Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joanne11

Posative Blood Test, Negative Biopsy

Is there anyone else who has had a posative bloos test IgG/IgA and negative biopsy? If you read this could you let me know what you did? More tests/Enterolab/gluten free diet

Thanks!

Positive blood work

Negative biopsy

Positive dietary response

Gluten free since March 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

A positive blood test is a clear indication of Celiac. A biopsy can be patchy and may not be conclusive.

Welcome to the Club.!

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

You'll get a lot of mixed answers to this question.

Which IgA/IgG's were positive? If they were the antigliadin antibodies - many will say that they are useless. However, since they are used to monitor compliance with the gluten-free diet, knowing the levels prior to going gluten-free is quite important.

Was it recommended that you have endoscopy with biopsy?

I know a lot of people put their trust in Enterolabs - but I just find the cost to be unjustifiable. Trying a gluten free diet didn't cost me much, and when I saw the results, I know I should be eating this way regardless of what the test results were.

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

You'll get a lot of mixed answers to this question.

Which IgA/IgG's were positive? If they were the antigliadin antibodies - many will say that they are useless. However, since they are used to monitor compliance with the gluten-free diet, knowing the levels prior to going gluten-free is quite important.

Was it recommended that you have endoscopy with biopsy?

I know a lot of people put their trust in Enterolabs - but I just find the cost to be unjustifiable. Trying a gluten free diet didn't cost me much, and when I saw the results, I know I should be eating this way regardless of what the test results were.

Thank you both for your reply;

I had the EGD with the biopsy last year, the results were negative. I did send an email to enterolab with my test results and explained my symptoms and asked what other tests I could do. The women who emailed me back suggested that I did not need anyother tests because the IgG/IgA blood tests were posative and said that I did have a gluten intolerance and should remove it from my diet for the rest of my life. She said that since the blood test I had was posative there was no need to do the stool test because that would most likely come back posative as well. I guess the only other thing to do would be to get the genetic test, but I don't know if it is worth the money, like you said it does not cost anything to go gluten free. I am just not sure I can live without pasta!

Positive blood work

Negative biopsy

Positive dietary response

Gluten free since March 2007

You don't have to live without pasta!!

There are plenty delicious pastas that are made with rice and/or corn. Tinkyada specifically comes to mind - my children can't tell the difference between that and regular old wheat pasta. =)

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3