Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GraceE

Weird Stomach Discomfort Question

Does anyone ever feel discomfort after eating higher up in your stomach...more like a heartburn, reflux-type reaction but not classic heartburn and reflux. I get that way about 30 min. to an hour after I eat with a little nausea. Kind of hard to describe. Didn't know if that was another typical gluten intolerance issue. Thanks!!

FYI...I haven't been diagnosed...just suspicous that I may have an intolerance to gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'd suggest keeping a food journal, and see if there is any correlation between how you feel and what you eat. Of course, having gluten-free meals for at least several consecutive days can go a long way towards figuring out if gluten is a problem for you. It really isn't difficult, and you can bet you'll be glad you did no matter what the result.

As for your particular symptom, I don't recall seeing anyone reporting such a reaction, though that doesn't mean nobody experiences it, nor does it mean it's not from gluten. Everyone has their own particular set of reactions, and not all of them are common among the gluten intolerant.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I have been having symptoms for the past 4 months that come and go. My main complaint is excessive gas and gas-related cramping/pain. But I also feel occasional pressure in my chest area and heartburn-type pain in the center of my abdomen, which seems part of my overall sense of indigestion and digestive unease. I also have constipation and have noticed my stools have changed, although I don't have D.

I have had numerous tests/scans that have all been normal. Also, my celiac panel came back negative. (Apparently the lab gave no numbers, just reported the result to my doctor as "negative".) I was put on Prilosec for two months, but it didn't seem to do any good.

I have been keeping a food diary for about a month now. The only clear correlation between food and symptoms has been with gluten. Almost invariably, whenever I eat wheat (or other forms of gluten), I get the extreme gas and abdominal pain symptoms about 1 to 3 hours later. Similarly, when I have gone gluten-free for 3 or more days, my symptoms begin to clear up and I feel better. No problem with milk, nuts, or any other foods when they are eaten in the absence of gluten.

My "gut reaction" tells me that I am clearly having some kind of problem digesting gluten, but my test results and my doctor do not seem to agree! Perhaps it is a rare kind of non-Celiac form of intolerance???

Does anyone ever feel discomfort after eating higher up in your stomach...more like a heartburn, reflux-type reaction but not classic heartburn and reflux. I get that way about 30 min. to an hour after I eat with a little nausea. Kind of hard to describe. Didn't know if that was another typical gluten intolerance issue. Thanks!!

FYI...I haven't been diagnosed...just suspicous that I may have an intolerance to gluten.

My main symptoms were gas, bloating and awful burning sensation in upper left abd. right under my ribcage which I thought was reflux for years (it has disappeared since I went gluten-free). I had nausea that came more and more frequently then the vomiting started and increased. Most of my symptoms were not "classic". I would encourage you check out th possibility of celiac.

Had similar symptoms. Improved dramatically with gluten free. No testing. However, my sister has very clear symptoms and came back negative. So it is possible to have negative results and still be "gluten intollerant". Try removing gluten from your diet and see what happens. :)

Sally

Aussie living in Philippines, Manager, Triathlete, Mum to 2 dogs, 2 cats & fish

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hypothyroid, diag. 2000, desicated thryoid 3 grains + T4 50 mcg.

Pituitary adenoma, 2002 - no treatment (no followup yet)

Polycystic, 2000 - no treatment

IBD by biopsy - end 2006 (cause not investigated)

Suspected Gluten intolerant/celiac - not diagnosed

Gluten Free - start Dec 06 (big improvement in tummy troubles, though still not 100%..)

Allergies suspected to Rice, Mango, Chicken, some fish (though testing)... still trying to work it all out.

YES YES YES YES YES. THis is a problem that definitely plagues me. When I was still eating gluten, it was frequent but not always connected to gluten. I remember every time I ate a hamburger it actually started to hurt going down, and then of course later too. If I ate the burger alone, it didn't happen. But many different foods, and IN PARTICULAR I've decided that eating TOO MUCH can cause it. My stomach can only handle relatively small amounts of food at a time. I think my stomach is just very sensitive after 50+ years of gluten abuse, and was more so when gluten was a part of my diet. Now it's just a rare thing, but no rhyme or reason for it. Recently I got very sick from taking some vitamin pills on an empty stomach. You've just got to watch it!

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    kberry01529
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)