Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marciab

Survey On Gliadin Iga And Igg Prior And Post gluten-free

I posted this on the Braintalk forum, but thought I would check with this group too.

I'm trying to see if antibody levels provide valid scientific data .... I have seen many people that have gotten better after getting the gluten out of their diets despite "normal" results. We know EGD's can be innacurate, but I thought it would be interesting to look at antibody levels.

Could you please post yours prior and post gluten-free and your symptoms prior and post ?

If you had intermediate testing done, please list that data too.

And if you have not seen any improvement could you please post your numbers too ...

as of February 28, 2007, mine are :

Prior to gluten-free - No data

Post gluten-free - IgA <3, IgG 8 (<11 neg, 11-17 eq, > 17 pos)

After 18 months

EGD - inconclusive after 18 months gluten-free

Symptoms prior - CFIDS/FM (ataxia , myoclonus, fatigue, brain fog, cognitive / memory problems, IBS, GERD, orthostatic hypotension, winded easily, swollen lymph nodes, hyperactivity, adrenaline surges, post exertional fatigue)

Symptoms now - CFIDS/FM (fatigue, cognitive / memory problems, swollen lymph nodes, post exertional fatigue) (myoclonus, IBS return if I accidently eat minute amt of gluten)

FYI: ataxia - balance / walking problems and myoclonus - involuntary jerking / seizures.

Thanks ... Marcia

ps. I wanted to add that I elimated dairy, soy, eggs, corn and chemicals at the same time, so my progress can not be attributed to gluten-free only.

Also, if you have any other ideas on things to look for please feel free to add. I'm new to all this still.

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can't go into anywhere near as much detail as you have.

But, due to a variety of reasons, I had testing done 2 weeks apart.

The first set of tests was done pre-gluten free. My IgG levels were 69. (all other levels on the high side of normal range)

After 2 weeks of being gluten free, they'd dropped down into the 40's.

(all other levels were in the middle of normal range)

I haven't had any testing done since then - but I thought I'd mention it. =)

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

Jayhawkmom,

Wow. A 20 point drop after only 2 weeks is impressive. Are your numbers (69) extremely high or is that the norm ? Can you tell me what the reference range for your test was ?

Has anyone had low IgG or IgA and still had their problems resolve with gluten-free diet ? Is it possible the numbers used for detecting celiac are too high to detect gluten intolerance ? Or are these numbers totally random ? I know food allergy tests are incorrect, are these too ?

I have a friend who is trying to figure out why his wife still has ataxia after 2 years gluten-free. We are looking for a correlation between my IgG and hers.

Thanks .. Marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.