Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miles2go

Cool Vending Machine Story

So, it's Tuesday and I'm already hitting up the vending machine at work. I know, I know...

I get there and Vending Machine Guy is filling it up with goodies. I almost scared him to death when he didn't hear my first salutation and I just waited for him to finish up. So I said to him, "more gluten-free!" and he said, "oh really? my sister is gluten intolerant and has been for 8 years." It just made my day. He even let me look at the back of our local edition of Funyuns before I bought two packages of beef jerky off of him. It seems the more I talk about this, the more peeps are understanding what I'm talking about. Does anyone else have this experience, too?

I'm not shy anymore!!

(Not that I was born that way anyhoo.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, I went to a resturant on a work function. They had the side room and a bit buffet set up....usually buffets mean I cant eat. I saw a chef in the corner and he knew all about celiacs! Walked me through the buffet line, showed me what I could eat and not eat and went back to the kitchen to personally prepare some scallops for me, so I could try them! Very nice experience. I will go back for dinner with my husband soon.

"The only thing constant in life is change"

Celiac not confirmed, but positive results with diet change

Gluten free since 10/06

I went to Texas Roadhouse for my first night out since my gluten free diet and the manager came out to talk to me. His mom and aunt are celiac. To say the least my food was excellent and I felt great afterwards!

I will definitely return!

Tritty (my childhood nickname....)

Age 31, Mommy of 3

Blood test positive for celiac 1/16/07

gluten-free since 1/16/07

Endoscopy 2/13/07 - small hiatal hernia, scalloped mucosa in 1st and 2nd part of duodenum, some erosion of the esophogus.

Two oldest kids - fine so far :)

My 17 mo old has eosinophilic esophogitis. Only showing milk allergy? So completely off dairy for time being to see if that is trigger...

PeggyV and Tritty, I've had similar experiences in both those situations. Texas Roadhouse was the first time I was actually called a celiac, in fact and they were most accomodating with the manager coming out to speak to me personally. Talk about feeling "waited upon" from a former server. :) Another time I was at a food demonstration/seminar and the chef was very knowledgeable about celiac and was happy to talk to me about the dishes that she'd just prepared until I got bumped by another gluten-intolerant person who just usurped the conversation. It's all good. :D

I was leaving the grocery store the other day when a girl scout group asked me if I wanted to buy cookies. I told them I wished I could, but I could not eat wheat. One of the Moms said, "oh my sister-in-law is like that, she can't have gluten." I was so worried that they were going to think I was making it up, I was glad that someone new I wasn't!

- Lauren

I haven't been qiut so lucky. My favorite, is when my Pastor asked how I was (knowing I had problems). I told him I had celiac disease, and in answer to his puzzled expression, I said I can't have gluten. Still looking puzzled I told him I was allergic to wheat. He got a worried look and said......."as in pot?"

No, my pastors not an idiot, we were in a noisy area, and couldn't hear me very well, but it's a good example of what I'm getting. On the other hand, people seem truely interested in hearing what celiac disease is. And one of the local news stations ran a story on celiac disease last night. I was impressed.

Stomach problems began November of 2005

Gall bladder removed April 2006

Positive Blood test October 2006

Refused endoscope

Gluten-free since January 21, 2007

Positive reaction to diet

The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord. Job 1:21b

Both yesterday and today I went to cnn.com and there were articles on celiac! For the first time I felt like this was common and that people know about it. It was awesome. I, of course, emailed all my friends in excitement!

Yesterday it was a video on a mom and son who have celiac (sorry, don't know how to post video links).

Today it wasn't so much about celiac but about the boom in gluten-free food products: http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/02/news/compa...sion=2007020215

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

...He even let me look at the back of our local edition of Funyuns before I bought two packages of beef jerky off of him. ...

What brand of beef jerky was that? Most that I've seen here near DC are made with soy sauce and therefore (usually) with wheat.

Tim,

They're Jack Links http://www.linksnacks.com/ Steak (Beef?) Nuggets flavored with A-1 sauce. Sorry, I'm on the dino computer at home and the site is spazzing it out. They've got way too many ingredients to be good for you, but I tried a couple of them today and they're not bad for times when I'm not completely prepared. Any day that I can get protein from a vending machine is a good day! Tarnalberry told me about Oberto jerky, which is supposed to be okay, too. I haven't bought any yet and I've never seen them in vending machines. Come to think of it, I've never seen jerky in a vending machine. Somebody please tell me if I've overlooked something...so far, so good.

Margaret

They've got way too many ingredients to be good for you,

I was eating over at my brother's house and I asked to see the package the meat came in. He said "I checked it, it's fine" I said "Are you sure? It can be tricky" He said "Yeah, the only things listed are completely chemical, it's fine for you"

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

I actually know someone that has Celiac Disease! I help the younger Sunday School class out and the teacher for it started described her symptoms to me. I told her about Celiac. Eventually, she went and got the tests done and wham---She has Celiac! I just thought that was cool to affect someone like that.

-Ash

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

It is really great when someone know what you're talking about. I usually say I have an allergy to wheat and every now and then someone say, "Oh you mean gluten?" On the other end of the spectrum is when I say I can't have wheat to a waitperson and they don't get that flour is made from wheat, and then my salad comes without croutons but with a giant hot breadstick laying across it :huh: