This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More Constipation

Nikki2003

Nikki2003 Contributor

Nicole is very constipated again. I don't know what else to give her to help her go. I have given her miralax yesterday and 3 cups of hot cocoa and nothing.

Any other food thoughts?

sometimes the prune juice help but not much if any.

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

betsy7 Rookie

We have the same problem with our two year old son. We use Miralax when it gets bad, but we've also gotten him to like Lara apple bars - they have walnuts, raisins, dates, apples, etc... If he eats a bar a day (or 2), it seems to really keep things on track. Hummus also is a good snack... he'll eat the roasted red pepper kind (minus the chunks of red pepper).

We also were advised by our doc to give him flax seed oil -- we put it in apple juice or prune juice. I guess it helps to coat the bowel and make it more "slippery". The brand Barleans is gluten free -- whole foods sells it in the liquid form.

Try to limit rice-based foods, bananas and dairy for a bit, too.

Good luck!!

• 11 months later...
Magdalena Rose Newbie
We have the same problem with our two year old son. We use Miralax when it gets bad, but we've also gotten him to like Lara apple bars - they have walnuts, raisins, dates, apples, etc... If he eats a bar a day (or 2), it seems to really keep things on track. Hummus also is a good snack... he'll eat the roasted red pepper kind (minus the chunks of red pepper).

We also were advised by our doc to give him flax seed oil -- we put it in apple juice or prune juice. I guess it helps to coat the bowel and make it more "slippery". The brand Barleans is gluten free -- whole foods sells it in the liquid form.

Try to limit rice-based foods, bananas and dairy for a bit, too.

Good luck!!

Hey what kind of hummus do you use?

tarnalberry Community Regular

if the hot chocolate is dairy based, it could be causing the problem. magnesium can also help relieve constipation.

RiceGuy Collaborator
if the hot chocolate is dairy based, it could be causing the problem. magnesium can also help relieve constipation.

Absolutely. On this subject, I generally recommend powdered magnesium in orange juice. The powder form ensures maximum absorption, and the acidic juice enhances this too.

BTW, cocoa does have a fairly good amount of magnesium, so I'm guessing that's why it might help.

analop Newbie

Hi there..

the only thing that ever really works with my 5 year old is papaya. cut in small bits and soaked in fresh orange juice and sprinkled with sugar to taste....it never fails... the next day she goes no problem!!

It

JustMe75 Enthusiast

My fifteen year old daughter was having trouble with constipation and she started taking magnesium every night and flaxseed oil 2x a day and she is doing much better. I would think you could mix it up in some juice since she probably can't swallow pills yet. Good luck, its awful when your kids are dealing with that. You feel so helpless.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Izak's Mom Apprentice
Nicole is very constipated again. I don't know what else to give her to help her go. I have given her miralax yesterday and 3 cups of hot cocoa and nothing.

Any other food thoughts?

sometimes the prune juice help but not much if any.

thanks

My toddler is so picky these days, we've settled on a half to 3/4-dose (half to 3/4 capful) of Miralax every morning. He still only goes every 2-3 days - and with effort - but the stool is soft and not painful. Biggest issue is that most of the time all he'll eat is rice, bread, pasta, or bananas...nothing really poop-inducing. So I try to make sure he always has enough to drink - sippy cups everywhere, especially since the Miralax works by drawing water into the bowels. Of course, this also means that he has to pee all the time & I have to pull over every 15 min in the car so he can pee on the tires (we're potty training & basically out of diapers except for overnight - peeing on car tires is the best thing ever to him, and for me it's worth it to not have him going in his pants/carseat!)

Anyway, would she eat dried apricots? Those always seem to do the trick for me.

Archived