This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gastric Bypass Surgery And Celiac

Guest franS

Guest franS

I had bariatric surgery 7 months ago. I had an awful time eating and not getting very sick. I lost over 120 pounds in the first 6 months and was in the bathroom constantly. I got very sick and doctors were rather unresponsive. My surgeon told me I WAS EATING TOO MUCH. Blood work showed I was not absorbing nutrient, but hey, tat's what the surgery does!!

Finally after weakening significantly a friend and his wife took me to the ER. They admitted me and finally did the test I was asking. I have a PICC line into my heart for IV feedings and after the biopsy results came back found out that I have extensive celiac which was exacerbated by the surgery. The doctor believed that I had this for years undiagnosed. Most celiacs are not obese? But I had all the symptoms and so do 2 of my 4 adult kids. I am much relieved because I have a course of treatment. Ijust want to know if there is anyone out there in a similar situation????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest franS
I had bariatric surgery 7 months ago. I had an awful time eating and not getting very sick. I lost over 120 pounds in the first 6 months and was in the bathroom constantly. I got very sick and doctors were rather unresponsive. My surgeon told me I WAS EATING TOO MUCH. Blood work showed I was not absorbing nutrient, but hey, tat's what the surgery does!!

Finally after weakening significantly a friend and his wife took me to the ER. They admitted me and finally did the test I was asking. I have a PICC line into my heart for IV feedings and after the biopsy results came back found out that I have extensive celiac which was exacerbated by the surgery. The doctor believed that I had this for years undiagnosed. Most celiacs are not obese? But I had all the symptoms and so do 2 of my 4 adult kids. I am much relieved because I have a course of treatment. Ijust want to know if there is anyone out there in a similar situation????

JUST WANTED TO ADD...

I cannot do sugar, lactose, and need to be gluten-free.

I cannot tolerate rice, meat, bread, and many frest fruit and veggies because of what it does to my new pouch. If I cook the heck out of things I can tolerate them better. It is the density and the heaviness of certain foods, plus the rawness that will not allow the food to staydown. But things are getting better. I so the the information available from all of you on this site - thank you! I WAS FEELING SO ALONE .

Guest franS

JUST WANTED TO ADD...

I cannot do sugar, lactose, and need to be gluten-free.

I cannot tolerate rice, meat, bread, and many frest fruit and veggies because of what it does to my new pouch. If I cook the heck out of things I can tolerate them better. It is the density and the heaviness of certain foods, plus the rawness that will not allow the food to staydown. But things are getting better. I so the the information available from all of you on this site - thank you! I WAS FEELING SO ALONE .

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Fran,

I am sorry I cannot say I have been in your boat, but I am glad to hear you have found out what was making you so ill. Things will hopefully start going in the right direction. It might take some time to get back on your feet but in time you will feel like a whole new person. Good Luck.

VioletBlue Contributor

I read a Celiac Disease statistic somewhere, don't remember where that obesity is almost as common as being too thin. I'm about 80 lbs overweight but I was severly anemic and vitamin deficient when diagnosed. I was told if I lost weight all my problems would disappear. There is still a lot that's not known it appears about why gluten intolerance affects people differently. It would be nice if more doctors realized that Celiacs come in all shapes and sizes.

• 1 year later...
Ramona Newbie

I had gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago. Now everything that I eat is making me run to the bathroom......pasta, a sandwich, oatmeal, drink beer. Any help, could I have celiac disease. I cannot tolarant any dairy already.

cyberprof Enthusiast
I had gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago. Now everything that I eat is making me run to the bathroom......pasta, a sandwich, oatmeal, drink beer. Any help, could I have celiac disease. I cannot tolarant any dairy already.

It certainly could be the problem. And you should certainly go to your doctor because after having the surgery you need to be extra careful to get good nutrition, right?

Have your doc do the blood test while you're still eating gluten and go from there. This site has a lot of good info.

Good luck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator
Most celiacs are not obese?
Just as another person stated....it is just as common for an undiagnosed celiac to be overweight, as it is to be underweight!!! A malnourished person, someone who is not absorbing vitamins and minerals, can gain weight, just as easily as lose it. I know it doesn't seem possible, but it's very true. I was well on my way to being morbidly obese (@260#+, I quit looking, so I don't really know what I did weigh) before I went gluten free 8 yrs ago. After going gluten free, I lost 60#, and felt so much better. Then more intolerance's started to rear their ugly heads and my metabolism stopped working, I gained weight again. Nothing I did worked to get that weight off, not even exercising. I was glutened by a med in Jan this year, which made me ill for a long time....my metabolism kicked back in. For the first time in years, I have hunger pangs again!!!! I have lost 40#!

I have a son, who is obese, over 360# now. His doctors, going on the 3rd one, will not test him for celiac because, "You do not look like a celiac!" Many doctors still do not know that malnourished people do not have to be skin and bones!!! I can't convince my son to go gluten free without the doctor telling him he has too. He has so many symptoms. Along with the fact, his mom, his aunt, and his grandpa are all celiac's. To me, that should be enough family history for the doctor to do the testing, and yes, they know!!! Joe is almost 27, has high blood pressure, hypothyroid, carpal tunnel (which is a neuropathy and was the beginning of my neuropathy), sleep apnea (which I was just diagnosed with too), anxiety, terrible temper explosions--there is a problem with his liver which they have not figured out, they have had to do a heart echo....and everything seems to be a mystery to them, and still, they have not tested him for celiac!!!! He doesn't think he can demand to be tested. I live in another state or I would be there with him. I may just call his doctor!!!!

Good luck, and I'm glad you finally found out you are celiac too!!

Ramona Newbie

Thank you for replying. This week, I have not been as sick, or running to the bathroom. So I have put off making a doctor appt.

Ramona

mamaw Community Regular

very interesting subject. I know of three ladies who have done the surgery & now are celiac.

It sure is amazing where celiac comes into play.......

One celiac is hoping to have the procedure reversed since now the celiac dx's.

mommida Enthusiast

My sister works in a hospital and it is very common fo a multitude of problems after by-pass surgery.

I have heard of an increase of Celiac diagnoses after the surgery, to the point it may be in the fine print of possible side affects of the surgery. Which came first, Celiac or surgery? Our health system better wake up and start screening people for Celiac before more people lose the quality of life that leads to such a dangerous life altering surgery.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

My sister is an obese non gluten-free gluten intolerant person, she also has seizures, RA, eczema, depression, IBS, bad teeth, migrains, on & on.

My son is also overweight & has the, uh sure, idopathic liver problem. But he does not tell his doctors that he has a failure to thrive son or that gluten intolerance is rapant in his family nor that we also have hemochromatosis in the family.

Whenever I see an obese person I feel so sorry for them, because I know that the chances that they have an undiagnosed problem with gluten & I believe all grains is, huge, & that they probable have some other auto-immune problems already...

I recommend this book "good calories bad calories" by Gary Taubes

& yes, you should be consulting a licensed dietician & reading up on nutrition yourself. I also recommend "Super Foods" it is a great refresher course on nutrition. You will of course have to take supplements. Make sure they are gluten, dairy & soy free.

wishing you the best

• 4 years later...
floral Newbie

I also had gastic bypass sugery and had nothing but stomach problems since then and now diagnosed with celiac. I wonder just how many of us there are? What the statistics are? I am really interested in finding out more on this subject.

kareng Grand Master

I also had gastic bypass sugery and had nothing but stomach problems since then and now diagnosed with celiac. I wonder just how many of us there are? What the statistics are? I am really interested in finding out more on this subject.

Letting you know this thread is 4 years old. Most or all of these posters are not currently active

GFinDC Veteran

You could try doing a PM (personal message) to some of the original posters. They might see it and respond.

raso Newbie

Hi,

I have had gastric bypass, but not the usual kind, and now am being tested for celiac. My GB was because of a rare cancer, a sarcoma, on the outside of my stomach (part of it had grown into my stomach). The cancer is supposed to be cured, but I lost the distal 1/5 of my stomach, including the pylorus, and my duodenum is functioning as a conduit between the pancreas and the jejunum. So it is kinda like a bariatric GB but not as drastic. Yet I have tested low on copper & Vitamin D for certain. Some of the folks who have had my cancer & stomach surgery experience vitamin & mineral deficiencies but sounds like I am definitely not in the majority there. My GI doctor says she doesn't think my deficiencies are caused by my surgery as they can be absorbed other places besides the duodenum. Celiac fits in with my other symptoms. I wonder about wheat allergy. Whatever, bottom line, I do better without wheat for sure, probably gluten. I did have my gluten test run yesterday. I have not been chowing down on gluten, but never gave it up either.

So we'll see.

Hope this helps somewhat.

RASO

Archived