Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

es2443

Delayed Symptoms

I'm just wondering if anyone else has delayed symptoms after eating gluten. Last week I was REALLY bad and cheated on my gluten-free diet by eating cake at college. I was stressed, had no more work, and felt like celebrating spring break. The problem was I felt fine initially, so the next night when my friends were eating my favorite cake I decided to join them and this continued for the rest of the week. I continued eating poorly until this monday and by then I felt a little bloated but nothing to complain about. I was fine for the next few days, but yesterday I had my constant bloating and headache back again and I still have it today. I am also really tired and have been sleeping poorly. I'm assuming my symptoms are from gluten. Just wondering if any of you experience the same delay in symptoms.

-Erin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm just wondering if anyone else has delayed symptoms after eating gluten. Last week I was REALLY bad and cheated on my gluten-free diet by eating cake at college. I was stressed, had no more work, and felt like celebrating spring break. The problem was I felt fine initially, so the next night when my friends were eating my favorite cake I decided to join them and this continued for the rest of the week. I continued eating poorly until this monday and by then I felt a little bloated but nothing to complain about. I was fine for the next few days, but yesterday I had my constant bloating and headache back again and I still have it today. I am also really tired and have been sleeping poorly. I'm assuming my symptoms are from gluten. Just wondering if any of you experience the same delay in symptoms.

-Erin

Dear es2443,

I have a delayed reaction. Mine is not as long as yours. Usually, within 12 hours of eating gluten I know. I get violently ill, so I am not even slightly tempted to cheat. I miss a lot of foods I used to eat, but have to say, it is worth not doing. I get nauseous, break out in a sweat, get diarrhea, start shaking all over, and sometimes my hands go numb, and if I am lucky and catch it early, I can down a promethazine before the dry heaves hit. Get off of that stuff! Gluten is poison.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

I thought I had delayed symptoms but I have now realised that my symtoms are changing.

The stomach noises and bloating creep up on me over a day or 2 instead of immediately but I become constipated from the day that I eat gluten instead of having the big D. The nausea takes a while to hit now too and I get really congested as though I have a cold coming on. No wonder this disease is so difficult to diagnose if the symptoms can vary so much in one person.

I ate gluten last week too, my problem is that I

Diagnosed as an infant failing to thrive 40 years ago. Followed diet for 17 years more or less then quit. 20 odd years later after constant illnesses and reading this forum gone back to gluten-free with my tail between my legs.

-Erin

those are definately gluten symtoms. I get the same symptoms, but usually 24 hours after I eat gluten. I am glad to know I am not the only one who cheats. it's hard. : (

I usually know within 12 to 36 hours, and by then, I'm so bloated, I can barely breathe! Fortunately for me, I've been gluten-free for so many years, I've learned to think of gluten foods the same way I think of .. not sure I can think of an adequate analogy, but you know some cultures eat some pretty strange things that most western cultures wouldn't dream of eating. I'd sooner chug down a mug of molten lava than even try to recall the taste of wheat foods.

Woops, I just recalled it .. let me go back on that one, lol! Nuts! Now I have to tell the story:

(I'll try to be brief.)

Back when I was nearing the end of my "I wonder what's wrong with me" phase, my doctor had me on a wheat-free diet because of certain allergies that had already been discovered. He then told me to eat like "normal people" for a couple of weeks (seemed like six weeks .. maybe it was six weeks .. whatever). He wanted to test something, I don't remember what. In hindsight, I should have left him right then, but I was young and stupid, and I did as I was told. I didn't know at the time that it could have killed me. I went out and bought Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Domino's Pizza .. and it all tasted exactly what I would imagine the lawn would taste like. I'd already been wheat-free long enough to become accustomed to it not being in everything (or anything for that matter) I ate. It still smells like a lawn mower bag to me even now.

Sick as a dog, I went ahead and went thru with his "final test," though I had already decided whatever the results, I would never eat wheat again. As it turned out, I had to add barley, rye, oats, and a host of labelling variations to my list, but I learned my lesson, and will never eat another morsel unless I'm sure of what's in it, and it's not on my list (which includes a number of food allergies, some of which are not on the top 8 most common list).

My dad still thinks I'm on some sort of fad diet, and I'm just being stubborn, hehe!

(I think the test must have been a biopsy, because I seem to remember it requiring special preparation due to my hypoglycemia objecting to what I would call fasting. Yeah, he told me, "I wanna see pink walls!")