Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bklyn

Igg Food Antibody Assessment Questions

I'm reposting this in hopes of some help. I had this test done and the results are confusing to me. I scored the highest on tuna and cane sugar. Many other foods were listed, many of which I never eat. My question is how do I remove all of these foods, most are things I eat daily (milk, corn, rice). How reliable are these tests. My GI dr. doesn't consider them at all. Also, why wouldn't wheat or rye show up and oats did. (Don't eat any of them).

Please advise.

Thanks

Kathy

Kathy C.

Ft.Lauderdale, Fl.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Kathy,

the tests aren't at all reliable. To know for sure what bothers you, eliminate the foods from your diet one by one. Start with the highest scoring foods (tuna) and don't eat any tuna for 2 weeks. Do eat everything else. Keep careful notes. If you notice absolutely no difference, start eating tuna again and remove cane sugar. If you aren't sure if there's any difference, don't eat tuna for another 2 weeks.

Do this with all the foods you tested positive on (and actually want to eat). Any that you decide make you feel bad, remove from your diet completely. After you've tested all the foods, you can try eating a little of the ones with less intense reactions to see if you can tolerate them in small amounts (except gluten).

Does that help a little?

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Kathy -

The real test of whether you are intolerant will actually come when you add the food back in. If you are intolerant, it will hit you like a brick wall. Watch for nausea, headaches, swelling in the extremities, bloating of the abdominal area, excess flatulation among others. If you add the food back in on a daily basis, you should know within 2 days if you intolerant. You may be able to eat the food on an irregular basis, though not daily.

An excellent source for food allergy information is a doctor who suffers a lot of these allergies himself - Dr. William R. Walsh, M.D. - his book - Food Allergies: The Complete Guide to Understanding & Relieving your Food Allergies is very helpful.

My doctor told me to eliminate everything I tested positive for (but I could leave in the ones below the midpoint low) for two weeks and then add back in one food at a time every 4-7 days. You need to give yourself time to recover from a reaction should you have one, which can take up to 3 days. You also need to consider that you may be ok at first and start reacting once you've had more of that food, say a couple days later.

I've copied over a paper my doctor gave me. Hopefully it will help. :)

Food Allergies

Food allergies are a problem created by a disordered immune system. Normally, the immune system, or body

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Janelle Morman
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)