This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wheat / Corn Vinegar, And Alcohol.

JennGFCF

JennGFCF Newbie

Hi,

I'm new here. I have Celiac disease, and an intense corn intolerance. I'd like to know if anyone here also experiences feeling lousy after eating anything with white vinegar in it, or from drinking grain based alcohol. I've noticed that I tend to feel sick after ingesting any of those.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGluGirl Contributor
Hi,

I'm new here. I have Celiac disease, and an intense corn intolerance. I'd like to know if anyone here also experiences feeling lousy after eating anything with white vinegar in it, or from drinking grain based alcohol. I've noticed that I tend to feel sick after ingesting any of those.

Dear JennGFCF,

I have experienced this as well. I tolerate corn, but not corn syrup. It makes me feel blah afterwards. I don't know if it is just too sweet, or what. Grain derived alcohol is something you need to completely avoid unless it is labeled gluten free. Japanese Mirin is a rice wine. It should be safe, but it never hurts to look up brands to be sure. I cannot live without Chinese food, so when I thought I was never going to be able to find a gluten free sherry for the marinade (it is equal parts soy sauce to equal parts sherry) I was very upset. It turns out, Holland House sold at Wal-Mart is labeled gluten free. It is by the vinegars. I believe you could have an overgrowth of yeast in your system causing the sensitivity to vinegar and corn. Corn is high in carbohydrate, and sometimes high carbohydrate foods make you ill if you have an overgrowth of yeast in your system. I have that. I get terrible reflux from vinegar much of the time. Two lousy sips of alcohol used to make me feel like I had a fireball in my stomach, and it would ache all night afterward before I went gluten free. Alcohol tends to irritate yeast overgrowth as well. One way to tell if you could have an overgrowth of Candida is if you have been on a lot of antibiotics, (recently or in the past), have taken birth control, given birth, and/or been on steroids of any kind, including those for asthma. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

CarlaB Enthusiast

Grain alcohol bothers some celiacs and not others. Potato vodka, rum, tequila, most wine do not have gluten. You might stick with those.

I don't think distilled vinegar bothers me, but to tell the truth, the ONLY time I would ever have it is if it was in a salad dressing, and I make all my own dressings at home.

Things that are labeled "vinegar" and it does not specify, is apple cider vinegar.

happygirl Collaborator

White vinegar is generally corn-based, so if you have a problem with corn, you should not be eating it. That would be why you are feeling sick after eating it!

Tash-n-tail Rookie
Grain alcohol bothers some celiacs and not others. Potato vodka, rum, tequila, most wine do not have gluten. You might stick with those.

Thats great to know. Thank you. I was warned off red wine which is my favourite choice unfortunately. I've actually seriously thought of brewing my own buckwheat beer lately! :lol:

And I have shelved the idea of picking up some gluten-free beers here in Britain -- with carriage the cost is something like

CarlaB Enthusiast

Marcus, I've drank red wine with no problem, so I know it doesn't apply to all red wines. I guess you could check your favorites to be sure. I'm with you, I don't like white wine and even drink red wine with fish! :lol:

Too bad there's not a good gluten-free beer there. My husband likes Budweiser's new Redbridge, and he doesn't have to be gluten-free.

Tash-n-tail Rookie
White vinegar is generally corn-based, so if you have a problem with corn, you should not be eating it. That would be why you are feeling sick after eating it!

I was not aware of that! Hhhhmmmm

Explains loads tho'! Would you know if coeliacs become more tolerant of corn once they get over the glutening and are utterly wheat-free? I'd love to be able to introduce corn back into my diet. Not to mention popcorn. From curiosity, can you suggest an alternative to corn syrup for candy making and baking? Honey?

Marcus.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tash-n-tail Rookie
Marcus, I've drank red wine with no problem, so I know it doesn't apply to all red wines. I guess you could check your favorites to be sure. I'm with you, I don't like white wine and even drink red wine with fish! :lol:

Too bad there's not a good gluten-free beer there. My husband likes Budweiser's new Redbridge, and he doesn't have to be gluten-free.

Oh I must treat myself soon! It's been years! Years I tell you. And I did the same with fish! Oh I'm drooling! Maybe a nice California or Chilean if I can track one down. Woot that means -- wine jelly with the left overs! (Don't ask, out of fashion for decades). Although the likes of us don't need more than just a fraction of something to set us off huh?

Well I'm not sure about the beers here. When I first got over everything tasted so weird especially the Bud's then I discovered they were brewed in Belgium AND a coeliac. Your husband is a very lucky man. Eyeballing the links a pal sent me they featured cherry beer and chestnut beer both gluten-free. Sometimes just saying "no" is much safer.

DebbieInCanada Rookie
...Would you know if coeliacs become more tolerant of corn once they get over the glutening and are utterly wheat-free? I'd love to be able to introduce corn back into my diet. Not to mention popcorn. From curiosity, can you suggest an alternative to corn syrup for candy making and baking? Honey?

Marcus.

First - sorry to report in my case that my corn sensitivity has never reduced, and I've been gluten-free for almost 10 years. :(

As for the candy making - I add a 1/2 tsp or so of lemon juice to the sugar mixture. The corn syrup has a different sugar molecule, and doesn't crystallize as easily, so that is why a small amount is added to most candy recipes. The Lemon juice will break down some of the sugar into the other form, and help avoid crystallization. I make a lot of my own candy, especially around Christmas, (marshmallows, brittle, caramel, Mmmm...), and have a good success with the lemon juice. Don't add too much, or you will notice the taste. but hey - even lemony marshmallows are better than corn-laced ones! :P

Debbie

Tash-n-tail Rookie
First - sorry to report in my case that my corn sensitivity has never reduced, and I've been gluten-free for almost 10 years. :(

As for the candy making - I add a 1/2 tsp or so of lemon juice to the sugar mixture. The corn syrup has a different sugar molecule, and doesn't crystallize as easily, so that is why a small amount is added to most candy recipes. The Lemon juice will break down some of the sugar into the other form, and help avoid crystallization. I make a lot of my own candy, especially around Christmas, (marshmallows, brittle, caramel, Mmmm...), and have a good success with the lemon juice. Don't add too much, or you will notice the taste. but hey - even lemony marshmallows are better than corn-laced ones! :P

Debbie

Good tip there on the lemon juice. Hey I like lemons and don't mind the flavour, Oranges are verbooten but limes, lemons and grapefuits are fine. I hear you. The marshmallows here have wheat in the readily available ones so it hasn't featured on the list either. And I recently got a gluten-free recipe too.

Too bad about the corn. :( :( I really miss popcorn, corn wraps and Fritos. The Indians do a puffed rice and I've been wondering whether I could tweak that into a savoury snack with cheese melted over it, although the idea of puffing the rice sort of boggles me.

Speaking of corn syrups and sweeteners -- you should see the list of ingredients on a "squash" here. Instant death! I stop breathing the moment the stuff touches my lips.

happygirl Collaborator

I think it varies based on the person...some Celiacs have no other food issues, some have concurent and long term allergies/intolerances, and some develop them and they stay/others have them and they leave. At one point I was intolerant to just about everything, including corn.

If you are truly having trouble with any corn, be aware the corn can be cross contaminated with corn, and is generally not safe for those who are truly allergic to corn.

There are a couple threads on this board about corn, for more information. You can also check out www.cornallergens.com and they have great information including what corn derivatives are out there, but this is mainly American based info.

Wines are almost always gluten free, but I can't speak to their corn free status. They can be made with all kinds of things, including eggs, casein, etc (i.e., other allergens) and they aren't listed, so I don't know how you would find out about corn and wine.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Oh I must treat myself soon! It's been years! Years I tell you. And I did the same with fish! Oh I'm drooling! Maybe a nice California or Chilean if I can track one down. Woot that means -- wine jelly with the left overs! (Don't ask, out of fashion for decades). Although the likes of us don't need more than just a fraction of something to set us off huh?

Well I'm not sure about the beers here. When I first got over everything tasted so weird especially the Bud's then I discovered they were brewed in Belgium AND a coeliac. Your husband is a very lucky man. Eyeballing the links a pal sent me they featured cherry beer and chestnut beer both gluten-free. Sometimes just saying "no" is much safer.

Thank you ... and enjoy the wine! Yes, and just a fraction can set us off, that's for sure!

I, thankfully, do not have a problem with corn ... but believe it or not, I can't have alcohol! (nothing to do with gluten intolerance, has to do with medications and Lyme).

Nice picture. :)

JennGFCF Newbie

That's interesting, because I can drink red wine. It doesn't make me sick.

JennGFCF Newbie
Good tip there on the lemon juice. Hey I like lemons and don't mind the flavour, Oranges are verbooten but limes, lemons and grapefuits are fine. I hear you. The marshmallows here have wheat in the readily available ones so it hasn't featured on the list either. And I recently got a gluten-free recipe too.

Too bad about the corn. :( :( I really miss popcorn, corn wraps and Fritos. The Indians do a puffed rice and I've been wondering whether I could tweak that into a savoury snack with cheese melted over it, although the idea of puffing the rice sort of boggles me.

Speaking of corn syrups and sweeteners -- you should see the list of ingredients on a "squash" here. Instant death! I stop breathing the moment the stuff touches my lips.

I've never heard of corn wine. Most wine is made from grapes alone. As for corn syrup, I completely avoid it, too. It's really bad stuff.

Tash-n-tail Rookie
Thank you ... and enjoy the wine! I can't have alcohol! (nothing to do with gluten intolerance, has to do with medications and Lyme).

Nice picture. :)

Sorry about the Lyme's Disease! :( Nasty!

Ta -- the "New" Nokia last summer and fooling around with it. And believe me the Forum is going to hear about my glass of wine! :lol:

happygirl Collaborator
I've never heard of corn wine. Most wine is made from grapes alone.

Its not corn wine. All wines are made from grapes, yes, but they are clarified and processed with other things. Wine is not 100% grapes, in the sense that other products are used to finalize it. There are even vegan wines, that aren't made with any animal products (eggs, dairy, etc). ---- I only know this because I was reacting to everything under the sun last year, and came away with a knowledge of food processing that I never thought I would have! (vegan wine list---fyi about wine Open Original Shared Link

hope this clarifies my earlier post!

Tash-n-tail Rookie
I've never heard of corn wine. Most wine is made from grapes alone. As for corn syrup, I completely avoid it, too. It's really bad stuff.

Hhhmmmm probably come up on a Google search or such. Mexico/Aztec corn base diet. But there is probably a recipe somewhere for corn as an alcohol starter. Probably a beer. If I recall correctly as a child in South Africa the Africans on the farm made a sour beer with maize kernels they would chew and start the fermenting process that way.

Plum wine is big in Asia. Sake is a rice wine. Here in Britain Elderberry wine has a fervent following of home-brewers trawling the hedgerows picking the stuff. Ginger can be used as a base to my knowledge. Masticated fruits and grains have been the basis for booze for millenia! But I'm open to correction folks. Still I agree with you that they aren't what we consider a real wine these days.

Of course I now want to know ALL the nasties on corn syrup. :P

NoGluGirl Contributor
Hhhmmmm probably come up on a Google search or such. Mexico/Aztec corn base diet. But there is probably a recipe somewhere for corn as an alcohol starter. Probably a beer. If I recall correctly as a child in South Africa the Africans on the farm made a sour beer with maize kernels they would chew and start the fermenting process that way.

Plum wine is big in Asia. Sake is a rice wine. Here in Britain Elderberry wine has a fervent following of home-brewers trawling the hedgerows picking the stuff. Ginger can be used as a base to my knowledge. Masticated fruits and grains have been the basis for booze for millenia! But I'm open to correction folks. Still I agree with you that they aren't what we consider a real wine these days.

Of course I now want to know ALL the nasties on corn syrup. :P

Dear Tash_n_tail,

I do not know if you like sherry, but though I only use it for cooking, Holland House Cooking Sherry is labeled gluten free. It is at our Wal-Mart near the vinegar. I do not know about the UK, but maybe they will have that there. Here is a list I found on celiac.com

Armagnac - made from grapes.

Bourbon - Makers Mark

Brandy

Champagne

Cider - fermented from apples or other fruits. Some are safe, however, many add barley for enzymes and flavor.

Old Deadly Cider

Cognac - made from grapes.

Gin

Grappa

Kahlua

Kirschwasser (cherry liqueur)

Margarita Mix:

Jose Cuervo.

Mr. & Mrs. "T".

Martini:

Club Extra Dry Martini (corn & grape).

Club Vodka Martini (corn & grape).

Mead - distilled from honey.

Mistico:

Jose Cuervo Mistico (agave and cane).

Mixes & Cooking Alcohol:

Club Tom Collins (corn).

Dimond Jim's Bloody Mary Mystery.

Holland House - all EXCEPT Teriyaki Marinade and Smooth & Spicy Bloody Mary Mixes.

Mr. & Mrs. "T" - all Except Bloody Mary Mix.

Spice Islands - Cooking Wines - Burgundy, Sherry and White.

Ouzo - made from grapes and anise.

Rum

Sake - fermented with rice and Koji enzymes. The Koji enzymes are grown on Miso, which is usually made with barley. The two-product separation from barley, and the manufacturing process should make it safe for celiacs.

Scotch Whiskey

Sherry

Sparkling Wine

Tequila

Vermouth - distilled from grapes.

Vodka

Wine - all wines, including port wines and sherry, are safe for celiacs.

Wine Coolers:

Bartle & James - their wine-based beverages (EXCEPT their malt beverages - read the label carefully!).

Boone's - their wine-based beverages (EXCEPT their malt beverages - read the label carefully!)

I hope this helps. I am sorry some of these have corn, as I know you do not tolerate it. I eat corn, and it sets alright, except in the form of corn syrup.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Archived