Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alamaz

Low Fiber Diets?

In doing my research I came accross a website that suggests eating a low fiber diet for celiacs. If I don't eat enough fiber, then I get the big C. :( I was just wondering if any one else had heard this also and what the significance of a low fiber diet does for a celiac.

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That sounds crazy and pointless. Maybe they meant initially, until your gut heals? Or maybe they meant to say that Celiacs end up eating a lower fiber diet because of the lack of whole grains?

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Maybe they mean at the intial diagnosis of celiac but it reads as if in addition to following the gluten-free diet one should follow a low fiber one too.....scary what is out there!

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

In our case, a fiber rich diet was and is really important to help with the constipation too. However, many folks equate a fiber rich diet with raw fruits and vegetables, which are hard to digest, especially with a "raw" intestine. What we had to do for our son, was really cook all the fruit and vegetables, which allowed us to still get a decent fiber content, but helped make digestion easier. So, I wonder and what they considered "low fiber". Good luck

Fiber can be rough on the intestines, even more so in people with celiac disease. I eat a low fiber diet. Fiber draws water into the colon, which causes me to have dehydration. But I don't suffer from constipation, so eating low fiber is fine for me. Obviously fiber is good for those who sufer from constipation.

Celiac Sprue

Multiple Food Allergies

Diagnosed June 2006

Stopped Eating June 2007

IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present