Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slackermommy

Anti Social When Glutened?

<_< Does anyone else get very antisocial when glutened? I normally love to chat, and hang out talk, love parties, and all. But once I get glutened, I don't want to chat, I don't want to go out, I just want to hole up and be left alone. :huh:

(By the way, I don't have "d" when I had/have gluten, I head straight towards constipation, so a bathroom issue isn't the problem.)

I was just curious. Since I am SO grumpy :( and off, and decided to cancel the babysitter :blink: for tonight instead of going out to a cool bonfire party. (not like me) And, I am wondering if I got glutened, since I take awhile to show signs of it. But this is def. how I used to feel.

Thanks.

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

Improved on gluten free diet

Enterolab results confirmed suspicions on Jan. 29th 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My wife gets pretty cranky and antisocial. She also gets very childlike, and has a habit of either losing her speech entirely [complete with sitting there snapping her fingers trying to find a word] or just stopping mid-sentence and asking 'what was I saying?'

For that reason, she stays off work when she's been glutened.

I'm really just here about my wife. Its all her fault!

<_< Does anyone else get very antisocial when glutened? I normally love to chat, and hang out talk, love parties, and all. But once I get glutened, I don't want to chat, I don't want to go out, I just want to hole up and be left alone. :huh:

(By the way, I don't have "d" when I had/have gluten, I head straight towards constipation, so a bathroom issue isn't the problem.)

I was just curious. Since I am SO grumpy :( and off, and decided to cancel the babysitter :blink: for tonight instead of going out to a cool bonfire party. (not like me) And, I am wondering if I got glutened, since I take awhile to show signs of it. But this is def. how I used to feel.

Thanks.

Hello,

Yep, I am doing the challenge at the moment on day 19 got to do 4 weeks leading up to biopsy and I feel really down, moody, bitter towards people who dont understand or support me, bored with it, cant be bothered with any thing..

So yeah I think its a sign..but then if you are uncomfortable as youve not been for a P in so long and your tummy is so tight where its the size of a woman about to give birth and your backs playing you up ..may have a bit to do with it to matey....:)

I tell you what though I get worse emotional issues if I eat sugar..but thats coz I also have candida..

Keep smiling and keep gluten-free..

Take care mand

Aww I definitely feel your pain, especially with the whole constipation thing. I don't think people understand how uncomfortable and actually painful constipation can be too. When I get glutened and go into that whole cycle, I just sit in the bathroom and cry. LoL. Part of my feels like I'm missing out on life by not going out and having fun, but then the other glutened part of me wants to hide in my house forever. So I totally know what you're feeling!

I also get antisocial when glutened. Part is just feeling too crummy, but the main part is that I cannot communicate coherently. It's difficult to understand what people are saying, and harder still to respond. This has recently contributed to having to quit the job I have had for 5 years, so it's not just that I miss social events. It truly sucks!

I think it's great to just stay home and watch movies when you get glutened. It beats the heck out of painful social interactions.

Thank goodness for all of you.:)

I was beginning to feel like I was going insane, and I didn't want to turn into the girl who cried "gluten" :blink: for everything! :lol:

And, I think this is part of my getting glutened experience, I am still learning about how my body tells me. <_<

So, thank you, it is great to read that others feel the same way.

And, I am watching movies tonight, my children just went to bed..and now I can be alone. :happy sigh:

I get really moody and withdrawn - not wanting to go out or chat to people. Phew ...thought I was going crazy but seems I am not. I was Glutened 2 days ago and have been cranky ever since ...

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

I think I get depressed actually, I have very severe symptoms when contaminated. I went nearly 17 years undiagnosed so I missed a lot of family conversation at dinner parties. Now I get to sit at the table for hours just talking. So when I get "glutened" I feel guilty, such as I felt for so many years. I also feel bad if I have to make people leave early because I'm sick. Sometimes I'd rather stay in the bathroom of the diner vomiting rather than making my family go home.

I especially hate getting contaminated when I'm with friends. My college friends just saw me "sick" for the first time last week.. We were at school between classes (lukily I had a 4 hour break and I was only slightly contaminated) I was back and forth between the study room and the bathroom, when in the study room I would just curl up in a ball in the cornor on the floor, lie down holding my stomach, or run off the the bathroom. I kept worrying they would think I was over reacting, or putting on a front. Luckily I have good friends who kept asking if I was ok, offering to drive me home, etc.

I think it's all worse now that I have been healthy for so long, now when it happens it just brings back too many bad memories.

"You know you're a celiac if...

~You have made a list of every food you would eat if a magical genie could cure you~

~You keep this list with you at all times just incase you come across a magical genie~

~You have searched for a magical genie~

~You now have a very large collection of old lamps.~"

I get anti-social as well. I can't think straight when I'm glutened, and trying to respond to people feels like an overwhelming effort. Actually, a little light small talk can be ok, but if someone then asks me something where I have to think about the answer I get really upset, lol. And I also can't find words then, I forget the beginning of a sentence before I finish it...

Haven't been glutened for a while, thank goodness. :)

Pauliina

I'm the queen of anti-social behavior when glutened. Part of it is that gluten makes me depressed. My other symptoms (brain fog, fatigue, stomach pain) don't help matters.

Depending on how bad I am and the symptoms I have that day, I either go home and just sleep it off or force myself to get out and hang out with people so I'm not home feeling sorry for myself.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

If you define anti-social as being crankier than an 80 year-old who just missed the 4:00 early bird special, then I fall into that category.

Got glutened last night for the 2nd time since being gluten free and I've not been the most pleasant person to be around today. I'm having my wife read this thread so she can see I'm not using it as an excuse to bite everyone's head off for blatant transgressions like moving my juice to the other side of the fridge. B)

John

positive blood tests 2/07

positive endoscopy 2/07

colonoscopy with benign polyps 2/07

I'm having my wife read this thread so she can see I'm not using it as an excuse to bite everyone's head off for blatant transgressions like moving my juice to the other side of the fridge. cool.gif

John..I actually started this thread for my husband; so he could see it wasn't just me!! :lol:

And then, I got great comfort knowing I wasn't the only one.

If you call wanting to rip the hearts out of young children "anti-social":) then I guess I qualify.

A bit over-dramatic, but I experience serious irritability, depression and just plain feel horrid.

My dad had this and solved the problem by hitting the bottle of JD.

It makes me want to curl up in a ball and hide in my bedroom.

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

Positive Dietary Response

Enterolab Antigliadin IgA positive 12/06

Transglutaminase IgA Positive

Blood TG IgA Negative 2/07

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Gluten Intolerant...Likely non Celiac

Western Oregon (Or-ee-gun) US

Why Worry?...YOU are a sentient being on a habitable world in a cosmos largely filled with nothing.

You

Ugh--being glutened brings back my anxiety with a vengence. I get paranoid, moody, and will snap at anyone who gets on my nerves--which is pretty much everyone at that point. I would rather just be by myself, and tune everything else out.

I don't sleep well when glutened, either, which dosen't help. I will tend to just lay there half the night any worry.

That alone is worse for me than the GI stuff. The mood symptoms also take longer to go away than the GI upsets.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I don't sleep well when glutened, either, which dosen't help.

That happens to me too! That not sleeping thing totally bites!

What did I do before this forum and before I figured out what was wrong???????

Ugh--being glutened brings back my anxiety with a vengence. I get paranoid, moody, and will snap at anyone who gets on my nerves--which is pretty much everyone at that point. I would rather just be by myself, and tune everything else out.

I don't sleep well when glutened, either, which dosen't help. I will tend to just lay there half the night any worry.

That alone is worse for me than the GI stuff. The mood symptoms also take longer to go away than the GI upsets.

It's the same for me!! I never had such horrible anxiety as I do when I get glutened :unsure: . I get plummeted into this horrible dark mood and I just can't get out of it or see the end in sight. I mean the stomach stuff is no dream either, but it's the anxiety and depression that hit me the hardest. I'm sorry that we all have to go through this, but always makes me feel a little better to know that other people share my pain.

It's the same for me!! I never had such horrible anxiety as I do when I get glutened :unsure: . I get plummeted into this horrible dark mood and I just can't get out of it or see the end in sight. I mean the stomach stuff is no dream either, but it's the anxiety and depression that hit me the hardest. I'm sorry that we all have to go through this, but always makes me feel a little better to know that other people share my pain.

Actually, I used to have anxiety issues before I went gluten-free, but since a few months after going gluten-free I've only had the GI symptoms when glutened. And brain fog, but I dont get crabby, I'm too confused to be crabby. I only had active GI symptoms that made me truly ILL enough to go to the doctor for about 1/2 a year though, I had that stress-triggered celiac disease thing that started when I was 19. Maybe I wasn't damaged in the same way as everyone else?

Keep in mind everyone, your gut is responsible for creating more than half the hormones in your body. So when your gut's damaged, so is your hormone production, hence the crabbiness. Just tell your spouses it's a scientific thing!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

this mood thing really fits my son. he is so grumpy, irritable, sad, crazed, and in discomfort due to stomach pain and constipation, that he screams all the time. he acts like he is loosing his mind, and it is hard for him to communicate. However, since he has been gluten free for 3 months, we do see changes that he is slooooowly getting better. He has calmer days, more empathy, and feels bad about yelling at everyone. What I want to know is how long did it take those of you to regain your "balance" or social being, once you first went gluten free? were your mood swings a way of life before going gluten free or are they just part of it now, whenever you are glutened? Thanks for sharing. There is s much to learn.

this mood thing really fits my son. he is so grumpy, irritable, sad, crazed, and in discomfort due to stomach pain and constipation, that he screams all the time. he acts like he is loosing his mind, and it is hard for him to communicate. However, since he has been gluten free for 3 months, we do see changes that he is slooooowly getting better. He has calmer days, more empathy, and feels bad about yelling at everyone. What I want to know is how long did it take those of you to regain your "balance" or social being, once you first went gluten free? were your mood swings a way of life before going gluten free or are they just part of it now, whenever you are glutened? Thanks for sharing. There is s much to learn.

Hi acod, it actually took me a year before my mood returned to 'normal'. I was a pretty even-keeled person before my celiac disease was triggered, and then I was very depressive for the six months I was the most sick. Once I went gluten free there was a small immediate improvement, and then slowly back to all better after a year or so. I think I would have recovered faster if I'd been feeding myself properly, instead of just being gluten-free. Now I eat lots of fatty things like avocado, coconut oil, organic, free-range chicken with the skin on, raw olive oil, nuits and things. These kinds of fats help your brain and the nerve endings in your gut to repair themselves. All the starchy food I used to eat just doesn't nourish those cells. Hope this helps!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

My celiac was triggered by emotional stress, and right before I went gluten-free my mood swings, depression and anxiety were nearly out of control - but looking back I think I always had tendencies. There were times I thought I was going to lose my mind, or never recover. But as soon as I cut it out, most of the anxiety - the absolute worst of it - went away almost immediately. And it comes back almost immediately when I get glutened. But it took me I think about 8-9 months to start feeling "normal," or regain my balance, as you say. I think behavior issues that are sparked by gluten can take a long time to recover from because they aren't entirely physical, and it's traumatizing to feel like that all the time. It's hard to learn to trust your body and mind again, which I would think would be especially hard on your son it he's young. You have to detach yourself from the way that you are used to feeling and have courage to let yourself feel good and healthy, and that's hard enough to do as an aware adult. I can't image doing it at a young age. And not only that but all of your comfort food is gone!

I hope this helps.

Omg I'm the same way!! Pre-gluten-free I was actually DX'd bipolar AND borderline personality disorder. I went thru an intensive treatment program (that T was the 1st to believe that there was something physical wrong!). Now that I'm gluten-free I'm like the chillest person ever. It's a fascinating difference. One of my first symptoms of a glutening is by meanness. I just suddenly feel emotionally out of control. I'm so glad I'm not alone!!

Yep. Completely antisocial, irritable, snappy, anxious, tired, headachy. I just don't want to deal with anyone.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Well now, I can tell you that it is not always us that is antisocial - its the world that sometimes misses the point. The last time I had a reaction was on an overnight flight to Europe (USA-UK). The airline, which once did gluten free has stopped, provided me with a meal that was vegetarian, rather than low sodium (they have no sauce). One fork full of rice and I knew that something was not quite right. 8hrs later, after having a 10 yr sleeping like a restless octapus on my stomach and having had to undo every button on my slacks due to bloating, we arrived. Husband picked us up. He was in a rental car. He took us to my mother's house and on the way calmly mentioned that he expected me to drive my mothers brand new car into Birmingham (Major city in country that drives on the other side of the road), so he could drop off the rental. I haven't driven in England for 25 yrs, and he wanted me drive into a town that would scare the living daylights out of me even then.

I believe I spent something like 30 minutes telling him exactly what I thought of his idea!!!! The gluten reaction just made the aurgument more colorful perhaps! (and I got my way).

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    freedom.dtt
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)