This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Fast Please!

Yenni

Yenni Enthusiast

I was put on birth control pills the other day. I have taken two and felt crap. I looked them up here and saw that they were Gluten free but I missed the fact that they have lactose in them. I have felt really bad on the two pills I took so I need to get new ones tonight!

Does anyone know of a gluten free, casein free and legume/soy free birth control pill?????

I need to go to one of the late night open doctors officec to get another kind (I am on Yasmin now).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast

Nobody...? :blink: I know it was a long shot, but I wanted to try.

We have called a bunch of places; pharmacies, nurses and nobody knows anything about Celiac or anything about safe BCP's. The reason I really wanted it tonight is that I have had a veeeeeery long period now (doctors giving BCPs, then asking me to get off them, then on them again.)...so I wanted to NOT get a period for the third time in 3 weeks... :(

Canadian Karen Community Regular
I was put on birth control pills the other day. I have taken two and felt crap. I looked them up here and saw that they were Gluten free but I missed the fact that they have lactose in them. I have felt really bad on the two pills I took so I need to get new ones tonight!

Does anyone know of a gluten free, casein free and legume/soy free birth control pill?????

I need to go to one of the late night open doctors officec to get another kind (I am on Yasmin now).

The only thing I could think of that will help you is this:

Open Original Shared Link

You might be able to find something on there re birth control. I don't have to worry about that stuff. After my children, I made sure I was sliced, diced, sautered and anything else they could do!

Karen

You might be able to find something on there re birth control. I don't have to worry about that stuff. After my children, I made sure I was sliced, diced, sautered and anything else they could do!

Karen

Under oral contraceptives on that list, it lists Yasmin as gluten free....

Viola 1 Rookie

Karen

:lol: The laugh for the day, thank you Karen :lol:

Yenni Enthusiast
Under oral contraceptives on that list, it lists Yasmin as gluten free....

Yes, I saw that, but my problem here is that I am casein intolerant and it contains lactose.

I have two lists with gluten free drugs but I can't find out if they also are free of lactose and soy. I heard that soy is pretty uncommon but I have seen several BCP with lactose.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, this isn't a subject I can truly address, except that there's always a reason why the body doesn't do as it is supposed to. A drug seems like "let's create another imbalance". Like putting lotion on dry skin; the skin isn't supposed to dry out in the first place. Find the cause, and solve the problem, not cover it over.

I know that may not help you, but I just hate drugs...

I'd bet there are herbal supplements for this kind of thing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I don't know that I"d trust an herbal supplement for such an important decision!! If you can't tolerate the pill, what about NuvaRing, and IUD or other device?

Tritty Rookie

It may take awhile, but if you see a few different types of pills under the gluten free list - go to each website and check out the ingredients for yourself. They are usually listed under doctor information.

Part of the problem might be that you aren't absorbing your pill. It gets absorbed in the small intestine. My last pill had gluten in it (before I knew I was celiac) and that's how I got kid #3 :) But that's what could be causing all of the excess bleeding. You might be better off being off it for 2 or 3 months and letting your body figure itself out. Then getting on one that is completely free of what you can't have...

Good Luck :)

Google up the Mirena IUD - it's worked miracles for me! It's new on the market and has been highly successful not only for birth control, but to get women's periods under control, to the point that they disappear! YIPPEEEEEE! No more painful heavy periods!!!!! Apparently, it emitts some low level hormone into the wall of the uterus that reduces, and in alot of cases, eliminates periods.....

Yenni Enthusiast

As far as I know you can't use a IUD if you haven't been pregnant already? At least that is the policy in Sweden (where I am from). They only put it in on women that has carried a child. Those things actually freak me out some. I know of 2 peopel that bled so much on those things that they had to go to the ER and one is now pregnant even if she used one.

I am not on the pill to not get pregnant. I am not fond of eating "unnatural" stuff eitrher, but I have to eat them for medical reasons. I just started the pill last week and have not been on them for 10 years before that so I haven't been on them really.

I am beeding and spotting because of a lack of hormon that doesn't make my body let go of the eggs, so they collect in there and also I have gotten a painful fibroid. My period has been absolutely crazy this year but has been bad for the last 3. I need some help to fix this, so I need to go on the hormones. I have had an ultrasound and been to the doctor several times so they know what is happening.

I am gonna call the pharmacy today again and hopefully they will be able to help me find a gluten-free, CF and SF pill. I took the pill yesterday anyways, because I didn't want my system to get even more messed up, but I know it wasn't good to take it because of the lactose in them. :( I feel terrible. Hopefully I'll get a new pill today. Keep your fingers crossed.

WE did start going through the pills on the gluten-free list, but surpricingly many of them didn't have the inactive ingredients listed. I think we might have found one. It is surpricing how many they use that Lactose mono...in them. It is supposed to be cleaned of the casein, but a Swedish celiac site warned that it a lot of the time has some traces left of the casein and sensitive individuals was recommended to avoid it. I seem to be very sensitive. :blink:

Thanks for your answers!

debmidge Rising Star

My suggestion is to call the manufacturer on Monday and ask if there really is dairy in it or is it just a lactose ingredient? The lactose may be dairy free source. That's if you can wait until Monday. Latcose is just a milk sugar and may or may not contain casein.

Yenni Enthusiast

It looks like Demulen is gluten, soy and casein/lactose free. I thought I'd post it if anyone else ever end up with this problem. It does contain corn.

BUT, the placebo contains lactose, but has no active ingredients so could just get tossed. So the active ingredient pills are free.

Yenni Enthusiast

It has been crazy to get to the proper mediacation. We called so many places and nobody wanted to help or knew anything.

Today I finally got a hold of someone at the OBG office that could prescribe the Demulen for me and when I go to the pharmacy they give me the generic one instead (and that isn't Lactose Mono... free). My record there at the pharmacy says I am intolerant to Gluten, Diary and Soy and I guess they didn't bother to check. I askes to talk to the pharmacist and he told me they have no way of checking the medication for inactive ingredients (that must have been a lie or he was lazy????).

I ended up talking them into giving me the non-generic one (which is Demulen, the generic one is Zovia). I took it now and my stomach seems to be less unhappy about it, so that is good. Otherwise my stomach is very upset with me after 4 days of Dairy. Crazy that I react on such small amounts.

It is scary how they do not check, clamin they can't check or don't care.. I dunno. I think it is very bad anyways.

Now I need to get some more Caraphate to get my stomach back on track again too. But that isn't a biggy.

Well, I just wanted to let anyone know who might be curious how it worked out.

Here is the link to the ingredients to the Demulen if anyone is interested. Only possibly bad thing in the active pills is corn, the non-active ones have Lactose Monohydrate as I mentioned in my earlier post, so I am skipping them.

jerseyangel Proficient

Jenny,

I'm glad you found one that you can tolerate. :)

Hope your stomach settles down soon!

sherylj Rookie

aka Jenny:

I have no good answer for you but when I went on BC I was taking it in the morning and felt sooooooo sick...My RN friend suggested I take it in the evening just before going to sleep. It worked for me! I made the adjustment to a new drug in my system without going through the pain. This may not help you in least as you may have already been taking them at night. Ps. I take all my other night-time drugs earlier in the evening to let my stomach settle before bed or I have reflux :(

I hate managing meds "sigh" :blink:

Yenni Enthusiast
aka Jenny:

I have no good answer for you but when I went on BC I was taking it in the morning and felt sooooooo sick...My RN friend suggested I take it in the evening just before going to sleep. It worked for me! I made the adjustment to a new drug in my system without going through the pain. This may not help you in least as you may have already been taking them at night. Ps. I take all my other night-time drugs earlier in the evening to let my stomach settle before bed or I have reflux :(

I hate managing meds "sigh" :blink:

I have been taking mine at night and with food. I felt so sick, but I am pretty sure it is from the Lactose Monohydate in them. I took the Dairy free one today during the middle of the day and felt nothing. I have to take two today because I took none yesterday so I am taking the other one tonight. I am gonna keep taking them at night and with food like that.

Thanks though. ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean about managing meds. I take Protonix too and have to take it twice a day 30 min before I eat. But things could be worse. Before I started with these dairy containing BCP I had no heartburn at all and had started to take only one instead of two. Now my stomach is hating me so I have some healing to do here and then hopefully I will get back in better shape again.

I am also very happy that now I have stopped bleeding after like 3 weeks of constant bleeding.

• 2 weeks later...
Yenni Enthusiast

Well, I had to go off the BCP's. The midwife never mentioned or asked anything about migraines when she gave me the pills and I had no idea that if you have migraines with Aura one isn't supposed to be on BCP's at all. At least not the combination ones with estrogen. I ended up getting much more migraines and had 4 (!!) last weekend. My husband read about Aura migraines and BCP online and everywhere it said that if you have aura or any neurological symptoms with your migraine you shouldn't be on them at all and if you are stop at once. So I stopped. No attacks so far.

I am going back to the OBGYN office on friday. See the doctor this time. I have no idea how they are gonna solve this problem now. I might be able to eat the POP pills (Progesterone only pills). THing is most of them seem to have Lactose Monohydrate in them...so I dunno.

I am disapointed with the midwife. First she made me sick as a dog for a week not listening to that I can't have dairy (my pills had Lactose monohydrate in them) and then I got bunch of migraine attacks in a short time. Is it too much to ask that I shouln't need to know everything about a medication when they give it to me? I mean I feel I have to be a doctor to protect myself. It is such and easy thing for them to ask a few questions about medical history before they give BCP.

Not happy. At least I have learnt that I can't trust doctors not to make me sick with pills anymore. Not many doctors I trust at all these days.

Just needed to vent.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Pharma grade lactose will not have casein in it, so if you are both casein and lactose intolerant, you will likely find that taking lactase (over the counter enzyme that replaces what's missing in lactose intolerant people) will resolve the issue. Lactose intolerance does not cause damage like gluten intolerance can; they are of a totally different nature.

Of course, having found a lactose free option is fabulous as well! :) No reason to switch back if it works for you.

Yenni Enthusiast
Pharma grade lactose will not have casein in it, so if you are both casein and lactose intolerant, you will likely find that taking lactase (over the counter enzyme that replaces what's missing in lactose intolerant people) will resolve the issue. Lactose intolerance does not cause damage like gluten intolerance can; they are of a totally different nature.

Of course, having found a lactose free option is fabulous as well! :) No reason to switch back if it works for you.

I had to go off the lactose free ones too because of Migraines with Aura. If you have them in your medical history you aren't supposed to eat BCP (might work with POP). My migraines got much worse on top of things.

I did some reaserch online about Lactose Monohydrate. When they make it they remove the Casein but usually traces are left in it and the Swedish Celiac organization (I am swedish) recommends that people that are sensitive stay away from it. I am very sensitive and got very strong symtoms (like when I eat Casein or gluten) when I ate the pills with LM in it. As soon as I was given BCP without LM the symptoms got better and disappered after about a week (took time to heal).

I also read they can rarely guarantee that all the casein is gone.

"Purified lactose, even of pharmaceutical grades, still contains traces of proteinaceous matter."

I have read this same thing on several different pages.

Also it seems doctors have different views on if Casein damages like gluten does. Dr Fine claimes it does. I dunno. All I know is my stomach hurt really bad, felt like it got inflammed, I got nasty heart burn, nausea and my stomach hated everything I ate. Just like with gluten.

Jestgar Rising Star

Jenny, if you're still in Alaska you can get an IUD without having been pregnant. Google Mirena, it really has helped a lot of women.

Yenni Enthusiast
Jenny, if you're still in Alaska you can get an IUD without having been pregnant. Google Mirena, it really has helped a lot of women.

Not sure a IUD would help me. I am not doing all of this because I don't want to get pregnant, it's because of hormonal problems. My eggs don

Jestgar Rising Star

The mirena releases progesterone. It would be a less systemic way of getting progesterone than the mini pills. It's used to treat abnormal menstrual bleeding.

Yenni Enthusiast
The mirena releases progesterone. It would be a less systemic way of getting progesterone than the mini pills. It's used to treat abnormal menstrual bleeding.

Oh okay. When I looked at it here it said hormone free. I must have missed that they can come with Progesterone too.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I am going back to the doctor tomorrow. We'll see what happens then.

miles2go Contributor
Oh okay. When I looked at it here it said hormone free. I must have missed that they can come with Progesterone too.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I am going back to the doctor tomorrow. We'll see what happens then.

If you're done with the kid-bearing years, endometrial ablation might be an option, too.

Archived