This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Yesterday Was A Hard Day

confused

confused Community Regular

Yesterday was my sons 7th birthday. I made an gluten free cake for me and my step son, then my hubby bought an cake for everyone else could eat. My 7 yr old came up to me and asked me mommy why wont u eat my cake its my birthday, and i told him cause his cake had gluten in it, and he is like but mommy it is good. Then he he was like mom i wish gluten was never made then you could eat my cake. I had to come inside and cry. I felt so bad i was eating an cake that tasted like dirt, and he was eating a really nice looking cake.

But on another note, i felt pretty good, i went rollerbladding with the kids and we went to the park and played basketball. something i have not done in a long time. So that made up for not eating his cake.

But i am getting kinda depressed, i have gained 9 pounds since i started the gluten free diet. Will i ever stop gaining so much weight.

paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ebrbetty Rising Star

(((paula)))

this diet can be so tough sometimes, my hubbys b-day was Tuesday, I made a flourless chocolate cake that was to die for [i'm the only celiac] that way we all had the same thing.

I too have gained about 9 pounds, so I understand how it gets depressing, I'm eating less than before going gluten-free and exercising more..I guess our bodys are finally absorbing what we eat :blink:

I'm glad your felling better, and rollerblading?? good for you..I wish I could do that lol

(((paula)))

this diet can be so tough sometimes, my hubbys b-day was Tuesday, I made a flourless chocolate cake that was to die for [i'm the only celiac] that way we all had the same thing.

I too have gained about 9 pounds, so I understand how it gets depressing, I'm eating less than before going gluten-free and exercising more..I guess our bodys are finally absorbing what we eat :blink:

I'm glad your felling better, and rollerblading?? good for you..I wish I could do that lol

Everyone had told me that they would all eat the gluten free cake with us, but i felt bad, so i told them no its ok, u guys get an marble cake from the bakery. I really didnt think i would mind. And i think i would have been fine if my 7 yr old didnt say anything lol.

When is our body going to stop absorbing all this food then, if i continuje at this rate ill be 200 by the end of the month. I really need to start exersising again.

My body is paying for that rollerblading this morning tho, my legs hurt.

paula

missy'smom Collaborator

Have you tried the Namaste Choc. cake mix? My son is 8 and not gluten-free but he likes it and happily eats it with me. If I frosted and decorated it... :D I'd see smiles. I also use a regular "flourless" cake recipie and sustitute gluten-free flour for the little amout that it calls for. It is such a small amount that I don't add Xanthan gum and it comes out fine.

I'm sorry you had a rough day. It's hard not being able to join family and enjoy the same foods.

ebrbetty Rising Star

the Namaste Choc. cake mix is awesome, I sub the eggs for egg whites and the oil for applesause

the Namaste Choc. cake mix is awesome, I sub the eggs for egg whites and the oil for applesause

I will have to look into that kind, were can i find it. I am still so new to this. my dad did say that the gluten free one was good, just different, but he didnt want to eat a whole piece with me lol. Maybe mine just tasted funny cause i was having wild berry ice cream with it from schwans.

paula

DebbieInCanada Rookie
Yesterday was my sons 7th birthday. I made an gluten free cake for me and my step son, then my hubby bought an cake for everyone else could eat. My 7 yr old came up to me and asked me mommy why wont u eat my cake its my birthday, and i told him cause his cake had gluten in it, and he is like but mommy it is good. Then he he was like mom i wish gluten was never made then you could eat my cake. I had to come inside and cry. I felt so bad i was eating an cake that tasted like dirt, and he was eating a really nice looking cake.

But on another note, i felt pretty good, i went rollerbladding with the kids and we went to the park and played basketball. something i have not done in a long time. So that made up for not eating his cake.

But i am getting kinda depressed, i have gained 9 pounds since i started the gluten free diet. Will i ever stop gaining so much weight.

paula

It can be hard for the kids to understand. All of my kids are off dairy. They are OK with Gluten, but I cook dairy free for them (thank god for soy milk). I'm the only one who is gluten free (but OK with dairy). My 5 year old can have a hard time keeping it all straight, since I can't have some of their dairy free substitutes, which have corn or gluten in them. "So Mommy, can you eat my cheese?" "No, it hurts my tummy." "But you can have your kind of cheese, and I can't???"

One of the best recipes I have for birthday cake is the regular chiffon cake from "Company's Coming" (chocolate preferrably ;) ). I substitute a gluten-free blend for the regular flour in the recipe. That way we all have one cake (because I don't NEED to eat a whole cake by myself...). I find recipes with beaten egg whites really convert well, and I challenge anyone to tell the difference!

Hope you recover from roller-blading - that uses every muscle you have to keep balanced!

Debbie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

The social aspects can be tough, particularly at first. Separating food and social life and emotions is not something we normally have to do - they usually go hand in hand in our culture (and moreso in other cultures), but as celiacs, it's my opinion that we do need to have the ability to separate them, just for these situations. (Of course, as others have pointed out, over time, we also learn how to bake really darn amazing gluten free cakes too. :) )

Abug Rookie

Tarnalberry hit on something I've been arguing with my mother about for years! Why is it we have to eat every time we do anything social? Why can't we just play a game or music or .. anything except eating? A species of gluttons, just can't get together without eating! "Oh, but it's our culture," she responds. Hopeless. We should have Celiac communities, just like deaf people have deaf communities. We could create our own culture ;)

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear confused,

Your little boy sounds so sweet! You should be proud! ;) One place that has great inexpensive cake mixes is The Chocolate Emporium. Go to www.choclat.com and they have three delicious mixes! They have marble cake, chocolate brownie, and yellow cake. My parents even liked the chocolate brownie, and they don't eat gluten free! Celiac can suck, but man, I am grateful I found out now. Otherwise, I could have ended up with damage that could not be reversed.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. The thing I missed last year was being able to get a cake from our bakery on Franklin Street. It had the best cakes and homemade icing! The icing was creamy and likely loaded with fat (possibly a mix of shortening and butter) which I am trying to recreate. The bakery ended up closing a while back.

So, it turns out, even if I was not Celiac, I could not get a cake there anyway! I am glad no one else will be able to eat their cakes anymore either, it makes me feel better!

Thanks everyone, I sure hope it gets easier. I think once i finally get results back, things will be so much easier. My hubby even said that we can throw out everything with gluten and never look back. But i just feel so bad doing that to everyone else in the house. The bad thng is we have another birthday on sunday, my parents did say how about we have banana splits or something that we can all have. But again i feel quilty not getting my 4 yr old a real birthday cake, she wants a dora marble cake on sunday. I was going to save the rest of the gluten free cake then i wont have to make another one. but im not sure it will make it til sunday. Then we will have an huge party on the 25th with like 60 people, we are combining the 7 and 4 yr olds party with my hubbys 40th birthday, so im trying to figure that party out still.

I cant wait til it is april then i wont have to worry about birthday parties til june lol. But hopefully by then i will know what i am doing lol

paula

kittyme Newbie

paula

kittyme Newbie

The fist birthday for my son I made a special cake for my daughter. She didn't understand why. For her birthday I made a gluten free cheese cake for all of us. It was a hit everyone loved it. Raspberry cheese cake cup cakes. You can get the recipe off of kidshealth.org. You can make a crust by crushing gluten-free Mi-Del chocolate sandwich cookies after removing the white filling (and eating it- yum!) and adding melted butter enough to moisten. Then mixing well and allowing it to sit in fridge for 1 hr.

MistressIsis Apprentice

Namaste & bob's Red Mill gluten-free chocolate cale mixes...YUMMY! Never know the difference.

As for the weight gain, don;t forget that muscle weighs more than fat!!!

The fist birthday for my son I made a special cake for my daughter. She didn't understand why. For her birthday I made a gluten free cheese cake for all of us. It was a hit everyone loved it. Raspberry cheese cake cup cakes. You can get the recipe off of kidshealth.org. You can make a crust by crushing gluten-free Mi-Del chocolate sandwich cookies after removing the white filling (and eating it- yum!) and adding melted butter enough to moisten. Then mixing well and allowing it to sit in fridge for 1 hr.

That sounds awesome, im thinking that would be great for easter.

thank you

paula

ebrbetty Rising Star
Namaste & bob's Red Mill gluten-free chocolate cale mixes...YUMMY! Never know the difference.

As for the weight gain, don;t forget that muscle weighs more than fat!!!

so far everything I've had from bobs I've hated..its because he uses bean flour, I find it gives the stuff a bad aftertaste and the bean flour gives me belly aches...is the choc cake made with bean flour?

NoGluGirl Contributor
so far everything I've had from bobs I've hated..its because he uses bean flour, I find it gives the stuff a bad aftertaste and the bean flour gives me belly aches...is the choc cake made with bean flour?

Dear ebrbetty,

I loved the cakes from the Chocolate Emporium I got. They are the least expensive I have seen. Plus, they taste so good! They also turn out perfectly! The main ingredient in their mixes is potato starch or flour. Bean flours make me nervous. I have not used them. I like to stick with rice flour and glutinous (sweet) rice flour for my cookies. I love to bake, so going gluten free made that tricky at first. I thought I would not be able to bake anymore. However, I was pleasantly surprised by what I have developed so far!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

paula

Dear confused,

I started gaining wieght when I went gluten-free too, however, I desperately needed it! I'm 5'7" and I was under 110lbs. I'm much better now, around 130. Anyway, it's absolutely true that your body is now actually absorbing nutrients and will start retaining them. Keep in mind that up to now your body has been 'starving' and is going to react in a like fashion, by storing everything you give it. Try visiting the Weston Price foundation for info on foods that are truly nutritious and will not make you gain unnecessary wieght. Once your body has real nutrients and you stop feeding it empty calories it will stabilize. And keep up with the rollerblading, I bet you felt great two days later!

pooter Newbie

we love the Pamela's Brownie Mix made into a cake or cupcakes for birthdays. So far (and we've been doing this four years) everyone we have served it to has absolutely loved it and most didn't know and couldn't tell that it was gluten free. I just buy the bag brownie mix and on the bag it has the recipe to make it into a cake. I make a homemade buttercream frosting that is really simple and easy and you can make it chocolate by adding cocoa.

for my birthday this year though I want a carrot cake. The cafe near work now has gluten free deserts and even though the cakes are REALLY expensive, I want one.

Archived