This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New York City

IsAMom

IsAMom Apprentice

Looks like we've had a change of plans and will be taking a long weekend in New York City later this month. I would love to hear of any gluten free restaurants/bakeries in Manhattan. Would also appreciate gluten-free friendly dining suggestions. I'm praying there's a ton to choose from.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

I haven't been there, but have heard there is a ton of them. Good place to check out reviews is the celiac chicks website. Open Original Shared Link

Have fun!

whitney728 Newbie

I actually go to school in Manhattan (although I am studying in Prague at the moment), so you should be happy to know that you have plenty of options :)

1. RISOTTERIA - this is an absolute must. It's by far my favorite gluten-free restaurant in the city. It's on the corner of Bleecker Street and Morton Street in the West Village (near the 1 train (Christopher Street stop) or the A,C,E,B,D,F, and V trains (W4th street stop)). It's a great little Italian place with a good selection of pizza, focaccia sandwiches, and risottos. They also have great gluten-free breadsticks (they come automatically, you don't even need to ask) and desserts. The menu automatically lists all of the gluten-free options, and they pretty much make everything in a "regular" and gluten-free version. It's my own personal version of heaven, and it's about 3 blocks from where I live in New York, so I'm here quite a bit.

2. Puff&Pao - this is relatively near Risotteria, it's on Christopher Street, between Bleecker and Hudson I think (or it's between Bleecker and 7th Ave. South...I would know this if I was there right now) - they have great gluten-free brownies and I think some of their other cookies are gluten-free as well, but the best thing to try is the paos, these little Brazilian (I think) cheese breads that are a specialty of theirs. Same subway directions as Risotteria, although the 1 train is much closer.

3. Babycakes! - Gluten-free bakery on the Lower East Side. www.babycakesnyc.com. It's a cute little place with a lot of great options, and it's sugar-free and vegan as well (I promise, they still taste great). I think you take the F train to Delancey Street and walk down to Broome Street, but I would look up their address and look up the subway directions on Hopstop (see below) to be safe.

Open Original Shared Link

These are the GFRAP restaurants in New York City (including Risotteria). All of these offer gluten-free menus. I've been to Sambuca - it's quite good - but I haven't been to any of the others.

Let's see...

There are several Whole Foods locations. There's one in Union Square (4,5,6,N,R,Q,W,L trains to 14th St-Union Square) that's right down the block from a Trader Joe's (and a regular grocery store - the Food Emporium.) This is the one I shop at, and they have a really good selection of gluten-free items. There's also one in Columbus Circle (A,C,E,1,B,D trains to 59th St-Columbus Circle, or take the N,R,Q,W, to 57th street and walk) that's really nice. I'm not sure where the other locations are but I'm sure you can look that up on the Whole Foods website.

Another useful website is www.hopstop.com - this isn't gluten-free related, but it's useful to look up subway and walking directions to wherever you need to go in New York (including these restaurants!)

Overall, I've eaten out at plenty of places (and I'm fairly sensitive) and you definitely have a lot to choose from. Most of my restaurant recommendations are in the vicinity of NYU, as that's the area I know best (although Sambuca is further uptown, by Central Park) but you can definitely find something in any area of the city. Risotteria is a must though.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

AndrewNYC Explorer

Open Original Shared Link

I recommend Lumi, Tini, Peter's Gourmet Diner, Bistango or Sambuca, and Bloom's in that order. Babycakes is great for dessert, if a little off the beaten path for out of towners. I'd suggest taking a cab to get there. Risoterria was shut down by the health dept recently. According to the news, DOH has gone on a rampage in that neighborhood of closing restaurants after rats were seen by tv cameras in a KFC down the street which DOH had inspected just a few days before. My personal opinion is that risoterria is a very clean place to eat, and I would suggest trying it, if it reopens soon.

AndrewNYC Explorer

I just noticed that you have three kids. You should without question go to Peter's Gourmet Diner, around 84th and 1st. There are tons of families there always, and a very kid friendly menu. The other restaurants are a tad more formal, and Lumi and Tini can be expensive, especially for large families. Have fun.

AndrewNYC Explorer

Sambuca = kid friendly as well

Archived