This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Frosting In A Can

Guhlia

Guhlia Rising Star

I know that recipes have recently changed so I'm not sure which is gluten free. I bought Duncan Hines creamy homestyle vanilla and Pillsbury cream cheese icing. Neither had wheat or barley listed as an ingredient, but I bought two totally different kinds just to be sure. Anyone know which is safe? I'm making her cupcakes right now and we're serving them after dinner tonight.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

I know the pillsbury cream cheese is fine. I had it about a month ago. Really makes me mad they changed the frostings.

gf4life Enthusiast

I use Pillsbury most often. I have found that only the coconut caramel frosting has gluten in it (at last check) and we tend to use either the vanilla, white, chocolate or chocolate fudge flavors. The other brands tend to have more flavors with gluten in them and I don't like taking chances. I once got mixed up with it and frosted all my gluten free cupcakes with a gluten frosting after I bought the wrong kind! I had to decorate a separate cupcake for my child for school with the gluten-free frosting!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I called about Duncan Hines (Canada, but the label said manufactured in the U.S.) in December and was told it is NOT gluten-free. I'd use the Pillsbury and call Duncan Hines on Monday. (Well, I'd use Pillsbury if I lived south of the 49th, we can't get it here.)

Edit: OOOPS! I guess I'm too late, I just saw the original time of your post was yesterday. I hope you used the Pillsbury, and to change topics...is the chicken fingers recipe from your avatar posted somewhere?

Guhlia Rising Star
I called about Duncan Hines (Canada, but the label said manufactured in the U.S.) in December and was told it is NOT gluten-free. I'd use the Pillsbury and call Duncan Hines on Monday. (Well, I'd use Pillsbury if I lived south of the 49th, we can't get it here.)

Edit: OOOPS! I guess I'm too late, I just saw the original time of your post was yesterday. I hope you used the Pillsbury, and to change topics...is the chicken fingers recipe from your avatar posted somewhere?

I ended up making my own frosting because I just wasn't sure. It ended up turning out much better than canned frosting, though usually I have horrible luck with that sort of thing. The cupcakes are amazing!!!

Here's the fried chicken recipe. I had posted it a while ago. They are WONDERFUL!!!

INGREDIENTS

* 1-1/2 cups rice flour

* 1-1/2 teaspoons salt

* 1/4 teaspoon paprika

* 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder

* 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder

* 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper

* 1 egg

* 2 cups buttermilk

* 1/2 cup barbeque sauce

* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

* 1 package of chicken breasts cut into strips OR 1/2 a whole chicken broken into pieces

* 2 cups oil for frying

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large shallow dish, mix together flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. In a separate bowl, beat egg, then whisk in buttermilk, barbeque sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.

2. Dredge chicken in milk mixture, then in seasoned flour, alternating in each at least twice. Heat oil in a large, deep-sided skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

3. Cook chicken in hot oil until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes each side.

Archived