This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has Anyone Been This Stupid ?

georgie

georgie Enthusiast

I made a tuna mornay for my Mum, and then licked the spoon after. :( And got flour all over the kitchen. My hubbie has been in there for 20 mins washing all the bench tops, and utensils 2x.......

STUPID !!!!!!!!! :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

What is a tuna mornay? I gather it contains gluten? Georgie, you shouldn't be using regular flour in your kitchen at all, get rid of it! NOBODY is allowed to use flour in my kitchen, and I wouldn't dream of using it myself, no matter who comes to visit!

I hope you won't get sick. But if you do, look at it as a valuable lesson, never to be repeated. You acted without thinking, but don't beat yourself up and calling yourself names, it won't change a thing, and will only make you feel worse.

georgie Enthusiast

Its a base of white sauce with butter, milk and flour..... I know ...Hubbie has patiently cleaned up the kitchen and tried to decontaminate it. Its taken him ages. I am sitting here at the computer thinking......OMG !!!!!!!!

And all I had to do was use a gluten-free flour !!! :blink: I am off dairy too - but those symptoms are not as severe. This time tomorrow I am going to be ILL ! :(

darlindeb25 Collaborator

We all make mistakes Georgie--everyone of us. Just "wipe yourself off and start all over again!" Habits are hard to break. That was very difficult for me in the beginning--I always tasted what I was cooking. My kids always liked noodles and I always ate one to see if they were done--that all had to stop.

Never stupid--just accidents.

RiceGuy Collaborator

It continues to perplex me as to why so many people think wheat flour is the thing to used for thickening sauces. Seems like the average person isn't aware that professional chefs around the world use arrowroot or cornstarch. I've never heard of any decent chef using wheat flour to thicken a sauce, gravy, stew, etc.

No wonder why people often end up with lumpy gravies. Wrong thickener = poor results.

Sorry if this is a rant.

missy'smom Collaborator
It continues to perplex me as to why so many people think wheat flour is the thing to used for thickening sauces. Seems like the average person isn't aware that professional chefs around the world use arrowroot or cornstarch. I've never heard of any decent chef using wheat flour to thicken a sauce, gravy, stew, etc.

No wonder why people often end up with lumpy gravies. Wrong thickener = poor results.

Sorry if this is a rant.

They are just two different methods. Each with its place.

If you'll notice the dishes you mentioned are all liquids that are brought to a boil(simmer) and then the thickening agent is added. The starches need this in order to thicken. However, when you're using something like milk that you don't want to boil, you start with the thickening agent like flour with the butter to make a roux. There are other reasons for using this method as well, including added color and flavor if the roux is cooked long enough to brown the butter. Gravy is one of those things that can be made either way with good results but a white sauce is another story. And as someone else mentioned we don't have to use wheat flour, we can use rice or a gluten-free blend but flour is necessary when making a roux. It's very easy to make a lumpy gravy with the starches too if one doesn't mix the starch with a little liquid before adding it to the rest of boiling(simmering) liquid. ;)

IMHO poor results are more a result of poor technique or perhaps the method chosen was not appropriate for the dish rather than the method itself being bad.

Kyalesyin Apprentice

Nah, thats not all that stupid.

Stupid was my wife's 4AM toast cravings, just post diagnosis. She got up, still sleepy, and wandered into the kitchen, made herself two peices of toast, ate them both and came back to bed. She didn't even realise what she'd done until the morning, she'd done it so often in the past.

Phoning her into work sick that morning was amusing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jo.R Contributor

Georgie,

I hope you are lucky enough to avoid being sick, or at least too sick. I have done similar things several times. I tasted my pasta to see if it was done, and then tasted their pasta, licked my finger after getting clam chowder on it, ate a peice of my kids cereal when it fell out of the bowl....

Anyway, good luck.

bluejeangirl Contributor

Sorry if this is a rant.

The reason you don't want to use cornstarch to thicken gravies is because it turns clear. That's ok for some things like maybe to thicken a stir fry, soup or barbecue sauce but in your gravy, traditionally its an opaque creamy color. But that never bothered me. If I'm having company I'm alittle nervous about it though.

Gail

RiceGuy Collaborator
They are just two different methods. Each with its place.

If you'll notice the dishes you mentioned are all liquids that are brought to a boil(simmer) and then the thickening agent is added. The starches need this in order to thicken. However, when you're using something like milk that you don't want to boil, you start with the thickening agent like flour with the butter to make a roux.

The starches I mentioned can be used in the situations you've given here. When it comes to the thickening capacity, I believe it is the starch portion which is the desirable one. Though fiber can soak up water, it doesn't result in that creamy type of texture. So if the flour has a notable amount of fiber, it can work against the goal. I'd have to guess this is why wheat flour tends to give a gritty type of texture. Tapioca flour on the other hand is essentially the same as the starch AFAIK, and I've used the flour for thickening, which works well (if a tapioca pudding type texture is desired).

Slackermommy Rookie

I have licked my finger too, while helping my Mom clean her kitchen after a meal..and I licked stuffing! :blink: I was so mad at myself to, but did learn a lesson.

So, you aren't the only one!!! ;)

gfp Enthusiast
The starches I mentioned can be used in the situations you've given here. When it comes to the thickening capacity, I believe it is the starch portion which is the desirable one. Though fiber can soak up water, it doesn't result in that creamy type of texture. So if the flour has a notable amount of fiber, it can work against the goal. I'd have to guess this is why wheat flour tends to give a gritty type of texture. Tapioca flour on the other hand is essentially the same as the starch AFAIK, and I've used the flour for thickening, which works well (if a tapioca pudding type texture is desired).

Its not the same.. but its not important really is it?

on the original question...

georgie, like Ursa says.... your not STUPID.... you are HUMAN ....

We all make mistakes... that is part of what makes us human!

I've worked in labs and when I was younger I thought the safetly procedures were stupid.... even common domestic cleaning products in a lab are locked away, you need to sign them in and out.. etc. As I worked in more labs I started to see the results of human nature expressed as some VERY severe injuries, I have one friend I used to work with lost half his face... and that was with a common household cleaner (carbon tetrachloride or dry cleaning fluid, also used for dabbing off chewing gum etc.)

I personally set my arm on fire and I worked with a guy lost a foot by not follwong safely proicedures with NaOH... (drain cleaner)..

Now I'm older and wiser I see the reason behind this ... its murphy's law... what can go wrong probably will, especially when its something you do regualrly...

Keeping wheat flour in the kitchen is just the same.. sooner or later it will go wrong... I once cooked pasta in two seperate pans and two seperate spoons etc. drained in seperate seives ... halfway through eating my gluten-free stuff which was shells I found a spiral .... to this day I can't say HOW it got mixed in... I was certain I had observed procedures... and remember I'm used to working in labs with VERY dangerous chemicals ...

RiceGuy Collaborator
... halfway through eating my gluten-free stuff which was shells I found a spiral .... to this day I can't say HOW it got mixed in...

Not to stray off-topic...

I've found shapes of pasta in the package other than what is supposed to be there. It's happened a few times, and also with plain frozen veggies. Just recently I opened a bag of carrots and there was a kernel of corn among them. I would agree though that it's probably more likely that the piece you got did come from the other pot. I can't tell you the number of times a piece of pasta suddenly leaps out of the pot as if under it's own power. Though I'm guessing you only had one pot uncovered at any given time.

Guest WashingtonLady

<_<

We ALL make those mistakes....the hardest for me are at potlucks, though. I'm in a church fellowship group and everyone knows my intolerance/allergy, so they are really great about working around that. Two weeks ago, though, I didn't double check before ladling a curry sauce over some rice! By the end of the evening I was bent in half. My poor friend! She felt so guilty....for MY mistake!

Same thing at home, sometimes. I won't buy the cardboard that doubles as gluten-free bread and don't have time to make my own, so the kids get "real" bread. I have to really watch the counters and cutting boards!

Eventually, whether they like it or not, we're going to be a gluten-free household, though!

What a great hubby to help out like that! Hope your discomfort is limited and over quick!

georgie Enthusiast
Eventually, whether they like it or not, we're going to be a gluten-free household, though!

What a great hubby to help out like that! Hope your discomfort is limited and over quick!

He is a treasure and has told me we have to have a completely gluten-free kitchen. And he is happy to eat along with me with all my gluten-free foods.

Still laughing over the toast story (sorry)

Not too ill yet. Tum aches ... but not too bad ( yet)

Kyalesyin Apprentice

Its ok! We still laugh about her sleep-toasting habits! I'm never letting her forget that one... there is a reason we no longer keep bread in the house and I leave something outside the bedroom door at night.

miles2go Contributor
I made a tuna mornay for my Mum, and then licked the spoon after. :( And got flour all over the kitchen. My hubbie has been in there for 20 mins washing all the bench tops, and utensils 2x.......

STUPID !!!!!!!!! :blink:

Oh yeah, gluten-free household, assiduous about taping envelopes at work, wrote the check at home and licked the envelope. Luckily it wasn't all that bad. I've done plenty of other stupid things that involved trusting others in regards to keeping things gluten-free, but that one made me feel particularly stupid. And it's not, as people have said, it's just human and perhaps a bit of old age. Now there's a thought!!

Margaret

Nantzie Collaborator

My most embarassing glutening was when I got a piece of fuzz in my mouth after giving my kids a handful of goldfish crackers. I put my fingers in my mouth to get the fuzz off and as soon as my fingers touched my tongue I realized what I did - DOH!! It happens to everyone.

As for sauces, I use Bobs's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose flour for all my roux-based sauces. I use it in exactly the same measurements as wheat flour. I have never had any problems with flavor or texture with it. I've made cheese sauce for mac and cheese with it, turkey tetrazinni, stroganoff, etc. Even gluten-eaters don't notice any difference.

My mom used to use cornstarch as a thickener for sauces, but I prefer flour (gluten-free, of course...) It's a different texture and just a matter of personal taste.

Nancy

gfp Enthusiast
Not to stray off-topic...

I've found shapes of pasta in the package other than what is supposed to be there. It's happened a few times, and also with plain frozen veggies. Just recently I opened a bag of carrots and there was a kernel of corn among them. I would agree though that it's probably more likely that the piece you got did come from the other pot. I can't tell you the number of times a piece of pasta suddenly leaps out of the pot as if under it's own power. Though I'm guessing you only had one pot uncovered at any given time.

LOL, it could be that.... fact is I don't know.... you'd think I would be able to think back and identify a risky time but it just magically happened like it grew legs and jumped out of the pan into the other?

This is the weird thing.... and its easy to look for excuses when I was probably just absent minded? Which is my point really, with something like cooking it approaches a semi autonomous reaction. Especially basic stuff... Am I the only one who screws up the simplest food .. like grilling toast or making plain rice? I can cook a 5 course meal for 200 people and have everything perfect ... but I can't do a damned toast? The reason cooking for 200 people takes a lot of concentration whereas sticking a toast under the grill (gluten-free of course) doesn't so I do it without really thinking like 90% of my cooking its mainly habit...

RiceGuy Collaborator
I won't buy the cardboard that doubles as gluten-free bread and don't have time to make my own, so the kids get "real" bread.

:lol: That's hilarious! I've only tasted a small bit of rice crust pizza a long time ago, and it was horrible. Like eating a child's paper mache artwork.

Since I can't eat yeast, I make all my breads with baking powder/soda. This one substitution saves a lot of prep time. Textures won't be quite the same, but a tweak or two in the ingredients can usually suffice, resulting in something close enough such that I don't feel like I'm missing out.

RiceGuy Collaborator
This is the weird thing.... and its easy to look for excuses when I was probably just absent minded? Which is my point really, with something like cooking it approaches a semi autonomous reaction. Especially basic stuff...

I do know what you mean. Something that comes to mind for me is turning off the burner when it's no longer needed. I do it by force of habit, and only think of it consciously as I'm going about something else. Then I have to run back to check and make sure it's off because I simply do not remember doing it. Never once have I found it still on, and it actually bugs me that the event doesn't register in my memory at all. I suppose it's the brain's way of reducing the memory clutter - it simply isn't required to ever recall it. The same goes for turning off lights when leaving the room, etc.

I also have prepared the same kinds of meals enough times such that a large part of it is semi-automatic. I get thinking of something else, and before I know it the meal is done. I can see it is complete, but the recollection of having done all the tasks involved just isn't forthcoming. Frustrating...

And yes, licking the spoon even when I'm not the only one who will be eating the meal, then plunging it back into the pot...ooops...**looking around to see if anyone took notice** :unsure:

KAG Rookie

I found a rice pasta at the health food store that tastes just like regular pasta. It is so good that it is the only kind of pasta I buy from now on. It's called Tinkyada (www.tinkyada.com) and it's made in a designated factory. No one can tell it's rice pasta. I know it costs a little more than regular, but the piece of mind is definitely worth it.

KAG Rookie

Oh, and I have done MANY stupid things. I had been taking a supplement for over a week and not knowing why I was reacting to everything, when I finally looked at the label and there it was on the label, gluten. How could I spend hours reading labels at a health food store and buy something that was so obviously labeled with gluten.

Tritty Rookie

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only too! I'm laughing here out loud!

I've licked my finger - been given goldfish kisses - and my stupidest - was trying to finish up some pre gluten-free ketchup that I had - and gave the kids the gluten-free kind and me the nonGF kind - didn't realize it until I started to feel bad and looked at the bottle sitting next to my plate :blink:

Nantzie Collaborator

That reminds me of my one on-purpose glutening. Before my kids went gluten-free, my son had just eaten something gluteny and he came up and wanted to give me a kiss on the lips for the very first time in his life (he was almost 2.5).

That glutening was worth it. :wub:

Nancy

Archived