Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VydorScope

Looking For Support Group In Lynchbug, Va.

Hi all!

Well life to a major turn here, and we no longer live in a big bustling city (Nashville) we now live in Lynchburg, Virginia. There are no Wholefoods, no Trader Joes, No Wild oats.. and I have not found Celiac group here yet. Hoping the large audience of this board can help me find one. I am hopping that a local group could help us track down some gluten-free food here.

So any suggestions? HELP :) Thanks!

(ps despite all the rumors, I was not run off, email me if you want the real story as last time I posted it was deleted by mods)

- Vincent -

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome back stranger! :) Lynchburg is a nice city. I am sure smaller than Nashville. I have family surrounding you but not in Lynchburg. It's my drive through to Roanoke.

Lovegrove is about 30-40 minutes away, perhaps he can be of help.

Again, welcome back Vincent.

Lisa

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Hi all!

Well life to a major turn here, and we no longer live in a big bustling city (Nashville) we now live in Lynchburg, Virginia. There are no Wholefoods, no Trader Joes, No Wild oats.. and I have not found Celiac group here yet. Hoping the large audience of this board can help me find one. I am hopping that a local group could help us track down some gluten-free food here.

So any suggestions? HELP :) Thanks!

(ps despite all the rumors, I was not run off, email me if you want the real story as last time I posted it was deleted by mods)

I hope you can find some food sources near you soon. By the way, the mods can't delete any posts, only Scott can do that.

Do you have a bulk-food store or a health food store near you? If they don't have any gluten-free foods, you can always ask them if they could get some in. I did that, and now several more places in my little town carry gluten-free foods. When then I suggested that the new bulk food store should put a sign in their window to advertise the fact they have gluten-free foods (they even have Kinnikinnik doughnuts now, because I suggested that), because no celiacs in town knew they didn't have to drive to the next town any more, business started booming!

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, Vincent, good to see you back. I can't help about Virginia, but as noted, Richard Lovegrove (lovegrov) is in your new neighborhood and may be able to help. Check your email.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I hope you can find some food sources near you soon.

Do you have a bulk-food store or a health food store near you? If they don't have any gluten-free foods, you can always ask them if they could get some in. I did that, and now several more places in my little town carry gluten-free foods. When then I suggested that the new bulk food store should put a sign in their window to advertise the fact they have gluten-free foods (they even have Kinnikinnik doughnuts now, because I suggested that), because no celiacs in town knew they didn't have to drive to the next town any more, business started booming!

Just Sam's that I know of, but I have not been there yet. We actually live in Altavista, which is 25-30mins from Lynchburg, and MUCH smaller. Since I work in Lynchburg, and well most of the shopping is there, I figure if there is to be a group near by, that would be where it would be found.

- Vincent -

Lynchburg is a nice city. I am sure smaller than Nashville. I have family surrounding you but not in Lynchburg. It's my drive through to Roanoke.

Lovegrove is about 30-40 minutes away, perhaps he can be of help.

Lisa

Lynchburg is tiny compared to Nashville. :D

- Vincent -

Oh my gosh!! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me :D

You're back! It's about time!

Hope you get lots of local info--can't help you there, but I just wanted to welcome you back. :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Hope you're back to stay Vincent! You've been missed.

I can't help you with Virginia though. :(

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Vincent - contacts...

Tina Penick, Roanoke 540-422-1170

celiac.kids_liason ......................... threnich@hotmail.com

Debra Kemper, Salem, VA

540-389-6010

djkemper@adelphia.net

Contact that you can go from there.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Vincent - contacts...

Tina Penick, Roanoke 540-422-1170

celiac.kids_liason ......................... threnich@hotmail.com

Debra Kemper, Salem, VA

540-389-6010

djkemper@adelphia.net

Contact that you can go from there.

Roanoke is over an hour drive, and Salem is even further.... I guess I could see if they know anyone.

- Vincent -

I live in Roanoke and I'm virtually certain there's no group in Lynchburg. The closest to Altavista that I know of is Charlottesville at U.Va. There's also no group in Roanoke.

Kroger might have a few gluten-free foods, but not many. Roanoke and Charlottesville both have stores that sell gluten-free foods but if Lynchburg does, I don't know where it is. Wish I had better news for you.

On the positive side, the national GIG conference is in Richmond in June.

richard

Any luck finding stores in Lynchburg, VA? My son will be returning to school there after taking a semester off to get his health straightened out.

Somebody might know more than I about Lynchburg, but in most places both Kroger and Walmart have added more gluten-free foods since this thread started four years ago. Also check out any organic places. A gluten-free store near Forest, Earth Munchies, didn't make it and closed in July. Close to there on U.S. 221, there's a place that has gluten-free pizza but I don't remember the name.

richard

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    SDBella
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):