Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guhlia

Need Help With A Recipe

Okay, I made hush puppies tonight for the first time since going gluten free. The flavor was really good, but the texture was way too dense. What can I do to make it a little lighter, easier to chew and swallow?

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've seen recipes where they use whipped egg whites (like you're making a merengue but soft peaks) and fold them in. That might lighten them up.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

I have found that using a little corn flour in the place of corn meal helps; but I have never made Hush Puppies so this would be experimental for them.....I get corn flour from Kinnikinnick in Canada

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

I've never made Hush Puppies either, but here's a recipe from the back of a package of corn meal:

1 cup corn meal

1/2 tsp. salt (optional)

1/2 tsp. baking powder

2 tbsp. minced onion

1/4 cup milk

1 egg or 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute

The directions literally say "deep fry in hot oil (370

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I've never made Hush Puppies either, but here's a recipe from the back of a package of corn meal:

1 cup corn meal

1/2 tsp. salt (optional)

1/2 tsp. baking powder

2 tbsp. minced onion

1/4 cup milk

1 egg or 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute

The directions literally say "deep fry in hot oil (370

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Hi Angie,

Your avatar is making my mouth water...I made hush puppies just a few weeks back, using Bette Hagman's gluten-free flour mix. I thought they were a little bit denser than I remembered, but they were righteously tasty and my gluteny coworker has been pining for them since. I used my new deep fryer at 375* for what it's worth and the recipe from River Road, which is basically just the same as yours, so my best guess it that perhaps the oil wasn't up to temperature-snuff. Just a thought.

Keep makin' them!

Margaret

P.S. Okay, your recipe is just a little different. I don't know if this will actually change things, I'm still going with the oil temperature story:

Hush Puppies

1 c. cornmeal

1 t. baking powder

1 t. salt

1 t. sugar

1 c. flour

1 egg

3/4 c. milk

dash of red pepper

chopped green onion tops

1 T. grated onion

Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Beat egg, add milk and add this to cornmeal mixture. Add onion and red pepper. Drop by spoonful in hot deep fat (375*) and fry until brown. SHould you like a lot of crust, these may be patted flat. This makes approximately two dozen.