This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Delayed Symptoms

es2443

es2443 Contributor

I'm just wondering if anyone else has delayed symptoms after eating gluten. Last week I was REALLY bad and cheated on my gluten-free diet by eating cake at college. I was stressed, had no more work, and felt like celebrating spring break. The problem was I felt fine initially, so the next night when my friends were eating my favorite cake I decided to join them and this continued for the rest of the week. I continued eating poorly until this monday and by then I felt a little bloated but nothing to complain about. I was fine for the next few days, but yesterday I had my constant bloating and headache back again and I still have it today. I am also really tired and have been sleeping poorly. I'm assuming my symptoms are from gluten. Just wondering if any of you experience the same delay in symptoms.

-Erin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGluGirl Contributor
I'm just wondering if anyone else has delayed symptoms after eating gluten. Last week I was REALLY bad and cheated on my gluten-free diet by eating cake at college. I was stressed, had no more work, and felt like celebrating spring break. The problem was I felt fine initially, so the next night when my friends were eating my favorite cake I decided to join them and this continued for the rest of the week. I continued eating poorly until this monday and by then I felt a little bloated but nothing to complain about. I was fine for the next few days, but yesterday I had my constant bloating and headache back again and I still have it today. I am also really tired and have been sleeping poorly. I'm assuming my symptoms are from gluten. Just wondering if any of you experience the same delay in symptoms.

-Erin

Dear es2443,

I have a delayed reaction. Mine is not as long as yours. Usually, within 12 hours of eating gluten I know. I get violently ill, so I am not even slightly tempted to cheat. I miss a lot of foods I used to eat, but have to say, it is worth not doing. I get nauseous, break out in a sweat, get diarrhea, start shaking all over, and sometimes my hands go numb, and if I am lucky and catch it early, I can down a promethazine before the dry heaves hit. Get off of that stuff! Gluten is poison.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Debbie65 Apprentice

I thought I had delayed symptoms but I have now realised that my symtoms are changing.

The stomach noises and bloating creep up on me over a day or 2 instead of immediately but I become constipated from the day that I eat gluten instead of having the big D. The nausea takes a while to hit now too and I get really congested as though I have a cold coming on. No wonder this disease is so difficult to diagnose if the symptoms can vary so much in one person.

I ate gluten last week too, my problem is that I

jlynn Rookie

-Erin

those are definately gluten symtoms. I get the same symptoms, but usually 24 hours after I eat gluten. I am glad to know I am not the only one who cheats. it's hard. : (

Abug Rookie

I usually know within 12 to 36 hours, and by then, I'm so bloated, I can barely breathe! Fortunately for me, I've been gluten-free for so many years, I've learned to think of gluten foods the same way I think of .. not sure I can think of an adequate analogy, but you know some cultures eat some pretty strange things that most western cultures wouldn't dream of eating. I'd sooner chug down a mug of molten lava than even try to recall the taste of wheat foods.

Woops, I just recalled it .. let me go back on that one, lol! Nuts! Now I have to tell the story:

(I'll try to be brief.)

Back when I was nearing the end of my "I wonder what's wrong with me" phase, my doctor had me on a wheat-free diet because of certain allergies that had already been discovered. He then told me to eat like "normal people" for a couple of weeks (seemed like six weeks .. maybe it was six weeks .. whatever). He wanted to test something, I don't remember what. In hindsight, I should have left him right then, but I was young and stupid, and I did as I was told. I didn't know at the time that it could have killed me. I went out and bought Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Domino's Pizza .. and it all tasted exactly what I would imagine the lawn would taste like. I'd already been wheat-free long enough to become accustomed to it not being in everything (or anything for that matter) I ate. It still smells like a lawn mower bag to me even now.

Sick as a dog, I went ahead and went thru with his "final test," though I had already decided whatever the results, I would never eat wheat again. As it turned out, I had to add barley, rye, oats, and a host of labelling variations to my list, but I learned my lesson, and will never eat another morsel unless I'm sure of what's in it, and it's not on my list (which includes a number of food allergies, some of which are not on the top 8 most common list).

My dad still thinks I'm on some sort of fad diet, and I'm just being stubborn, hehe!

(I think the test must have been a biopsy, because I seem to remember it requiring special preparation due to my hypoglycemia objecting to what I would call fasting. Yeah, he told me, "I wanna see pink walls!")

Archived