Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wowzer

What Would You Do?

I work in a bank as a teller. We rotate jobs every month. Every morning we put coffee and cookies out for our customers. Lucky me, my job of the month. They know that I'm eating gluten free at work. I have it down to a science, I put napkins on the cookie tray, put on a plastic glove, and only handle the cookies with the gloved hand. I throw it away and go wash my hands. I could probably get out of doing it, if I explained, but then I'm sure it would cause attitude if you know what I mean.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use Round-up to kill the weeds in my flowerbeds. I just wear gloves and wash my hands when I'm done. Sounds like you're doing a great job handling the cookies! I wouldn't make waves. Now, if you had to pass them out and spend time with the cookies or make them, then I'd make a fuss.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Sounds like what I do when I buy cookies for when guests come to our house. At our store they provide plastic gloves for handling the cookies, I use it, only touch it at the wrist and turn it inside out when taking it off and put the used glove into the container they provide.

I doubt that you will get glutened with your method, and therefore I don't believe it should be a problem.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I work in a bank as a teller. We rotate jobs every month. Every morning we put coffee and cookies out for our customers. Lucky me, my job of the month. They know that I'm eating gluten free at work. I have it down to a science, I put napkins on the cookie tray, put on a plastic glove, and only handle the cookies with the gloved hand. I throw it away and go wash my hands. I could probably get out of doing it, if I explained, but then I'm sure it would cause attitude if you know what I mean.

I would do exactly what you're doing if it were me.

I treat gluten as I would salmonella. I do not have a gluten-free household, and on occasion I handle something that contains it. I keep disposable plastic gloves in a drawer--I use them, and always wash my hands after.

In a year and a half, I don't believe I've ever been glutened that way. :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev