Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nikki2003

More Constipation

Nicole is very constipated again. I don't know what else to give her to help her go. I have given her miralax yesterday and 3 cups of hot cocoa and nothing.

Any other food thoughts?

sometimes the prune juice help but not much if any.

thanks

Nicole- 3 yrs old Positive Celiac Blood test- 6/21/2006 //// Normal result: <20,,,Nicole-80

Positive Biopsy for Celiac- 7/17/2006

Gluten-Free Since - 7/22/2006

Alivia- 7 years- old Positive Celiac blood test-Aug. 2006////Normal result:<4,,,Alivia-32.

Biopsy showed positive for Celiac Disease and moderate to severe damage (Blood Work for both girls were done in different labs that is why they are different)

Gluten free since:Dec.2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We have the same problem with our two year old son. We use Miralax when it gets bad, but we've also gotten him to like Lara apple bars - they have walnuts, raisins, dates, apples, etc... If he eats a bar a day (or 2), it seems to really keep things on track. Hummus also is a good snack... he'll eat the roasted red pepper kind (minus the chunks of red pepper).

We also were advised by our doc to give him flax seed oil -- we put it in apple juice or prune juice. I guess it helps to coat the bowel and make it more "slippery". The brand Barleans is gluten free -- whole foods sells it in the liquid form.

Try to limit rice-based foods, bananas and dairy for a bit, too.

Good luck!!

We have the same problem with our two year old son. We use Miralax when it gets bad, but we've also gotten him to like Lara apple bars - they have walnuts, raisins, dates, apples, etc... If he eats a bar a day (or 2), it seems to really keep things on track. Hummus also is a good snack... he'll eat the roasted red pepper kind (minus the chunks of red pepper).

We also were advised by our doc to give him flax seed oil -- we put it in apple juice or prune juice. I guess it helps to coat the bowel and make it more "slippery". The brand Barleans is gluten free -- whole foods sells it in the liquid form.

Try to limit rice-based foods, bananas and dairy for a bit, too.

Good luck!!

Hey what kind of hummus do you use?

if the hot chocolate is dairy based, it could be causing the problem. magnesium can also help relieve constipation.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

if the hot chocolate is dairy based, it could be causing the problem. magnesium can also help relieve constipation.

Absolutely. On this subject, I generally recommend powdered magnesium in orange juice. The powder form ensures maximum absorption, and the acidic juice enhances this too.

BTW, cocoa does have a fairly good amount of magnesium, so I'm guessing that's why it might help.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Hi there..

the only thing that ever really works with my 5 year old is papaya. cut in small bits and soaked in fresh orange juice and sprinkled with sugar to taste....it never fails... the next day she goes no problem!!

It

My fifteen year old daughter was having trouble with constipation and she started taking magnesium every night and flaxseed oil 2x a day and she is doing much better. I would think you could mix it up in some juice since she probably can't swallow pills yet. Good luck, its awful when your kids are dealing with that. You feel so helpless.

Nicole is very constipated again. I don't know what else to give her to help her go. I have given her miralax yesterday and 3 cups of hot cocoa and nothing.

Any other food thoughts?

sometimes the prune juice help but not much if any.

thanks

My toddler is so picky these days, we've settled on a half to 3/4-dose (half to 3/4 capful) of Miralax every morning. He still only goes every 2-3 days - and with effort - but the stool is soft and not painful. Biggest issue is that most of the time all he'll eat is rice, bread, pasta, or bananas...nothing really poop-inducing. So I try to make sure he always has enough to drink - sippy cups everywhere, especially since the Miralax works by drawing water into the bowels. Of course, this also means that he has to pee all the time & I have to pull over every 15 min in the car so he can pee on the tires (we're potty training & basically out of diapers except for overnight - peeing on car tires is the best thing ever to him, and for me it's worth it to not have him going in his pants/carseat!)

Anyway, would she eat dried apricots? Those always seem to do the trick for me.

DS1&only(so far!): born 7/12/05 * chronic diarrhea from age 5 mos. * WF/gluten-free from age 9 mos. * NO MORE LOOSE POOP!

10/19/2006 Tested positive for DQ2 Heterodimer (HLA DQA1*05/DQB1*02) and negative for HLA DQ8. Have followup appt. with ped. GI in December!

Update: Told GI I was unwilling to do serum tests (give him gluten). GI said if what I was doing works, then keep on keepin' on! Happy, healthy & nearly two now! Occasional rash & loose poop from drinking bathwater, so switching to all gluten-free beauty/personal products.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    freedom.dtt
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)