Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

floridanative

Cornstarch With Wheat In It

Back when I first started eating out again after my dx, we found a great Sushi place that told me there were five dishes (not sushi) on their menu I could have. I liked two of them so we went every few weeks. The last time we went (months ago) my food came out with a watery type sauce and the server explained it didn't have cornstarch since it now had wheat in it. I didn't care for a water based sauce so we never went back. Well today I was going to the nail salon and ended up parking near the Sushi place and the server recognized me and came up and asked me where I'd been. I explained about the sauce and that if they could not make it with cornstarch I didn't care to dine there anymore. I was nice and so was he. He told me he'd check on the cornstarch ingredients on the label and told me to stop in on my way back. I went in later to the restaurant and he said he was sorry that the cornstarch clearly states wheat on the label. I almost asked to see it but I know the place is barely hanging on for business so they would love us to come back. Therefore this is no reason for him to tell me there is wheat in the cornstarch if there isn't. I'm just baffled why anyone would put wheat flour in the cornstarch. Is it cheaper or something?

Dx'd with anemia - March 2005

Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005

Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006

Gluten free since 1-23-06

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That is puzzleing. If the cornstarch has wheat in it, it is no longer corn starch.

Here is a thought. I work in a gourmet food/gift place and we sell some oriental items such as rice noodles. The translation to english is quite humorous. Perhaps in the translation, could "starch" be translated to "wheat"?

Just a thought <_<

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Back when I first started eating out again after my dx, we found a great Sushi place that told me there were five dishes (not sushi) on their menu I could have. I liked two of them so we went every few weeks. The last time we went (months ago) my food came out with a watery type sauce and the server explained it didn't have cornstarch since it now had wheat in it. I didn't care for a water based sauce so we never went back. Well today I was going to the nail salon and ended up parking near the Sushi place and the server recognized me and came up and asked me where I'd been. I explained about the sauce and that if they could not make it with cornstarch I didn't care to dine there anymore. I was nice and so was he. He told me he'd check on the cornstarch ingredients on the label and told me to stop in on my way back. I went in later to the restaurant and he said he was sorry that the cornstarch clearly states wheat on the label. I almost asked to see it but I know the place is barely hanging on for business so they would love us to come back. Therefore this is no reason for him to tell me there is wheat in the cornstarch if there isn't. I'm just baffled why anyone would put wheat flour in the cornstarch. Is it cheaper or something?

I believe it was probably produced in a plant that also produces wheat and because of the law listing ingredients it was easier to say there was wheat in it. Usually the label says it is produced in a plant that also produces wheat. I belive the brand Bob's Mills is safe. I always read the labels no matter what.

I was told that corn starch can contain wheat. The brand that I was told was safe is the Argo brand.

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

It could be a modified starch which could contain both. If it says modified starch and is produced in the U.S., it is usually just cornstarch. However, if it was made outside the U.S., well, buyer beware.

I like the idea of taking your own box of Argo with you and see if they'll use it for you.

John

positive blood tests 2/07

positive endoscopy 2/07

colonoscopy with benign polyps 2/07

We went out to eat a while back at a Chinese place and I asked if they could bread chicken for my son with corn starch. They said no because it is contaminated with wheat. I just assumed that they were talking about their own personal supply, not corn starch as a whole.

Nicole