Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyberprof

Why Sudden Gall Bladder Pain?

Hi everyone, I hope you can help.

I went off gluten on 2/15/07. Am avoiding dairy (except yogurt and a little cheese). Trying to eat well, low-fat.

Had 3-4 Lundberg soy chips this week on Tuesday, had a reaction to them (CC? Or just a reaction to soy? Not sure. Label said gluten-free).

Wednesday afternoon and evening had bad stomach pain, but not glutening type pain. I had an Amy's gluten free mac&Cheese for lunch and it had 15 grams of fat. (It was all I could find to eat that day.)

Wednesday night and Thursday morning in tremendous pain that is from, I think, my gallbladder. I've never had gall bladder pain before.

Do you think it's from the Lundberg chips or the fat in the mac&cheese? I was in such pain today, I haven't eaten and I'm so worried because I don't want to have to have my gall bladder out or miss work. I just started a new job so that is a complication. Since I haven't eaten the pain is down from an 8 on a 1-10 scale to about a 2.

I thought at least after giving up gluten I'd feel better (and I have, mostly) but this has really upset me.

Thanks in advance.

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi everyone, I hope you can help.

I went off gluten on 2/15/07. Am avoiding dairy (except yogurt and a little cheese). Trying to eat well, low-fat.

Had 3-4 Lundberg soy chips this week on Tuesday, had a reaction to them (CC? Or just a reaction to soy? Not sure. Label said gluten-free).

Wednesday afternoon and evening had bad stomach pain, but not glutening type pain. I had an Amy's gluten free mac&Cheese for lunch and it had 15 grams of fat. (It was all I could find to eat that day.)

Wednesday night and Thursday morning in tremendous pain that is from, I think, my gallbladder. I've never had gall bladder pain before.

Do you think it's from the Lundberg chips or the fat in the mac&cheese? I was in such pain today, I haven't eaten and I'm so worried because I don't want to have to have my gall bladder out or miss work. I just started a new job so that is a complication. Since I haven't eaten the pain is down from an 8 on a 1-10 scale to about a 2.

I thought at least after giving up gluten I'd feel better (and I have, mostly) but this has really upset me.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Not much time so please excuse this being brief. Many of us avoid the Amy's products because of a high risk of crosscontamination. Eating them is like playing roulette. If you can try to stick to natural unprocessed foods as much as you can in your initial healing stages. I hope you get some relief soon, when I get this type of pain pepto bismal is the only thing that really helps, and it helps within an hour.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Just an added note here, I too feel this way, Wednesday night and Thursday morning in tremendous pain that is from, I think, my gallbladder when I eat soy products. Severe cramping and for me, it can last for days, or even come and go for weeks, so I never eat soy products, although I can handle soy lecithin, which many soy intolerant people can.

Some celiac's do have gall bladder problems too. My sister had to have her gall bladder removed after going gluten-free. If the pain continues, you should see your doctor just to rule out any problems.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Just an added note here, I too feel this way, Wednesday night and Thursday morning in tremendous pain that is from, I think, my gallbladder when I eat soy products. Severe cramping and for me, it can last for days, or even come and go for weeks, so I never eat soy products, although I can handle soy lecithin, which many soy intolerant people can.

Some celiac's do have gall bladder problems too. My sister had to have her gall bladder removed after going gluten-free. If the pain continues, you should see your doctor just to rule out any problems.

OK, so I should avoid Amy's and soy. I am going to eat really natural foods and low-fat. My pain is much more of just a small ache today, hopefully going away for good.

I was sure that this was related to celiac, but not sure how.

Thanks.

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

I don't have any answers for you, but I thought I'd mention that at times, sporadically, I will also get these horrible pains, burning, just awful...and it has no real rhyme or reason although I am instinctively wary of eating a lot of things like chips (the fried aspect of them??), and I believe it has also been triggered by eating too much volume wise. I do best with small meals. But there is no one food that I could say "every time I eat this I have the pain." It's not like that....it's different foods at different times. I have also wondered if it could be related to my gall bladder....I don't know how you figure this out. I've read that the gall bladder is an organ that is often affected by gluten/celiac, and with that knowledge, I'm trying to be careful with everything.

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.