This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are Any 1 Here Girl Scouts

Guest lorlyn

Guest lorlyn

how do yall get through camp without eating gluten plzzzzzzzzzzzzz tell me as soon as posible :ph34r:

from the conserned girl scout

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2kids4me Contributor

You've come to the right place, there have been a few topics about scout camps. I will inlcude my post from a thread , and a link to another thread, on this site from last year:

My son, Matt is celiac and diabetic, attended cubs for 3 yrs and is now in scouts. As others have said - talk to the leader. I was camp cook for the cub camps and we prepared lots of meals gluten free or I provided substitutes. the group was more than willing to work with me...for scouts, they are in patrols and plan their own menu - all members are keen on cooking gluten free for the weekends and making it fit his diabetes plan. The scout group paid for the gluten free pancake mix that I provided - I felt that it was important to do ALL pancakes gluten free so no risk of cross contamination - the kids all thgouht they were better than the pancakes they had at home.They made trail mix with chocolate chips or M & M's (gluten free in Canada).

All menus were worked out with me in attendance, I provided gluten free cereal for my son, we had ham and potatoes with fresh veges at one cub camp - leader had separate butter container set aside for Matt. Tin foil dinners are always a hit - gluten free meat (Grimms or Freybes are good) potatoes and carrot or other vege, onions - wrap it in tin foil and throw it on the fire.

Ask to be part of the menu planning, if pasta is on the menu - let them know you can provide rice pasta as long as it is cooked separately. The group should not have an issue with compensating you for costs of providing substitutes.

For smores - I made gluten free crispy rice squares - made them flat like a wafer and cut them into squares - they substitute for the graham cracker! So Matt didnt have to just stick with a marshmallow! He could eat a smore right along with everyone.

As a note : it is an excellent learning situation for all the members of the troup - learning about celiac, helping a fellow scout by making safe meals - the kids in our group have embraced the knowledge and it educates them about celiac (and diabetes).

Sandy

a link to just the topic you need!

Open Original Shared Link

plantime Contributor

I was a Girl Scout leader for several years. In my troops, we always accomodated food problems. Several of the girls earned badges for the work they did setting up special menus and researching food-related illnesses. There is no reason whatsoever that Scout camps should not work out a menu plan for a celiac child.

Liz92 Rookie

Def. not a girls scout but do go to lots of camps!! I usually tell leaders in charge and eat mostlly fruits and stuuf and they usually try to cook gluten-free or have gluten-free food for me!! so nice of them. i luv my camps!! i have girls camp and youth conference if anybody besides kassie knows what that is

Guest lorlyn

hey thank u ill ask my gs leader and the camp leader if they can help me and if they cant ill bring my own food wat do u yall recomend

I was a Girl Scout leader for several years. In my troops, we always accomodated food problems. Several of the girls earned badges for the work they did setting up special menus and researching food-related illnesses. There is no reason whatsoever that Scout camps should not work out a menu plan for a celiac child.

Archived