Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebrbetty

Dh Questions

Hi guys, just a couple questions...for about 3 years before going Gluten Free I would get this terrible very itchy red rash across my belly, It would get so itchy I would scratch so bad it would bleed, it would last a month or 2 then just calm back down..happened about 4 times a year...went to a few Drs but they had no idea what it was and told me to put anti- itch stuff on it.

I just realized I have not had it since going Gluten Free a little over a year ago....my question is does this sound like DH? everything I read about it does NOT mention a rash on the belly..funny how I was having severe stomach pain and a rash in the same area.

any thoughts?

thank you

~Betty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was just recently diagnosed with Dermititis Herpetiformis. I didn't have a much of a rash, but they were more like blisters. They would start out as bumps and within 24 hours would be double in size and full of a clear liquid. I hope this doesn't sound to gross, but usually I would pop them, and if I didn't pop them they would just keep filling up until they popped on their own. They were always on my elbows, knees, buttocks, and occasionally on my nose and ears. I had them for over 8 months, and it always seemed that the second they would seem to be clearing up, a few days later they would come back full force, each time worse then the time before. I had tried everything to see what was causing them (ex. changing lotions, body wash etc.) but nothing seemed to work. I am not one that likes to go to doctors (my motto: what I don't know, won't hurt), well I had a friend that finally talked me into going to the dermatologist, the dermatologist that day did a biopsy to test for Dermititis Herpetiformis and I definetely had it. Back to my motto, now I know and now I have to go gluten free and it hurts!! I am trying to stay positive, but now he is sending me to a gastroenterologist to test me for Celiac, because more than likely I will have that as well.

I was just recently diagnosed with Dermititis Herpetiformis. I didn't have a much of a rash, but they were more like blisters. They would start out as bumps and within 24 hours would be double in size and full of a clear liquid. I hope this doesn't sound to gross, but usually I would pop them, and if I didn't pop them they would just keep filling up until they popped on their own. They were always on my elbows, knees, buttocks, and occasionally on my nose and ears. I had them for over 8 months, and it always seemed that the second they would seem to be clearing up, a few days later they would come back full force, each time worse then the time before. I had tried everything to see what was causing them (ex. changing lotions, body wash etc.) but nothing seemed to work. I am not one that likes to go to doctors (my motto: what I don't know, won't hurt), well I had a friend that finally talked me into going to the dermatologist, the dermatologist that day did a biopsy to test for Dermititis Herpetiformis and I definetely had it. Back to my motto, now I know and now I have to go gluten free and it hurts!! I am trying to stay positive, but now he is sending me to a gastroenterologist to test me for Celiac, because more than likely I will have that as well.