This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Jerry Is Very Frustrated....

JerryK

CarlaB Enthusiast
See...this is what I always thought. I have been surprised to see the number of posts on this board that claim to be non-celiac gluten intolerant. I haven't done any scientifu research reading on it lately, but I guess i will have to. I know my GI believes that they are two seperate things but I always thought the end result was villi damage.

I think it depends on WHY you are gluten intolerant. Hopefully there will be some research on all this! I know I for one never cheat, though I don't think I'm prone to celiac since I didn't get better on the gluten-free diet except for the GI issues. The other health issues are related to another problem. I think for many, though, it is "pre-celiac."

I've always had GI issues when I have a Lyme flare-up, and no problems whatsoever when I'm healthy. That's why I think my gluten intolerance may be a symptom of the Lyme rather than a problem all it's own ... BUT I will most likely always eat gluten-free ... it'd just be nice if eating out at a restaurant wasn't such an issue!

I agree on the Namaste. In the fall I added a can of pumpkin to the blondies, they were so good and so moist that way! And, Jerry, even a MAN can handle pouring the mix in a bowl, mixing in an egg and some oil with a fork, pouring it in a pan and cooking it. Not exactly the same as baking from scratch! I have 10 year olds who can handle it, of course, they're girls, but surely you can cook as well as a 10 year old. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JerryK Community Regular
And, Jerry, even a MAN can handle pouring the mix in a bowl, mixing in an egg and some oil with a fork, pouring it in a pan and cooking it. Not exactly the same as baking from scratch! I have 10 year olds who can handle it, of course, they're girls, but surely you can cook as well as a 10 year old. :)

Yes, I believe that I can. However, after getting up at 5, going to work...working our, picking up the kids...getting home at 7pm, the very last thing I want to do is cook. Sometimes, it's just easier not to eat, and I find myself doing that. I guess that's ok 'cause I was perhaps a little pudgy around the midsection anyway....

Jestgar Rising Star

That's where the freezer full of ice cream comes in.

Mtndog Collaborator
Thanks for all your responses. The problem is I am a MAN if you couldn't already tell :lol:

I'm not going to do Gluten Free baking or make fancy Gluten Free meals...it just isn't going to

happen. I work full time and it's all I can do just to survive that, let alone try to find something "safe" to eat. So, I end up eating the same things OVER an OVER. Eggs, meat, potatoes, vegetables, fruit...eggs, meat, potatoes, vegetables, fruit and I'm sick of it. I want a fully loaded Godfathers Pizza.....

I notice some folks on here that don't eat meat...no offense, but I would die if I didn't get some protein.

What ends up happening if I'm really tired is I either don't eat or, if there are cookies on the counter, I might lose it and have one. Either option causes weight loss, if you get my drift.

And I'm doing all this because of a problem that is not even accepted as real by a large portion of the medical community. I understand the issues, but I was worried all along what would happen if I couldn't get an official diagnosis.

I did suggest to my wife that it's OK to have cookies, but how about not leaving them out on the counter so I don't have to look at them when I'm preparing my gruel.

I think I'll go to the local speciality store and see if I can find a whole lot of Gluten Free junk food and create my own special horde. Thanks for letting me vent. j

OK- who does the cooking? Your wife? Or do you guys tend to do more fast food (like frozen etc) because of the time crunch? I KNOW it's really hard when you've got to work, tend to 2 kids and all but I'm thinking if you need convenient food....there are still options and if your wife does the cooking, there are even more options.

OK- convenient gluten-free food:

* Amy's rice Mac 'n cheese and Amy's rice crust pizza are both dedicated gluten-free (the pizzza need toppings- I usually throw al Fresco chicen garlic sausage on it and it's GOOOOODDDDD!!!!

* Chebe frozen pizza crusts (they are single size serving) are like a brazilian cheese bread and they, I think, are the best pizza crusts out there, gluten-free or not!

Trader Joe's carries some gluten-free frozen dinners like their chicken and cheese tamales.

There's always chips and salsa, or make nachos for that matter.

Tinkyada rice pasta is good. You can make a big pot and add the fixings. It refrigerates and freezes well and pasta is easy and fat.

Uhmm...let's see.

Mary's Gone Crackers are pretty good with cheese on them.

There's always pbj on gluten-free bread.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Yes, I believe that I can. However, after getting up at 5, going to work...working our, picking up the kids...getting home at 7pm, the very last thing I want to do is cook. Sometimes, it's just easier not to eat, and I find myself doing that. I guess that's ok 'cause I was perhaps a little pudgy around the midsection anyway....

Sorry but those are really sad excuses :) It's not like all of us here devote our entire lives to gluten-free cooking :P It's more a matter of changing your mindset, rather than changing your entire lifestyle (and even some men can figure it out :))

Purchasing an Amy's gluten-free pizza is not exactly more difficult than buying a Godfather's pizza. You can still eat all the meat you want...so I don't know what the problem is there. If you're anything like the men I know, you people actually do have a tendency to live off the same food day after day, as long as it's something you like and don't have to put much effort into. So yeah, go to the health food store and see what you can find. They usually have pre-cooked whole chickens, potato chips, frozen enchiladas, frozen pizzas, bread, cookies etc. and it's all safe and gluten-free. It might not be the most inexpensive way to go...but you'll figure something out.

Why don't you suggest to your wife that the entire house go gluten-free for just a month? That way you can adjust without gluteny temptations, and by the time the month is over, you probably won't want gluten so badly anymore.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I work full time, although my hours are not as long as yours. I make extra dinner on the weekends so I have leftovers

available for lunch and dinner.

In my opinion the key to eliminating "boring" from a gluten free diet is to find different ways to cook the food. Stir fried cashew chicken over rice is a completley meal different from grill barbecued chicken with baked beans. Example of how I use hamburger are spagetti sauce, hambuger patties, chill, tacos, spanish rice, cabbage rolls, and mexican casserole.

There a lots of recipes on this website and others to choose from.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear JerryK,

I know what you mean about the meat! I would die if I did not eat it, too! I get sick and sluggish without eating some. I always feel so much better when I have had some hamburger! There are just some of us who would never make it as vegan.

The food rut is something I have fallen into as well. We are on a tight budget, so I cannot afford many specialty foods. I often get stuck eating the same thing a lot. Most of what I get is at the regular grocery. There are some nice options, too. Believe it or not, there is actually some tasty stuff we can have. I cannot have some of it now due to having to exclude dairy, but if you can tolerate it, go for it! Here is a beginner's list for you:

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margerine

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip

Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)

Snack Foods:

Fritos

Tostitos

Lay's Original Potato Chips

Cool Ranch Doritos (Nacho cheese has gluten)

Act II Microwave Popcorn

Cheetos

3 Musketeers candy bars

Butterfinger candy bars

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Meat and Protein :

Eggs

Great Value Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Extra Lean ground beef

Carl Buddig lunchmeats all are safe

Johnsonville Original Bratwursts

Kraft Cheese Shredded or sliced (Kraft is a great company, they never hide gluten in their labels. If it does not say wheat, barley, oats or rye, then it is not in there!)

Cereals:

Cocoa Pebbles

Fruity Pebbles

Seasonings:

Durkee Cinnamon-ground

Durkee Ginger-ground

Durkee Chili powder

Durkee Vanilla Extract (in fact, all of their liquid flavorings, food colorings, and extracts are g.f.)

Emeril's Essence - Asian, Italian

Ortega Taco Seasoning (In fact, since they are under a very strict labeling policy, all of their products are gluten free at this time)

Miscellaneous:

Ortega Taco Shells

Starkist or Great Value Tuna

Butter Buds

Great Value Soy Milk

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Apples

Pears

Carrots

Great Value Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Del Monte Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Ore Ida Tater Tots

Ore Ida French Fries

I hope this helps a bit!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. I know what it is like to have a bad case of food lust. When I watch the Sopranos, lately I have been drooling over the food in the scenes! All of those huge meatballs in ragu sauce and spaghetti, and baked ziti with gooey cheese!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JerryK Community Regular
Sorry but those are really sad excuses :) It's not like all of us here devote our entire lives to gluten-free cooking :P It's more a matter of changing your mindset, rather than changing your entire lifestyle (and even some men can figure it out :))

O.K. So here's my schedule for today...up at 5:00 leave for work...have my usual boiled eggs and

fruit for breakfast. During the work day, from 7-4ish, I'll have some corn chips, nuts and fruit.

My safe foods. At 4:00 I drive in to the city for my Tuesday night bowling league. Now I can

have some french fries or something at the bowling alley, or choose to go without and wait to

eat until I get home. When I do get home at 10:30 PM I am usually pretty hungry, I'm also pretty tired and I'm gonna need to get up at 5AM the next day. I don't have time for gluten free cooking, I barely have time to pee. This isn't a sad excuse, it is reality...it is the way of life for the average American. What they do, and what I cannot do, is eat fast food.

So if I'm tired enough, I decide it's simply too much trouble to make something and go to bed.

Now granted, I'm still a gluten-free grasshopper and I still have much to learn. I should and could have something gluten-free in my freezer waiting for me. I'm mostly just venting because I do not like the restrictive lifestyle. Just being honest. I'd lots rather chow down a burger with reckless abandon.

It's all good, because if I lose more weight, I'm gonna start looking pretty "cut" anyhow :P

NoGluGirl Contributor
O.K. So here's my schedule for today...up at 5:00 leave for work...have my usual boiled eggs and

fruit for breakfast. During the work day, from 7-4ish, I'll have some corn chips, nuts and fruit.

My safe foods. At 4:00 I drive in to the city for my Tuesday night bowling league. Now I can

have some french fries or something at the bowling alley, or choose to go without and wait to

eat until I get home. When I do get home at 10:30 PM I am usually pretty hungry, I'm also pretty tired and I'm gonna need to get up at 5AM the next day. I don't have time for gluten free cooking, I barely have time to pee. This isn't a sad excuse, it is reality...it is the way of life for the average American. What they do, and what I cannot do, is eat fast food.

So if I'm tired enough, I decide it's simply too much trouble to make something and go to bed.

Now granted, I'm still a gluten-free grasshopper and I still have much to learn. I should and could have something gluten-free in my freezer waiting for me. I'm mostly just venting because I do not like the restrictive lifestyle. Just being honest. I'd lots rather chow down a burger with reckless abandon.

It's all good, because if I lose more weight, I'm gonna start looking pretty "cut" anyhow :P

Dear JerryK,

Dinty Moore Beef Stew is safe! That would be nice for dinner, right? A couple of other things:

LaChoy Sweet Sour Sauce

A1 Steak Sauce

Ore Ida Quick Crispy Fries (You do these in the Microwave) are safe and tasty!

How about Chili Fries? (Hormel Chili + Ore Ida Fries + Kraft Shredded Cheese)

This tastes like love Jerry, I am tellin' ya! ;)

All Ortega products are gluten free!

Progresso Creamy Mushroom Soup is safe (Add some chopped cooked chicken and gluten free noodles, and it is good stuff!) Oh Yeah! Big Sexy food! Are ya with me?

I understand the time limit issue. I am a college student as well as an entrepreneur.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

JerryK Community Regular

Thanks so much for the list!!!! I need to make and keep one for myself.

Mango04 Enthusiast
This isn't a sad excuse, it is reality...it is the way of life for the average American. What they do, and what I cannot do, is eat fast food.

It's an excuse and it's reality (though the tone of my last post was really meant to be interpreted in more of a tongue and cheek sort of way. Sorry if it offended, though I understand your need to vent). It's just that a lot of us here are average Americans with equally busy lifestyles, and we find a way to make this work without really compromising all that much.

I think everyone's just trying to tell you that it's doable, and you'll get to a point where it's easy. Even though getting to that point might be a process with lots of ups and downs, you'll more than likely get there sooner than you think.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I'm mostly just venting because I do not like the restrictive lifestyle. Just being honest. I'd lots rather chow down a burger with reckless abandon.

I doubt there are many here who don't feel the same way. I'd like to go to Finland JUST so I could have a Big Mac! How pathetic is that?

Do you have Chick-fil-a where you are? How about grabbing a grilled chicken salad and some waffle fries?

What about Wendy's? How about a baked potato and chili? You can also have a Frosty to satisfy that sweet tooth.

You can always pack a sandwich to take to bowling. I know I'd do that for my hubby.

JerryK Community Regular
P.S. I know what it is like to have a bad case of food lust.

OK, this statement I like. I defines my problem perfectly. :lol::lol::lol:

miles2go Contributor

Heehee, I know a lot of men who love to cook, but...I don't always like to cook myself, although my friends tell me that I'm the goddess of cooking or something and why am I not in that field? I do live to eat, even after a half-fast dx, so here's my best tips for ya'.

You can cook on one weekend day and have enough foods in the freezer for a month or more. Quantity does not greatly increase the time for preparing meals, it's the diversity of foods/recipes that's going to get you, timewise. I own a FoodSaver. Best kitchen gadget that I ever bought. I bum used Weight Watchers plastic trays from my coworkers and freeze my food in there and then vacuum-seal it. Don't microwave in those, just think of them as glorified ice cube trays.

There have been a number of days where I've been just freaked about what I'm going to eat for the day. This gets better the longer you go gluten-free and are comfortable with it, but on those days, I can pull any number of foods out of my fridge, put them on to steam/boil while I shower and get ready for work, the rest goes raw or is already cooked and before you know it, I've brought a whole week's worth of food to work.

Relax. I agree with the others that you need to make the decision. It is a scary one and you feel like you're on another planet for a while, but you've already found us. Stay away from the American mind-worship of gluten and go with the other cuisines.

Bestest,

Margaret

Lisa Mentor

Gosh Jerry, I love ya to death....but you are your worst enemy! :P Can't you get some cooperation from "the little wife" (not my words, but yours B) )

Would it be possible to enlist her in your efforts to keep you out of the bathroom. What she spends in cooking naturally gluten free, tasty hardy meals could save you the cost of additional toilet paper.

NoGluGirl Contributor
OK, this statement I like. I defines my problem perfectly. :lol::lol::lol:

Dear JerryK,

You are so welcome for the food list! Anytime buddy! Yep, food lust! :) You want to hear something hilarious? On top of obsessing over the food on the Sopranos, I also began dreaming about it! :D Oh, it was so good, and I never got full! I could just keep eating! It was great! It was the first time in my life I not only could eat without getting sick, but without getting fat! ;)

Dear Carla,

You are no more pathetic than I am! I miss my Big Macs and Fries from MacDonald's. They are gluten free in Finland? Let's get on a plane together! He he! :P

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

miles2go Contributor

Oh, and use/buy that crockpot. It's a good thing!

M.

JerryK Community Regular
Gosh Jerry, I love ya to death....but you are your worst enemy! :P Can't you get some cooperation from "the little wife" (not my words, but yours B) )

Would it be possible to enlist her in your efforts to keep you out of the bathroom. What she spends in cooking naturally gluten free, tasty hardy meals could save you the cost of additional toilet paper.

I absolutely can get some cooperation from the little woman...whe's quite willing to assist me shopping for gluten-free. She's also quite UNwilling to give up gluten and has made it quite clear that she's an addict. I believe her. So as far as cooking and eating...I'm on my own. On the plus side, my abs are beginning to become well defined!!

Mtndog Collaborator
I doubt there are many here who don't feel the same way. I'd like to go to Finland JUST so I could have a Big Mac! How pathetic is that?

Do you have Chick-fil-a where you are? How about grabbing a grilled chicken salad and some waffle fries?

What about Wendy's? How about a baked potato and chili? You can also have a Frosty to satisfy that sweet tooth.

You can always pack a sandwich to take to bowling. I know I'd do that for my hubby.

carla- I'm booking the plane tickets now. We can fly to Finland, eat McD's all weekend and then return in a year.

i didn't know Chic-fil-a's fries were safe! Holy batman! We HAVE a chick-fil-a!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wendy's Frostys are yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand- I was just venting to my hubby the other day that what I miss most is not so much the food, but the convenience (and I've been at this 2 years now). It's hard to have to plan ahead and go hungry when you don't plan far enough ahead. Then, of course, you are tempted to eat something which you are not sure is safe. That's how I got glutened most of the time the first year I was gluten-free.

I didn't willingly eat gluten- I just ate stuff I wasn't 100% sure of.

My hubby tries to console me by telling me that in the long run, I'm better off not eating fast food but he can go to BK, Dunkin Donuts and McD's! Cold comfort :P

Lisa Mentor
I absolutely can get some cooperation from the little woman...whe's quite willing to assist me shopping for gluten-free. She's also quite UNwilling to give up gluten and has made it quite clear that she's an addict. I believe her. So as far as cooking and eating...I'm on my own. On the plus side, my abs are beginning to become well defined!!

Well then, don't keep us in the dark.......show us the buff!!! :P (can't see from a distance, in the snow)

Do I have a witness???

miles2go Contributor

Oh *groan*

It's March and Abfest1 starts on celiac.com.

:D

Mtndog Collaborator

Yes- You got a witness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post those abs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jestgar Rising Star

I am so not buying this "no time" excuse.

This morning I got up at 5, had leftover potato salad for breakfast, boiled a bunch of eggs and put two in my backpack.

I took the bus to the ferry, the ferry to Seattle, the shuttle to work (note the lack of car during commute)

I had my eggs for a mid morning snack

Lunch was Progresso soup (which I keep in my drawer, replenishing as necessary)

Today I'm leaving early so I'll get home at 6, but I'm doing remodeling in my back room so I don't have time to make anything huge. What I do have time for is to throw a frozen piece of salmon (cut to serving size and wrapped in foil on the weekend) in the oven/frying pan/grill. I also have frozen veggies and frozen potatoes which can be thrown into a pan and saute'd together, or wrapped in foil and put in the oven/grill (whichever I feel like).

And for dessert there's ice cream and frozen fruit.

CarlaB Enthusiast
carla- I'm booking the plane tickets now. We can fly to Finland, eat McD's all weekend and then return in a year.

i didn't know Chic-fil-a's fries were safe! Holy batman! We HAVE a chick-fil-a!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds good to me!!!

Double check to be sure yours has a dedicated fryer. Most of them do, and if they do, the fries are gluten-free!!!!

Jerry, you've got people here waiting to see those abs! Better change that avatar!

JerryK Community Regular
Yes- You got a witness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post those abs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In another few weeks, when my "one pack" becomes a six pack.. :lol:

Archived