Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guhlia

Gluten Free Frosting In A Can

I know that recipes have recently changed so I'm not sure which is gluten free. I bought Duncan Hines creamy homestyle vanilla and Pillsbury cream cheese icing. Neither had wheat or barley listed as an ingredient, but I bought two totally different kinds just to be sure. Anyone know which is safe? I'm making her cupcakes right now and we're serving them after dinner tonight.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use Pillsbury most often. I have found that only the coconut caramel frosting has gluten in it (at last check) and we tend to use either the vanilla, white, chocolate or chocolate fudge flavors. The other brands tend to have more flavors with gluten in them and I don't like taking chances. I once got mixed up with it and frosted all my gluten free cupcakes with a gluten frosting after I bought the wrong kind! I had to decorate a separate cupcake for my child for school with the gluten-free frosting!

~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

I called about Duncan Hines (Canada, but the label said manufactured in the U.S.) in December and was told it is NOT gluten-free. I'd use the Pillsbury and call Duncan Hines on Monday. (Well, I'd use Pillsbury if I lived south of the 49th, we can't get it here.)

Edit: OOOPS! I guess I'm too late, I just saw the original time of your post was yesterday. I hope you used the Pillsbury, and to change topics...is the chicken fingers recipe from your avatar posted somewhere?

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

I called about Duncan Hines (Canada, but the label said manufactured in the U.S.) in December and was told it is NOT gluten-free. I'd use the Pillsbury and call Duncan Hines on Monday. (Well, I'd use Pillsbury if I lived south of the 49th, we can't get it here.)

Edit: OOOPS! I guess I'm too late, I just saw the original time of your post was yesterday. I hope you used the Pillsbury, and to change topics...is the chicken fingers recipe from your avatar posted somewhere?

I ended up making my own frosting because I just wasn't sure. It ended up turning out much better than canned frosting, though usually I have horrible luck with that sort of thing. The cupcakes are amazing!!!

Here's the fried chicken recipe. I had posted it a while ago. They are WONDERFUL!!!

INGREDIENTS

* 1-1/2 cups rice flour

* 1-1/2 teaspoons salt

* 1/4 teaspoon paprika

* 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder

* 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder

* 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper

* 1 egg

* 2 cups buttermilk

* 1/2 cup barbeque sauce

* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

* 1 package of chicken breasts cut into strips OR 1/2 a whole chicken broken into pieces

* 2 cups oil for frying

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large shallow dish, mix together flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. In a separate bowl, beat egg, then whisk in buttermilk, barbeque sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.

2. Dredge chicken in milk mixture, then in seasoned flour, alternating in each at least twice. Heat oil in a large, deep-sided skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

3. Cook chicken in hot oil until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes each side.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Janelle Morman
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts