This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac With Fever

kabowman

Gemini Experienced

I found an interesting site this evening that has to do with temp. It discusses low body temp. It says : Open Original Shared Link

I found it interesting because it says "allergies, skin and joint disorders, brain fog, lethargy" Which are just a few symptoms that align with Celiac.

I know I run a below normal temperature usually and when I get gluten I get a low grade fever.

I was just curious how many other folks out there run a below normal temp regularly.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Yup...my normal temps are usually 96-97 degrees. Hypo thyroid is a leading cause of low body temps. I have Hashi's but even after successfully treating the Hashi's, my body temp. is still low. I think that's why heat bothers me so much. I also have seasonal and environmental allergies to boot and when I was going for allergy shots (which worked really well for me), the doctors new assistant had a habit of yapping too much while drawing the syringe of serum. Three times I popped a fever and had chills after my shots so I stopped them altogether. I just think that those with autoimmune problems may run weird fevers from time to time because our immune systems are a bit overactive. Maybe it's overkill when exposed to certain bacteria or viruses...our bodies go into overdrive more so to kill it off. All I know is I never really get sick anymore...no colds....nothing. However, during allergy season, I can spike a little temp. now and again. I take no meds at all for allergies.

Some things I have given up on trying to solve. Overall, I feel really well and never get sick. That's good enough for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

T.H. Community Regular

I don't have a high platelet count, no.

I had low grade fevers almost daily for about 2 years before I was diagnosed, but I had contracted a disease three years before then that can stay in the system and resurge quite easily. With no elevated platelets, we all thought it was this disease.

However, going gluten free had the fevers stop, and now the few times I've been glutened in the last month I've developed low grade fevers again, so I have a feeling that this is what has been getting me.

My daughter may also be developing this. The first few times she got the fever thing, we thought she was sick, but I finally started noticing that her getting sick was only happening at the same time she got gluten, so I'm tracking it now to see if that is always the case. Don't want to trust my memory and miss something, ya know?

hnybny91 Rookie

I have literally run a low grade fever for three years (not a typo either). :D It's getting better since I went gluten-free and have gotten my blood sugar under better control. If I get "glutened" or have a wild swing in my sugar, it's an immediate fever.

Hope that answers your question.

Brenda

Same here but now I only get a fever if I get glutened. My "normal" temperature was 99.4 - 99.9 for YEARS - even after a complete Infectious Disease workup by TWO Infectious Disease doctors!

• 1 month later...
cgurl03 Newbie

I had a fever of 105 after drinking some wine one night and went to the ER for it, docs have not been able to figure out for 4 years. I ran a low grade fever for about 6 months. I recently have discovered that all my problems have been from gluten. I had a high ANA and white blood cell count, and elevated Epstein-Barr. Celiac disease can cause yeast to proliferate, which teams up with Epstein-Barr, so my body was fighting against all of this. I was tested for celiac long ago, but was on the gluten-free diet at the time, which explains my negative results. Lately ingesting gluten has caused all of my symptoms to return, which has proven to me that without a doubt I have this disease. FINALLY after 4 years the pieces have come together!!

Meg123 Explorer

I have also been having short bouts of a low grade fever on and off for about 2.5 years (since the birth of my last baby). Usually i get that 'coming down with something' feeling. aches and pains etc and even a sore throat, but it never turns in to anything.

I havne't yet had the biopsy, but have had postive blood test for celiac.

I didnt know there was any link between low grade fevers and celiac disease, so this is very interesting for me. (pieces of a puzzle etc)

I have always thought my fever was part of my Chronic Fatigue flaring up. Or a candida infection in my small intestine.

Perhaps it is celiac related.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

This is interesting. I have run fevers as long as I can remember. My mom has told me that I ran a lot of fevers as a baby. Testing has never shown anything. Now, that's not to say I haven't ever had a cold or strep throat with fever.. my fevers went away after being gluten free for 6 months. Now, I only get a fever when I get glutened or actually get sick.

GFinDC Veteran

You might find some related threads if you do forum search on night sweats. there are several threads about them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
OCMom Newbie

My daughter is 8 and gets the same fevers as you do. Low grade fevers that come in the afternoon and go away with Tylenol daily for a couple weeks straight. She has lactose intolerance and has Celiac's. However, if your doctor can't diagnose you and you continue with daily fevers, or notice rashes with the fevers have him check your SED rate. If it is elevated, he needs to consider Still's Disease. I have Still's Disease and it was very hard to diagnose. It is very rare!

• 7 months later...
marjean Newbie

I found an interesting site this evening that has to do with temp. It discusses low body temp. It says : Open Original Shared Link

I found it interesting because it says "allergies, skin and joint disorders, brain fog, lethargy" Which are just a few symptoms that align with Celiac.

I know I run a below normal temperature usually and when I get gluten I get a low grade fever.

I was just curious how many other folks out there run a below normal temp regularly.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I have the same exact thing..I thought I had this celiac thing down(found out a year ago), but I still have low grade fevers that come and go..and I also have a below normal temperature normally. I also occasionally get blisters on my tongue..I never heard of Wilsons to be honest, but is it w/ celiac or instead of celiac..because I am tired, skin allergies, joint pain..and just cant think.

• 9 months later...
Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Pre-diagnosis and was googling fevers and eating too much gluten and this thread came up. I feel as though I have found kindred sufferers! My normal body temp is low (97.6), which I always chalked up to being diabetic...but I just got glutened last night (my fault...ate junk all day and all of had gluten in it not to mention the fact that I was baking and had flour all over my hands. It took a couple hours to hit...but last night I was lightheaded, stomach upset, acid indigestion, headache, the whole nine yards. Finally the light headed ness and the feeling I was going to vomit left and I just had C and later D. Now, my blood sugars are running crazy and I have a low grade fever (for me) of 99. Now, after reading this thread, I don't feel so horrible and confused about what's going on!

cavernio Enthusiast

Fluctuations in how my body temperature feels to me (not necessarily enough for fever or to be low...and then again my thermometer might be a piece of crap) is one of the few problems I've had that has almost disappeared since going gluten free. Often with the chills I'd just get that icky flu-like, everything feels kinda off and gross.

Em314 Explorer

I've frankly been basically assuming the periodic low-grade fevers are from the celiac (I've eliminated most other obvious variables already and it seems like the simplest explanation). Before now, they were just another mystery thing my body did that was inconvenient and uncomfortable; I chalked it partially up to allergies/hay fever (which, for all I know, is actually the cause). Time will tell; I'm cautiously optimistic that if I'm overall healthier, it'll improve at least somewhat, regardless of direct cause.

So, I have little to contribute other than "me too," lol.

• 1 month later...
GFreeMO Proficient

Got cc'ed last night and now I have a 100.3 fever. I think it is part of the autoimmune reaction.

• 2 months later...
surviormom Rookie

Got cc'ed last night and now I have a 100.3 fever. I think it is part of the autoimmune reaction.

i agree same happens to me.  norm is about 96 or 97 glutened 99-100.

Archived