Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrissy

Ttg Testing For Follow-up

larry mac suggested we start a new thread on this subject---and i thought it was a good idea. our plan is to test our girls at least every 6 months to see how well we have done on the diet. we have tested sooner when we felt it was needed.

it seems like there are people that question foods that do not give them symptoms, but could possibly be cross-contaminated. i keep wondering why some of these people don't have follow up Ttg tests to see if there is any damage being done.

our ped gi told us that he had a patient that was eating a particular food, but was not sure if it was safe. i think the child liked it, so they probably didn't want to give it up unless they had to. they did follow up blood work and discovered that the Ttg levels were still a problem so they knew that the bars were not safe. obviously, you would have to be certain about the other foods in your diet for this to work.

this may not be a good idea in all situations, but it seems like it could be a lot of help when it came to the question of whether or not some of these foods with CYA statements are safe or not.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

.....it seems like there are people that question foods that do not give them symptoms, but could possibly be cross-contaminated. i keep wondering why some of these people don't have follow up Ttg tests to see if there is any damage being done.....

I'm wondering if there is any consensus regarding this idea? I'm assuming a follow-up endoscopy with biopsys after one year gluten-free to check villi regrowth. But might this blood test for antibody levels be used for monitoring CC damage after that?

Pros, cons? Anyone?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

My GI actually said to me - that it's a shame there is no standard from the NIH for a follow-up endoscopy to make sure your body is healing. She suggested one at 2 years.

I never thought about getting my blood re-tested though to make sure that I'm doing the diet correctly and giving my body the chance to heal...

Tritty (my childhood nickname....)

Age 31, Mommy of 3

Blood test positive for celiac 1/16/07

gluten-free since 1/16/07

Endoscopy 2/13/07 - small hiatal hernia, scalloped mucosa in 1st and 2nd part of duodenum, some erosion of the esophogus.

Two oldest kids - fine so far :)

My 17 mo old has eosinophilic esophogitis. Only showing milk allergy? So completely off dairy for time being to see if that is trigger...