Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
runner girl

Another Question From Newbie

Rate this topic

Hi all,

First, I just want to thank everyone for all you're help and advice. It is nice to have a support system to help, especially since this is only week 2 of being gluten free.

My question is, since celiac causes malabsorbtion in the intestine until things have a chance to heal, is birth control affected? I wonder if it is being absorbed. I have an appointment with my ob/gyn tomorrow and figure he won't know much about celiac, so I want to have as many facts as possible. Sorry for being graphic, but the reason I am on birth control is because I am having huge issues with spotting and the birth control has not helped at all. :(

Again, thanks in advance for your advice and answers! :rolleyes:

Warm regards,

runner girl

hi just want to let everyone know that wellnessgrocer is not a very good place to buy stuff

Hi all,

First, I just want to thank everyone for all you're help and advice. It is nice to have a support system to help, especially since this is only week 2 of being gluten free.

My question is, since celiac causes malabsorbtion in the intestine until things have a chance to heal, is birth control affected? I wonder if it is being absorbed. I have an appointment with my ob/gyn tomorrow and figure he won't know much about celiac, so I want to have as many facts as possible. Sorry for being graphic, but the reason I am on birth control is because I am having huge issues with spotting and the birth control has not helped at all. :(

Again, thanks in advance for your advice and answers! :rolleyes:

Warm regards,

runner girl

Hi runner girl,

People have posted some quotes from MDs saying that BCP are absorbed in the stomach so Celiac shouldn't affect that. And others have posted that they got pregnant while taking bcp and having undiagnosed Celiac.

Probably the real answer has something to do with your natural hormone levels and how much of the pill you need to absorb to control them.

If you think it might be lack of absorption you could try a patch. Or you might need to explore other things like fibroids or something.