Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I went to the gastro doc today.....had my hour appt....very nice doctor.

Got my blood tests done and he gave me colazal to take until i get my results...

He says hes had fabulous response from patients taking this?

Anyone here have any experiences taking it?

Thanks so much

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I went to the gastro doc today.....had my hour appt....very nice doctor.

Got my blood tests done and he gave me colazal to take until i get my results...

He says hes had fabulous response from patients taking this?

Anyone here have any experiences taking it?

Thanks so much

:)

I was also put on Colazal by my gastro doc while we were waiting for biopsy results. I was taking it three times a day. It seemed to help. After the diagnosis he switched me to Sandostatin shots twice a day. I did that for a month. Now I'm on the Sandostatin once a month. I am newly diagnosed. It's been about two months. I find that eating very plain chicken, pork, beef and potatoes or rice is the best for me until the intestines are healed.

Can I ask why you were perscribed something? What do these meds. do for a celiac? Or were they perscribed for another condition?

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

This is a very new drug that seems to act as an antinflammatory. There is a lot of info on it on the net if you google it. Make sure if you take it that your doctor does a urinalysis and liver panel on you before you take it and if you decide to take it long term be aware that it has not been on the market long enough for them to either access long term complications or adverse effects. Just figured I would add that caution since so many of the drugs I was given prediagnosis have either been pulled from the market or now have serious black box warnings.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Can I ask why you were perscribed something? What do these meds. do for a celiac? Or were they perscribed for another condition?

Amy

This drug is used in the treatment of mild to moderate ulcerative colitis. It would not be something given for the treatment of celiac. The exception might be for inflammation and bleeding during a glutening episode. It was given, if I read the person correctly, because they don't have the results yet of the panel. If a gluten free diet is needed then the diet would take care of the problem.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Colazal is also used in the treatment of microscopic colitis (both collegeneous and lymphocytic). It is a poorly absorbed steroid that is supposed to help with the inflammation of the intestinal lining.

I'm wondering if they are merely trying to get control of the symptoms for you. Obviously it won't help the celiac, but it will help the symptoms go away.

I just noticed the initial post was from March 1...KristySF, if you're still reading, how is it going? Did the colazal help? I'm just finishing up a course of predisone and then will start entocort, a similar drug, because we just can't get the D under control. So, I'm wondering if it is helping you!

Thanks,

CL

Dx'd with lymphocytic colitis 1/07

Dx'd by Enterolab 3/07--+IgA, +Ttg, DQ2 and DQ8

Dx'd celiac by Dr. Lewey 4/07--without +blood or biopsy

gluten-free 3/7/07

Amy

I was misdiagnosed with microscopic colitis before the celiac was found. The colazol seemed to help with the D.