Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

All Peeps, most chocolate bunnies, every brand jelly bean I've ever checked (except Brach's, which is almost certainly gluten-free but they won't comment), Cadbury eggs.

richard

I am working on my first gluten-free Easter for my child this year...any ideas on items for the basket? Easter bread recipes? Thanks for any input!

Dear nothungry,

I understand the anxiety. Don't worry, there is actually more candy we can eat than healthy food! I know a ton of things you can get for your child! Here is a list for you:

Cadbury Creme and Caramel Eggs

Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs and Cups

Hershey's Milk Chocolate Pastel Wrapped Kisses

Skittles

Easter Milk Chocolate and/or Peanut M&Ms

Marshmallow Peeps (chicks and bunnies)

Starburst Candy

Jolly Ranchers

Jelly Bellys Jelly Beans (all flavors except the cinnamon toast flavor)

Hershey's Miniatures except for the Crispy Ones

Snicker's

Milky Way Midnight (None of the others are gluten free)

Mounds and Almond Joy Candy Bars

Also, some non-edible stuff your child might like:

An activity book

Crayons or markers

Pens

Stuffed Animal like a stuffed bunny

Miniature radio controlled car

Get out of chore free card

I hope this helps you out!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Thanks for the info! Time to get shopping!

Dear nothungry,

You are very welcome!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Cadbury Creme and Caramel Eggs

I just did a little dance in my office. The Cadbury Creme eggs are gluten free dance!

Geoff

Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006

Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

Dear Kassie,

Thanks for warning us about the little Reese's eggs. We could have gotten sick had we eaten them. Of course, we should always read labels!

Dear GeoffCJ,

I was ecstatic when I learned about these as well! They are so good!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

I just did a little dance in my office. The Cadbury Creme eggs are gluten free dance!

Geoff

lol me too! these were my favorite childhood easter candy! gonna go get a whole bunch of them for my "adult" easter!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Thanks for the list!

How about the Hershey's Milk Chocolate eggs in the pastel wrappers? Nothing looks suspicious in the ingredients, just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Cali

Cali

Here to support and cook for:

Jared (Husband with Celiac.) diagnosed and gluten free since Nov.2005

Abby ( 6 yrs old) diagnosed with celiac and gluten free since Nov.2005

Griffin (4 yrs old) not diagnosed but gluten free since Nov. 2005

Hershey's Miniatures except for the Crispy Ones

Warning: The bag of Hersey's miniatures I am holding in my hand states "MALT" in the ingredients list right on the bag. Hershey's miniatures in bulk bags are NOT gluten-free.

Also, Hersheys has changed their gluten policy. They used to say that they would clearly list gluten on the package. Now they say you have to call each and every time to check the gluten status of a particular item.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Dear nmw,

Thanks for the warning! I am sad to report I am going to have to give all of the mainstream stuff up. I cannot have casein either! :( It has given me a lot of trouble! I thought I was being glutened, but some of it apparently was the milk!

Dear Guhlia,

Someone else said something about that. How disappointing! :( I better go change my beginner's guide. It is essential to keep current. Hershey really needs to straighten out their priorities. The only place I will be able to get chocolate from now on is The Chocolate Emporium.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

only the big reese's eggs are safe. the small ones have wheat flour in them

I'm just wondering where this info came from... It doesn't mention wheat flour anywhere in the ingredients... however, I'm leaning toward believing you, since I got glutened today and those are the only candidate.

Also, Hersheys has changed their gluten policy. They used to say that they would clearly list gluten on the package. Now they say you have to call each and every time to check the gluten status of a particular item.

That really and truly sucks. :( Why do companies have to make it so difficult for us? I was always so happy that Hershey's was upfront about this stuff.

CADBERRY CREME EGGS ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE!! :( We just picked them up two weekends ago and checked the label. It says right on it Glucose Sugar (WHEAT). You can double check, but I just went and read the label again.

Sorry...

CADBERRY CREME EGGS ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE!! :( We just picked them up two weekends ago and checked the label. It says right on it Glucose Sugar (WHEAT). You can double check, but I just went and read the label again.

Sorry...

There are two very acrtive current threads regarding Carbury Eggs, please read these.

GLUCOSE, GLUCOSE SYRUP AND CARAMEL COLOUR

It is important for those following a gluten-free diet to incorporate the latest valid scientific information into their diets. Under current Australian food law,

glucose, glucose syrup and caramel colour are "gluten-free",

even if derived from wheat, as the wheat is so highly processed,

there is no gluten detected.

Glucose, glucose syrup, caramel and similar ingredients have no detectable gluten, even if derived from wheat.

New food labelling laws require food labels to list all ingredients derived from wheat, rye, barley and oats.

This does not mean that all ingredients derived from these sources actually contain gluten.

So, it is a legal requirement that the source be declared, but remember that ingredients derived from wheat that are gluten free are:

dextrose, glucose and caramel colour (additive 150).

Accuracy of "Gluten-Free" Labels

The legal definition of the phrase "gluten-free" varies from country to country. Current research suggests that for persons with celiac disease the maximum safe level of gluten in a finished product is probably less than 0.02% (200 parts per million) and possibly as little as 0.002% (20 parts per million).

Australian standards reserve the "gluten free" label for foods with less than 5 parts per million of gluten, as this is the smallest amount currently detectable.

As gluten-containing grains are processed,

more and more of the gluten is removed from them,

as shown in this simple processing flow:

Wheat Flour (80,000ppm) > Wheat Starch Codex (200ppm) > Dextrin > Maltodextrin > Glucose Syrup (<5ppm) > Dextrose > Caramel Color

Unfortunately, in the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not yet defined the term gluten free as it appears on food labels.

It is currently up to the manufacturers of "gluten free" food items to guarantee such a claim.

"A final rule that defines the term gluten-free and identifies the criteria that would enable the food industry to use that term" is scheduled to be released by the FDA on August 2nd, 2008.

Many so-called gluten free products have been found to have been contaminated with gluten (such as Pamela's cookies, etc.).

Reference

United States

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing to, “define the food labeling term “gluten-free” to mean that a food bearing this claim does not contain any of the following:

An ingredient that is a “prohibited grain”, which refers to any species of wheat (durum, wheat, spelt wheat, or kamut), rye, barley or their crossbred hybrids

An ingredient that is derived from a “prohibited grain” and that has not been processed to remove gluten

An ingredient that is derived from a “prohibited grain” that has been processed to remove gluten,

if the use of the ingredient results in the presence of 20 micrograms or more gluten per gram of food

An ingredient containing 20 micrograms or more gluten per gram of food”

Reference

It would seem that under present US law sources must be stated ie. Glucose Syrup (from Wheat)

That however doesn't necessarily mean it contains sufficient levels of gluten to be harmful ie. < 5PPM

I don't know if this helps to explain the situation, or just makes it more complicated.

(submitted by Irish Dave)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Many so-called gluten free products have been found to have been contaminated with gluten (such as Pamela's cookies, etc.).

Pamelas???!!!! :huh::o:angry: What? When?

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Pamelas???!!!! :huh::o:angry: What? When?

Where in the world did that quote come from??????? Got to go look now!! I love Pamela's ....

That was taken from another thread submitted by another member. My guess is that it was referring to the premade cookies. I have no personal experience with premade cookies, but love their mixes.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

We keep a pkg of the premade cookies at school in case of a surprise b-day treat from another kid. If this is true, it's HORRIBLE!! I really trusted that company!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

So does anyone know where to find an active list of gluten-free Easter/anytime candy? I might just stick with See's this year :) My fave anyway! For some reason I've been thinking that Almond Joys are not gluten-free. Thought I read something on a label. Anyone know? Also, what about the mint 3 Musketeers?

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Although I am making huge attempts and progress at not consuming any sugar right now..big task for this sugar toothe..I am impressed to see so many post with the word See's in them. Hands down the best handmade chocolates out there today.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    freedom.dtt
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)