This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Found Out Two Weeks Ago That I Have Celiac

LadyBoss

Jenny1972 Rookie

So sorry to hear you are so sick. i am in a similar situation. I was told 2 months ago I have celiacs. I have a history of eating disorders which I finally conquered about 5 years ago so now to be told there are certain food I can't eat has been really tough. My son was diagnosed with Epilepsy 3 years ago and I have been sick for the last year. I am a single parent with no family near by. Its really hard work but there is light at the end of the tunnel. My son keeps me going. They are a true blessing. I am not sure what I would do without him. I found this site a few weeks ago and it is a great support. Its hard for other people to understand what we are going through. The only thing I would suggest is to see a dietician. It sounds like you need a big dose of vitamins. The first week I ate rice and veg. I know you said you don't like veg but there not all bad. Put loads of gluten free gravy on them and they are OK. Or just rice and chicken. As far as the kids go my son ate pizza all week until I had sorted out my menu and how to incorporate his meals into it. Not ideal but with no help or support we have to do our best.

I really hope you get some help soon.

Take Care

Jenny

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Abug Rookie
Every time I try to go low-carb, not only am I hungry all the time, but I shake all over. My blood sugar gets low. How do you fix this?

I have been diagnosed with Chronic Hypoglycemia too (ages before I ever heard of Celiac Disease), and that sounds familiar. I was told most people who have this don't know about it. It's been my experience that (if this is your case) you need your carbs to provide energy to operate your metabolism. My sister's advice to me has been to exercise to burn the energy I eat. (She's a dietician.) I've had limited success with this, but I tend to not exercise on rainy days because I'm afraid of making too much noise in my apartment. I'm in the process of moving to a new house in the country so I don't feel afraid I'm making too much noise for my neighbours (though they don't return the courtesy). This will also provide me with regular opportunities to sleep!

I'm sure this is unrelated to Celiac Disease.

Anyway.. you don't need to eat a whole bunch, just something with sugar to get your glucose up, then something with starch to hold it there, preventing an unpleasant traumatic sudden drop in blood glucose that could lead to a massive headache (or in worse cases, unconsciousness). Eating the starch first can prevent your BG from rising in time. And don't skip or limit your next meal :D

Pleasant wishes!

NoGluGirl Contributor
I have been diagnosed with Chronic Hypoglycemia too (ages before I ever heard of Celiac Disease), and that sounds familiar. I was told most people who have this don't know about it. It's been my experience that (if this is your case) you need your carbs to provide energy to operate your metabolism. My sister's advice to me has been to exercise to burn the energy I eat. (She's a dietician.) I've had limited success with this, but I tend to not exercise on rainy days because I'm afraid of making too much noise in my apartment. I'm in the process of moving to a new house in the country so I don't feel afraid I'm making too much noise for my neighbours (though they don't return the courtesy). This will also provide me with regular opportunities to sleep!

I'm sure this is unrelated to Celiac Disease.

Anyway.. you don't need to eat a whole bunch, just something with sugar to get your glucose up, then something with starch to hold it there, preventing an unpleasant traumatic sudden drop in blood glucose that could lead to a massive headache (or in worse cases, unconsciousness). Eating the starch first can prevent your BG from rising in time. And don't skip or limit your next meal :D

Pleasant wishes!

Dear Abug,

My doctor told me that most hypoglycemics end up with diabetes later. That is due to the fact we tend to eat candy bars and things to keep our blood sugar up, but then it makes us overweight, eventually reversing it. It is just, I have tried other things that did not help. As you said, sugar keeping it up is the only thing that helps.

I realized my sleeping was hindered by it as well. I discovered my blood sugar must have been getting low while I tried to sleep. I would wake up hot and sweaty and my heart pounded. I began eating a combination of meat and a potato or something to even it out. That helped a lot. Still, in the daytime, I need to be sure not to go more than 4 hours without eating, due to my glucose levels dropping. I exercise regularly, too. Thanks for your input. Pleasant wishes to you too!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Abug Rookie
Dear Abug,

My doctor told me that most hypoglycemics end up with diabetes later. That is due to the fact we tend to eat candy bars and things to keep our blood sugar up, but then it makes us overweight, eventually reversing it. It is just, I have tried other things that did not help. As you said, sugar keeping it up is the only thing that helps.

I realized my sleeping was hindered by it as well. I discovered my blood sugar must have been getting low while I tried to sleep. I would wake up hot and sweaty and my heart pounded. I began eating a combination of meat and a potato or something to even it out. That helped a lot. Still, in the daytime, I need to be sure not to go more than 4 hours without eating, due to my glucose levels dropping. I exercise regularly, too. Thanks for your input. Pleasant wishes to you too!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

:D Yay, I'm not the only one! 4 hours is the magic number for me as well! I share a condition with my Aunt (I guess it's kind of a genetic defect) where my pancreas is folded or something, and one side is producing the insulin when it's supposed to while the other side is off, and when it's not supposed to, that side is on when the right side is off. I don't think I'm making any sense, but at any rate, as I recall from the way I understood it when I was told many years ago (I was a teenager at the time), my pancreas could burn itself out producing insulin all the time, then I'd suddenly become diabetic. However, my aunt has lived her whole life with this condition so far and has yet to develop diabetes, so there's hope! My mother is diabetic though, so I'm afraid I'm just gonna have to live with whatever happens since I can't really do anything about it. I wish you the best of luck finding your balance!

And I didn't mean to interrupt someone else's topic :unsure: (I just think these faces are cute)

Archived