Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deedub

Test Results

i got my blood test results back and the "TTG IgG AB" is high at 81 and ferritin was slightly low, so the doc wants to do a biopsy tomorrow. I am totally shocked that the blood tests is pointing towards a celiac condition. once i learned that I may have celiac, I've been monitoring when I eat wheat , barley and/or rye and feel no ill effects ? Yes, I know that everyone doesn't have the same or even any symptoms, but is it possible that the blood test is wrong ? Lastly, after my biopsy, if my small intestine looks fine, villi are not flattened, then what ? Is a gluten free diet still necessary even though there are no physical affects ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Someone posted a bit ago that she was absolutely symptomless, except that she only weighed 80 pounds....

She (if I remember correctly) had total villus destruction before she went gluten-free.

I think the symptomless version is the most dangerous. You have no physical cues that you've eaten gluten, except that you are absorbing no nutrition and are slowly killing yourself.

If your antibodies are high, and your ferritin is low, then something's wrong, right?

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Right, everyone's different. I am getting nutrition based on my weight, acitivity and overall health. I feel great. I have always had lower ferritin all my life, and at 32, I'm thriving. Yes something is wrong with my digestion with regards to excessive gas which is occasional and bloating which is also occasional. My question was if anyone has had a positive blood test with no damage to the villi ?

What would the doc look for next ?

Well, I don't know what a doc would look for, but I expect people on this forum would suggest you keep a food diary to find out if there's some specific food that gives you problems.

Some common intolerances are soy and dairy. Others include eggs, corn, sulfates, msg (okay that's not really a food, but you get the idea).

And it could be something like whole eggs give you gas, but eggs baked into something are fine. Your diary needs to be pretty specific.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

is it typical that my blood test did not check for anti-gliaden IgG and anti-endomysium ?

just wondering that if the entire " panel " was not done, how accurate is the bloodwork ?