), and I'm part of a group that is trying to start a gluten-free assisted living home here in Tucson.

Does anyone know of any fully gluten-free assisted living homes?

If you know of an assisted living home that will take celiacs and actually treats them and their food well, I'd like to know about those also.

If someone thinks that this is posted in the wrong place, please feel free to re-post it somewhere else (please let me know if you do).

Thanks!

Dr. Garrett Smith

drsmith at doctorasteacher dot com

I think this is an excellent idea. My mother revealed it was her secret fear...

I would only worry about how you enforce this?

Would the home be 100% gluten-free? Would families be banned from taking gluten items into the home ? not to mention is Arizona the best place regarding the options we might have when older? (Is Assisted suicide legal? and what drugs are legal etc.?)

I'm perhaps thinking ahead here but I would be afraid to go into a care home in a state that didn't guarantee my right to end my own life when the time comes. Not that I'm planing on doing this but if you are in a care home and they need to release you then it makes it all the harder getting released so you can travel somewhere it is legal.

The same goes for drugs.... Ive no intention of getitng stuck somewhere later on where a state thinks its cool to deny drugs that can make me feel better simply because they might also feel good. I never understood legislation that prevents terminal cancer patients being given class A drugs in case they get addicted....? So in other words the location would be very important for me as well.

• 12 years later...
Judy Schaper Newbie

Since I learned our local assisted living facility is excellent in every way, except the fact that they do not serve gluten-free meals. I am handicapped, and it my husband were to die first, I could not stay in our home, alone.  I was told, when I put my name on the waiting list, that I could  do my own cooking. But how would I buy groceries? .  I can't drive because I can't get into and out of the vehicle without help.  I would go insane in our local care center, which is highly rated because I have   a good mind and would be bored to death. (maybe that is the way to go? Also, I would not have a  private room. This has me  depressed. 

Where can one find the location of assisted living homes that do serve gluten-free meals?  Thank you for any ideas.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You may want to check with any Celiac Support groups in your area or your GI's office to see if they know of any place. You also might be able to get assistance in your own home from Certified Nurses Aides or Home Health workers.  In some areas a persons family members or freinds can get paid to help. Your local Social Services office or Center for the Aging might have some information on these types of services. You could also consider having a room mate if your home is large enough. Hopefully some other folks on here will have more ideas for you. It is a concern for many of us.

Scott Adams Grand Master

This article might be helpful: