Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can anyone tell me what white rice is gluten free? are all of them? I don't care for uncle ben's white rice. It gets to mushy for me. Thank you

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

can anyone tell me what white rice is gluten free? are all of them? I don't care for uncle ben's white rice. It gets to mushy for me. Thank you

lisa

All white rice is gluten free if it doesn't have a sauce mix or spices packaged with it. :P

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

White rice is just white rice. Shouldn't have anything added to it so it should be gluten free. If yours is getting mushy you might be adding too much water to it and possibly cooking it for too long. I do not have a problem with mushy rice and I am not that particular to brand. I usually just buy whatever is cheapest. I've also bought the pre-cooked kind from Trader Joes. It's good for a quick meal or to add to soup.

I never had a problem with Uncle Ben's either, though now I use Lundberg brown rice, and have no intention to go back to the parboiled stuff.

You can cook Uncle Ben's in the microwave (not in plastic please). It always turned out quite well for me. As I recall, it took less time too - about 18-20 mins. I remember using a slightly different amount of water, but not sure if it was a bit less or more than for stove top cooking. I think it was slightly less. I'd cover it too, but the cover was light enough for air bubbles to escape. Two mins or so on high, then about 16 mins low to medium. Ovens vary of course. If it boils over then the power level is too high (or the bowl is too full). It will then be REALLY HOT, and will cook the rest of the way while it cools down.

As for the gluten-free question; I read some may have gluten because of the fortification process, which requires something to get the added nutrients to stick to the grains.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

If rice is too mushy try reducing water by about a teaspoon and keep flame or heat lower. I purchased a "diffuser" which is a flat metal thing that goes on top of the burner. It is about an inch in height and is as round as my burner is, and has a 8 or 9 inch handle. This diffuser allows the heat to hit the bottom of saucepan more evenly and keeps the foods from scorching. I don't remember where I got it from: mail order like Walter Drake ...

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    freedom.dtt
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)