Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nikki2003

Overaeacting

My mother inlaw was talking with my husband and he is also convinced from her that alivia who is 7 years old may have a tapeworm. I think they are way over reacting. She eats ALOT cannot usually satisfy her she is still losing weight. She takes food at night up to her room and hides the evidence under her bed. She does this everynight and she is on a sleep aid becasue she doesn't sleep well atall. And her hunger wakes her up. I have even tried feeding her shortlt before bed,And it doesn't help. Any thoughts on what could be going on? She is on a gluten free diet for celiac.

I am clueless.

Thanks in advance

Nicole- 3 yrs old Positive Celiac Blood test- 6/21/2006 //// Normal result: <20,,,Nicole-80

Positive Biopsy for Celiac- 7/17/2006

Gluten-Free Since - 7/22/2006

Alivia- 7 years- old Positive Celiac blood test-Aug. 2006////Normal result:<4,,,Alivia-32.

Biopsy showed positive for Celiac Disease and moderate to severe damage (Blood Work for both girls were done in different labs that is why they are different)

Gluten free since:Dec.2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I see from your signature that she's been gluten-free since Dec. 06. It took me more time than that to slow down in my eating (I used to eat two or three times what my 6'2" hubby eats!!) and gain weight, and I didn't have any intestinal damage at all! Be sure all the gluten is out of her diet ... look for places it may be hiding ... hopefully, they will take their determination and help you be sure she's 100% gluten-free!!

BTW, hubby still calls me a Hobbit because I eat so often!!

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

uh, I hope she is kidding about the tapeworm, to get tapeworms she would have to eat a mouse, or bird....(they require a secondary host).

Yes, she may need more time for her intestine to heal, but if you have concerns, please contact her doctor and mention it.

What kinds of food do you feed before bed? Protein will help slow digestion and satisfy hunger over long term - so combining a protein + starch/ fruit /vege/yogurt/ may help.

Does she show any signs of lactose intolerance?

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

uh, I hope she is kidding about the tapeworm, to get tapeworms she would have to eat a mouse, or bird....(they require a secondary host).

You can get tapeworms by playing outdoors, eating undercooked meat or through being exposed to a human that has tapeworm (via infected feces on toilet seat and improper hygiene). It's really not that far-fetched....but not incredibly common either. http://www.vaxa.com/human-tapeworms.cfm. There are tests that can be run to rule this out.

I suppose that you could also have a blood check done to screen for elevated antibodies (in case she's accidentally getting gluten). Or you could look into other food intolerances like casein, soy and possibly egg. It's hard to gauge how "extreme" the eating habits are unless you physically write it down and begin to look at real caloric intake and the ratio of carbs, fats and proteins. Some combinations promote weight maintenance/weight loss while others promote weight gain.

With that said, I can tell you that my dd wasn't gaining weight due to a problem with casein and soy. And with casein...her sleep habits were atrocious. Within a few days of taking it out of diet, she was like a different child and her weight started to climb. She's still a peanut...but a peanut who is growing at a steady rate that is on the growth charts.

Vicky

It took me about 4 years to start not feeling hungry all the time and to actually start putting weight on. I could feel physically full but still have the hunger sensation.

It took me about 4 years to start not feeling hungry all the time and to actually start putting weight on. I could feel physically full but still have the hunger sensation.

-Laurie

thanks everyone. She and nicole have a follow up with the gi dr on the 19th to redo blood work. And they have another appt on the 21st for food allergy testing. Alivia's should be interesting because not always but often after she eats anything she breaks out in a rash.

celina

Nicole- 3 yrs old Positive Celiac Blood test- 6/21/2006 //// Normal result: <20,,,Nicole-80

Alivia- 7 years- old Positive Celiac blood test-Aug. 2006////Normal result:<4,,,Alivia-32.

Biopsy showed positive for Celiac Disease and moderate to severe damage (Blood Work for both girls were done in different labs that is why they are different)

Sorry ... but if she's hiding food then is she perhaps also cheating on her diet?

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

For the first year my after my son was diagnosed he was like an eating machine. We used to call it the feeding frenzy. He would go from one thing to the next. We thought he just liked junk so we limited him to healthy foods only (yogurt, fruit, etc.) but he ate that the same way. I think his body was just catching up. Now, 2 years after diagnosis, he eats normally but has gained a total of 15 pounds in the past 2 years and has grown 6 inches. I would say he has caught up.

Nicole

For the first year my after my son was diagnosed he was like an eating machine. We used to call it the feeding frenzy. He would go from one thing to the next. We thought he just liked junk so we limited him to healthy foods only (yogurt, fruit, etc.) but he ate that the same way. I think his body was just catching up. Now, 2 years after diagnosis, he eats normally but has gained a total of 15 pounds in the past 2 years and has grown 6 inches. I would say he has caught up.

Nicole

all the food she takes is gluten free because she takes snacks and hides them under her bed, I totally gutted her room the other day so is she hides something I will find it.

But she went to the ped the other day and she was 49.6 lbs from 54 in nov. he wants her to eat a boost or protein bar a day or 2 a day and he wants to see her in 6 weeks to see if she is gaining or atleast maintaining the weight.

Thanks for all the info.

celina

Has she been checked for diabetes? Increased appetite is one symptom of type 1 diabetes

Just a thought. Good luck!

ptkds

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.