This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stomach Flu?

Mtndog

Mtndog Collaborator

I've had viral gastroenteritis now for about 10 days. I got glutened back at the end of Jan. and was FINALLY recovering from it when I got this (so basically- I've felt hideous for the last 6 weeks :angry: ).

I'm just eating rice and chicken soup (tried to add some veggies last night- BAD idea). I'm wondering if anyone else has had it this winter and did it take you longer to recover?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGluGirl Contributor
I've had viral gastroenteritis now for about 10 days. I got glutened back at the end of Jan. and was FINALLY recovering from it when I got this (so basically- I've felt hideous for the last 6 weeks :angry: ).

I'm just eating rice and chicken soup (tried to add some veggies last night- BAD idea). I'm wondering if anyone else has had it this winter and did it take you longer to recover?

Dear Mtndog,

I think it does take us longer to recover. I always have had difficulty recovering from stomach bugs. Since I was young, it usually takes me a month to completely get rid of it. I had that virus back in October. I did not recover for a while. Finally, when I began recovering from that, I did a course of antibiotics that made me ill for another two weeks. It really sucked.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I know it takes me longer to recover, besides the fact it is difficult to know if it's the flu or being glutened. I have found that I do not pick up as many bugs now that I am gluten free, which is a wonderful thing.

Mtndog Collaborator

Thanks ladies- I am getting quite frustrated. I seem to always get it in March, when I'm on vacation!

NoGluGirl Contributor
Thanks ladies- I am getting quite frustrated. I seem to always get it in March, when I'm on vacation!

Dear Mtndog,

Hopefully you will feel better soon! One thing is for sure, there is no good time for the stomach flu! If I could go my entire life without one communicable disease, that is the one I would pick!

I can handle colds, but not that! My system is too frail!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Mtndog Collaborator
Dear Mtndog,

Hopefully you will feel better soon! One thing is for sure, there is no good time for the stomach flu! If I could go my entire life without one communicable disease, that is the one I would pick!

I can handle colds, but not that! My system is too frail!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

thanks so much- I think I would have to agree.

mellajane Explorer

I agree yes I think it does take us longer. I seriously have avoided people with the flu at work like crazy. They do not realize once I get sick I stay sick for a while. My symptoms from wheat are throwing up for days and sweats as is. For some reason anything that makes me sick end in a bad result that last longer than it should.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Abug Rookie

I have had a lot of that sort of trouble this past month or two, then went to the doctor and discovered I'd been eating the wrong brand of peanut butter, and it had been tainted with salmonella. Took me nearly 2 weeks to almost feel normal after that. I still don't feel right, but I attribute it to being nervous about buying my new house. :(

I hope you feel better soon!

Mtndog Collaborator
I have had a lot of that sort of trouble this past month or two, then went to the doctor and discovered I'd been eating the wrong brand of peanut butter, and it had been tainted with salmonella. Took me nearly 2 weeks to almost feel normal after that. I still don't feel right, but I attribute it to being nervous about buying my new house. :(

I hope you feel better soon!

Oh no- was that the Peter Pan incident?????????????

Several people have mentioned food poisoning to me as well......I got sick right after eating seafood. :(

NoGluGirl Contributor
Oh no- was that the Peter Pan incident?????????????

Several people have mentioned food poisoning to me as well......I got sick right after eating seafood. :(

Dear Mtndog,

Peter Pan was not the only kind recalled. Wal-Mart's Great Value Brand was as well. They just recalled more of the product. Any jars made in the Georgia plant from 2004 on were encouraged to be disposed of due to contamination. This is so scary! Thank God I eat Jif!

It is bad enough we have to be scared about food because of gluten, but now produce and other foods are no longer safe! First it was spinach, now peanut butter! What are we supposed to do? As far as the seafood goes, if you got it from that, it might have just gotten your system out of whack. The good news is, a probiotic supplement can fix it. Good bacteria like L. Acidophillus should help a lot.

If you tolerate dairy, you can also eat yogurt with live active cultures. I have to take supplements, because I cannot tolerate dairy, but Yoplait Whips are safe for people who can. They clearly label any gluten containing ingredients.

Dear Abug,

That is so scary! I thought it was E. Coli it was contaminated with. Maybe I heard that wrong.

It was salmonella? Either way, if you cannot eat dairy, get a probiotic supplement. That will help get your system back in balance. The good bacteria eats the bad stuff. If you can eat dairy, go for Yoplait yogurt with live active cultures.

I hope you both feel better soon!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Abug Rookie

To both, that's where it came from. I got it from Great Value. I spent about 20 minutes in the peanut butter section the next time I was there looking for another brand I could eat, and finally settled on one. And I just looked up my paperwork to confirm, it was Salmonella. I think the E-coli was what's commonly recognised as the "spinach incident." Or probably one of any number of screw ups the food production companies have been making lately. Never thought I'd be a victim of one, but I always knew it was possible. I try not to delude myself with the kind of thinking that "unlikely bad events don't happen to me." That way, I can be prepared to deal with them when they come along.

Thanks for the good advise and well wishes, and I hope everyone feels better :) Oh, and yeah, I can't have dairy either. But besides the potential medicinal properties, I don't miss it at all after 5 years and 7 months gluten-free :D (I just calculated it .. earlier I said 6 or 7 years on another thread, but if I counted right, I was mistaken. I'm gluten-free since 18 September 2001.)

Archived